By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii U using 7th gen Tech?

Is the Wii U truly next gen? (Tech wise)

Yes 97 43.11%

No 104 46.22%

Wait until you see the tr... 24 10.67%

Total:225

It's next gen because of the time-frame of the consoles release, it's the next console cycle. Simple as that. Has nothing to do with price, power of graphics or anything about the system itself.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:

CPU: 32.76mm^2
GPU: 156.21mm^2
3rd die: 2.65mm^2

So no it isn't theoretical to say that the PS3 has more CPU performance. It isn't theoretical so say that the PS3 has twice the memory bandwidth. So whilst you're busy arguing based on wishful thinking the facts are starting to emerge. You can't simplify 7 years of tool development and PowerPC optimisation as 'wait for the performance' when all the hard work has already been done. The Wii U is based on existing technology so I wouldn't hold my breath for optimisation when that optimisation has already been done for the most part.

So, how much edram does the Wii U have? What is the bandwidth and latency of this edram? How is it allocated between frame-buffers and texture cache?

If the PS3 is more powerful than the Wii U, and the Wii U is rendering 50% more pixels than the PS3, why don't we see significant improvements in visuals in highly optimized PS3 games over first generation Wii U games?

6 years or work by Epic, Ubisoft, EA Games/Bioware, Activision and Rocksteady working to optimize performance for the PS3 and the Wii U gets similar performance while rendering to a second screen on ports created by small/unknown developers who were rushed to make it out for launch; either these games were ported by the best developers in the world or the Wii U is more powerful. TODAY we have evidence that the Wii U is more powerful ... We can't say much beyond that because nothing has been shown to be dramatically more demanding than PS3 games, but you would have to be in denial to argue otherwise.

How much eDRAM? 32MB is the most likely quantity given the strong suggestions made by multiple sources. The allocation is likely up to the developer.

We also know that it consumes 33 watts of power when running a game.

So yes a 33W console with small die sizes and tiny memory bandwidth isn't a graphical behemoth. Every number which has come out has not pointed to the Wii U being a powerful console even compared to the ancient PS3 and Xbox 360.

Tease.

because it is a new console and the PS3 and 360 are last hell if your like me and count handhelds with the vita and 3DS we are already in the next gen for about a year now

this is nintendo's new home consoles, thus next generation.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

I will withhold final judgement until I play it. But it seems very much like the DreamCast. Where it's a nice upgrade, but may be surpassed rather quickly in a year or two. Although, it was finances, not quality, that stopped the Dreamcast. If Sega had been making more money it might still be making consoles (and we might not have the Xbox.)

I think much of the distraction have to do with that nothing has blown people away - especially compared to what a decent PC can do right now. When the Wii came out it was a new way of playing. I am just not getting the same excitement with the WiiU.

I hope I and wrong and it really raises the bar. So MS and Sony really have to make something spectacular to compete with it.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Hrmm.. pretty reasonable.

Yay!!!

babuks said:
The way I see it, WiiU is Nintendo's second hardware in the same generation. It's like they re-released Gamecube hardware as 'Wii' and extended that generation. Now they are catching up HD consoles with WiiU.

Exactly. I don't have any hate for Nintendo, as they're basically the company of my childhood (33 years old). But come on, it doesn't take a genius to see what they're doing here. After releasing the Gamecube and getting owned for the second time sales wise, they threw in the towel and came up with a clever way of making money. They took what was SUPPOSE to be an add on controller for the Gamecube (Wiimote), threw the Gamecube's guts into a new shinny case, and called in a "new" machine. What happened? MONEY!! So it shouldn't shock anyone to find out that they did it again with the Wii-U. Power wise, it's basically a 360 with a Nintendo logo on it.

I don't wish them ill will, but I think their luck will run out and they'll finish dead last this gen. Hopefully it sends them back to the drawing board and they actually start making new IP and innovative hardware like the NES days. That's MY wish anyway.

I think it's next generation. When a next generation of people arrive in the world, it's not like they're born with laser cannons and x-ray vision. They're just the next generation to be born. Honestly video game generations is just a helpful way to organize so many systems in a chronological way.

I think the more important question is why do so many people WANT it to be current-generation.

prayformojo said:
babuks said:
The way I see it, WiiU is Nintendo's second hardware in the same generation. It's like they re-released Gamecube hardware as 'Wii' and extended that generation. Now they are catching up HD consoles with WiiU.

Exactly. I don't have any hate for Nintendo, as they're basically the company of my childhood (33 years old). But come on, it doesn't take a genius to see what they're doing here. After releasing the Gamecube and getting owned for the second time sales wise, they threw in the towel and came up with a clever way of making money. They took what was SUPPOSE to be an add on controller for the Gamecube (Wiimote), threw the Gamecube's guts into a new shinny case, and called in a "new" machine. What happened? MONEY!! So it shouldn't shock anyone to find out that they did it again with the Wii-U. Power wise, it's basically a 360 with a Nintendo logo on it.

I don't wish them ill will, but I think their luck will run out and they'll finish dead last this gen. Hopefully it sends them back to the drawing board and they actually start making new IP and innovative hardware like the NES days. That's MY wish anyway.

Sorry, but you guys are wrong. The word generation defines age, not power. If generation defines power then the Dreamcast and Xbox are not in the same generation. The Playstation and N64 are not in the same generation either. By your definition of generation, this is something like the 30th generation of consoles. The 7th Gen was Xbox360, PS3, Wii, PSP, and DS. The 8th Gen is WiiU, Xbox720, PS4, 3DS, and PSVita.

Edit: The only company stupid enough to throw out two consoles in the same generation was Atari, and we all know what happened to them.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

d21lewis said:

I think the same thing applies to the Wii U.  We see games like Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Batman Arkham City, etc. running on the Wii U and we think, "It's not a big step above the 360/PS3" or "The PS3/360 can do it better".  What people seem to be forgetting is that these titles represent the culmination of six or seven years of learning to optimize the current gen consoles.  In many regards, these are the pinnacle of the gen.  The best of the best.  The absolute best of this gen is just the Wii U's starting point.  The true potential has yet to be revealed.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Your right that the Wii U is generation eight, but not for the reason you say. Wii U is gen 8 because it is Nintendo's entry in gen 8. It's as simple as that.

As for the system's ability to hold up against the next Playstation and Xbox, I doubt it will. The Wii U seems to be designed to run HD games today with little thought of future  horsepower needs. I fully expect MS and Sony to launch far more powerfull machines at very little higher price points.

I don't think it matters though. I don't buy Nintendo machines for their hardware specs. I buy them for the 1st party games. It's the only place to play the latest Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. That's all Nintendo needs to be successfull and they know it. If the Wii had been HD I wouldn't mind if they kept pumping out games for it for a decade without a new system. For me Nintendo games don't need the most advanced graphics so long as they have great art style and gameplay.

Wii U is next gen. I don't see it competeing for the core gamer after the more powerfull consoles release. Nintendo fans will always be there, but time will tell if that will be enough. We have yet to see if soccor mom's and grandparents will get tricked into buying in or not. My guess is they think the Wii U is some new controller for their Wii they stoped playing years ago.