By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii U using 7th gen Tech?

Is the Wii U truly next gen? (Tech wise)

Yes 97 43.11%

No 104 46.22%

Wait until you see the tr... 24 10.67%

Total:225
Soleron said:

No, it's much more recent technology, but NIntendo only had $150 to work with (Gamepad is the rest). Even the die-shrunk Xbox 360 is still $200, so it's not surprising that Nintendo ended up with 360-like performance for a 360-like price.

Nintendo also prioritises low power consumption, size and heat, which are tradeoffs with performance compared to the current gen as well. Wii U will consume much less at load than a 360.

If the CONSOLE (minus Gamepad) was allowed to be $300-400 and consume power like a launch PS3 did, we'd see what we'll get with a PS4 or 720.

They are a bit too obsessed with low power consumption, if you ask me.

The Wii U uses what, 40w?...if it used 60/70w (still efficient), I wonder if we´d be seeing so many 'it doesn´t feel next gen' impressions.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
Soleron said:

No, it's much more recent technology, but NIntendo only had $150 to work with (Gamepad is the rest). Even the die-shrunk Xbox 360 is still $200, so it's not surprising that Nintendo ended up with 360-like performance for a 360-like price.

Nintendo also prioritises low power consumption, size and heat, which are tradeoffs with performance compared to the current gen as well. Wii U will consume much less at load than a 360.

If the CONSOLE (minus Gamepad) was allowed to be $300-400 and consume power like a launch PS3 did, we'd see what we'll get with a PS4 or 720.

The Wii U uses what, 40w?...if it used 60/70w (still efficient), I wonder if we´d be seeing so many 'it doesn´t feel next gen' impressions.

And how much would you be willing to pay for this?

The problem is people are not prepaired to pay big money for console (except hardcore fans).

Cobretti2 said:
zuvuyeay said:
Wii_R2_Hardcore said:
So... please, somebdy tell me, do you think the Wii-U will eventually get GTA V?

no reason why it shouldn't is there

There is one:

ENVY by 3rd parties of Nintendo's game sale success.

did they have a run in once rockstar with nintendo,a memory is floating back

but from some of the threads i'm reading nintendo and the WiiU will be the only console left standing so they'll ahve to port GTAV

Above & Beyond

Cobretti2 said:
JGarret said:
Soleron said:

The problem is people are not prepaired to pay big money for console (except hardcore fans).

Dude, I realize I´m an exception, games are (along with car racing) among my favorite hobbies, so yeah I´m always willing to pay more than the average joe, but I was talking more along the lines of "there´s a 7 year period between the 360 and Wii U, couldn´t they provide a substantial tech improvement while keeping a $350 price tag and just a bit higher watt consumption?"

I don´t understand the tech talk...CPU, GPU, RAM, etc...I´m a layman, and the layman in me is impressed that a system that comes out 7 years after another can´t offer substantial improvement while avoiding a high price tag.

But then again, the layman in me might be wrong and the Wii U is actually a pretty nice improvement over the 360/PS3, but one that we´ll only see several months from now...and I´m impatient >_>

JGarret said:
Cobretti2 said:
JGarret said:
Soleron said:

Dude, I realize I´m an exception, games are (along with car racing) among my favorite hobbies, so yeah I´m always willing to pay more than the average joe, but I was talking more along the lines of "there´s a 7 year period between the 360 and Wii U, couldn´t they provide a substantial tech improvement while keeping a $350 price tag and just a bit higher watt consumption?"

I don´t understand the tech talk...CPU, GPU, RAM, etc...I´m a layman, and the layman in me is impressed that a system that comes out 7 years after another can´t offer substantial improvement while avoiding a high price tag.

But then again, the layman in me might be wrong and the Wii U is actually a pretty nice improvement over the 360/PS3, but one that we´ll only see several months from now...and I´m impatient >_>

Pah. Enough ports of current-gen games that aren't Batman.

I want to see Ground Zeroes on Wii U. A next-gen game that's being stuck with old hardware, and should use the extra power off the Wii U to realize it's potential.

*end absurd dream sequence*

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
JGarret said:
Cobretti2 said:
JGarret said:
Soleron said:

The base model is still under $100 more than the 360 and PS3. You get what you pay for, value-wise.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

If Nintendo had allowed a 60-65 watt console, which isn't anything crazy (still lower than the newest PS3 I believe), they'd have a pretty powerful console I think.

30-35 watts probably gimps the system considerably even with efficient modern hardware designs.

But Nintendo likes to have power efficient and small consoles, and that comes with a price of its own.

Soundwave said:
If Nintendo had allowed a 60-65 watt console, which isn't anything crazy (still lower than the newest PS3 I believe), they'd have a pretty powerful console I think.

30-35 watts probably gimps the system considerably even with efficient modern hardware designs.

But Nintendo likes to have power efficient and small consoles, and that comes with a price of its own.

Japan loves things to be tiny, just fits better into their lifestyle of really small but efficient living. Small consoles, small handhelds, even small dic.... e for... umm.... use in board games!

Regarding the battery pack in the gamepad, that compartment does look like it could definately house a bigger higher capacity battery perhaps when there is more call for longer life they'll release a larger one themselves to give it more juice with an increase in weight.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

JGarret said:

It's 75W.

Low power consumption is not the point, the point is to make consumer friendly electronics, that relatively small, quite and does not boil your water like a stove.

Mr Khan said:
maverick40 said:
ninetailschris said:
maverick40 said:

The Wii U is using DDR3-800 ram in the system. Basically Intel Nehalem used this back in 2007 for system CPU not for video.Do you expect the likes of Unreal engine 3 to be recoded for a CPU and video ram that's slower than 7 year old consoles? This means the Wii U has half the ram of the 360.

Umm batman uses unreal engine3.

btw it being clocked lower doesn't mean it is weaker where do you people get this stuff?

one thing it does not mean the wii-u is half the ram of xbox360. Do people come into topics like this and claim to know what they thinking because everyone is doing the same?

here you go broooo!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6465/nintendo-wii-u-teardown

Your line of thought here comes perilously close to qualifying as trolling.

Why? Because I posted a link? Seriously?