By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lost RPG Franchises: Where Are They Now?

Tagged games:

I agree with people who say that turn-based RPGs are what we want. I am tired of these games that sell out the genre making it more actiony.

Luckily more true console-style RPGs still thrive on handheld.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I fell in love with RPGs back in late 80s with Dungeon Master, and than shortly after that with Might&Magic series (both on Amiga, additional M&M later on PC). I was not big fan of RPGs before that (though I tried several on C64), but those 2 changed my view of that genre back in the day. Both franchises are dead unfortunately, and though recent Legend of Grimrock nicely revives style of Dungeon Master and similar games, so I can't say I miss it terribly, I'm particularly sad about Might&Magic - M&M VI and VII are one of my all time favourite games, so I'm always hopeful that Ubisoft (as current owner of franchise) will reactivate it at some point, if nothing else than to try and take some of the Elder Scrolls market with it.

I miss Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts Covenant, Secret of Mana 2, Grandia and Grandia II with a passion .

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

It's been too long without a Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile. Oh damn those are SquareEnix franchises, the Japanese company that doesn't make Japanese games (facepalms)

Player2 said:
weaveworld said:
Shadow Hearts was so freaking awesome... I think lack of interest killed it which is a damn shame!

Also, give us TURN-BASED games!!! Jeezzz, how many terrible half-ass action systems are gonna be used before the good old simple turn-based gets a shot again at conquering the gaming world.

My game doesn't have to be shiny as hell, it doesn't have to cost 10 million dollar to produce, as long as it is worth it in gameplay and story!!!

Don't the sales from ps1 classics from the store tell developers anything?

There you have it. Are you man enough to play it?

Aaah my 2012 GOTY! very good pick.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
ryuzaki57 said:
It's been too long without a Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile. Oh damn those are SquareEnix franchises, the Japanese company that doesn't make Japanese games (facepalms)

The last VP came out in 2009 for the NDS.

The Last Star Ocean came out in 2008 (new installment) and 2009 (for the remakes). 

I doubt we'll see a new one if any until for another 3-4 years.

Nope. Star Ocean International came out in 2010, and it's still too long! I want a new SO NOW, not some retarded westernized games. SquareEnix is the worst company in the video game world.

Player2 said:

You can add Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean and Front Mission to this list.

The first two because it doesn't look like tri-Ace will work with Square-Enix again, and the last one because that aberration called Front Mission Evolved killed it.

After Star Ocean 4, they made the right decision by letting it die.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The best rpgs are on PS1 and PS2 consoles, Shadow Hearts and Xenosaga anyone?

jlrx said:

Reading your initial post, you missed

Chrono Trigger, had a sequel in Chrono Cross and that was it.

Lunar Silver Star Story, followed by Lunar Eternal Blue, nothing since (perhaps you can count that DS offshoot or remake??) Its anime cut scenes and voice acting were great (I know the cut scenes were enhanced later on).

Dragon Force, had a sequel in Japan only, was an excellent albeit repetitive at times strategy RPG, perhaps when Working Designs failed (company who localized the first one) any hope of seeing more went away?

and ofcourse we can say Baldurs Gate is missed, though I believe it was an expired license that ended that franchise after the second one and forced the third one to be an expansion to the second game.

I miss Working Designs!  Lunar, Iron Storm, Dragon Force, Vanguard Bandits.  I loved those games.

outlawauron said:
Player2 said:

You can add Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean and Front Mission to this list.

The first two because it doesn't look like tri-Ace will work with Square-Enix again, and the last one because that aberration called Front Mission Evolved killed it.

After Star Ocean 4, they made the right decision by letting it die.

I loved Star Ocean 4