By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: New PS4 details from PSM3 Magazine

Marks said:
$500 and no BC, has to be a troll article. No way Sony is that stupid and learned nothing from PS3.

from what i understand of how the ps3 is designed it'll be unlikely that it'll be supported via backward compatibility in its successor

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
If this is all true, Sony really is doomed. Fortunately, it probably isn't. I don't think Sony is dumb enough to keep hedging their bets on the move.

sony has been "hedging their bets on the move."?

o_O.Q said:
Marks said:
$500 and no BC, has to be a troll article. No way Sony is that stupid and learned nothing from PS3.

from what i understand of how the ps3 is designed it'll be unlikely that it'll be supported via backward compatibility in its successor

exactly - the ps4 will not be able to emulate ps3. gaikai is another story, but that's it alone. ok, sony could build the ps3 *also* in the ps4-case but eh... no :)

o_O.Q said:
Marks said:

Well no backwards comp. I can believe, but $500 no way! If it's anything over $400 I think Sony is retarded. 

JEMC said:

As others have said, if they decide to implement an anti 2nd hand games feature, they can say goodbye to success. And I would never buy a console with ads.

Games being registered isn't a problem, and PS3 BC is something to be expected given that they are going with a completely different architecture.

Also from that link,

The console will use an AMD Accelerated Processor (4 cores). The chip carries the code name "Liverpool" and is produced in a 28-nanometer process.

Where is this coming from? The rumors talked about an 8-core chip, and now it's a 4-core one? And AMC CPUs are made by Global Industries which doesn't have a 28nm fab process yet.

The only hardware related "info" that I can believe to be true is Sony going with 16GB of Flash storage, for the lower model.

Actually the latest rumors have claimed an AMD APU. Earlier rumors had an A8 Llano, current rumors have an A10 Piledriver.

As far as 28nm process goes, it's still up for question. AMD had planned to move forward to 28nm fab process for Steamroller next year, however, they just recently delayed Steamroller. According to their recent road map, 2013 will be "Piledriver 2.0"

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)