By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Has anyone seen Cloverfield? If so, what did you think of it?

Garcian Smith said:
Here's the key to enjoying this movie: Don't analyze it.

Just look at the big monster and all the scary scenes and enjoy them. :)

You make a good point as I became increasing unimpressed as time went on. Unfortunately for me, I am an analytical person. So its my nature. If I hadn't had such high hopes for the movie I'd be more impressed.

Around the Network

Garcian has it right, to enjoy this movie you must be braindead. DONT THINK - you might enjoy this movie then!

Saintelistan86 - "If you don't like this movie, you have no idea what film making is about."

Film making is about not using camera men? Not having a plot? Giving no information about the characters except that they are "friends"? Putting a nonsensical title on it? Not bothering with an ending? hell, where was the climax? since when were horror movies rated PG-13? "genius" with a 70 minute movie?

but yeah if you just dont think about it or pretend that just because you like Abrams it makes it a good movie - well even then you are lieing to yourself. this is a pathetic movie meant to entertain the braindead who dont like plots or developed characters.

It's a pretty worthless movie, but it'll appeal to a lot of people just because that's how the movie was designed...to appeal to a lot of people....not to be a good movie, or revolutionary, etc. Just to make money.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

dgm6780 said:
Garcian has it right, to enjoy this movie you must be braindead. DONT THINK - you might enjoy this movie then!

"Don't analyze it" != "Be brain dead." If you can't tell the difference, then you must not enjoy very many movies. Or, well, much of anything else, for that matter.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
dgm6780 said:
Saintelistan86 - "If you don't like this movie, you have no idea what film making is about."

Film making is about not using camera men? Not having a plot? Giving no information about the characters except that they are "friends"? Putting a nonsensical title on it? Not bothering with an ending? hell, where was the climax? since when were horror movies rated PG-13? "genius" with a 70 minute movie?

but yeah if you just dont think about it or pretend that just because you like Abrams it makes it a good movie - well even then you are lieing to yourself. this is a pathetic movie meant to entertain the braindead who dont like plots or developed characters.

Since when did a"horror" film have to be rated R?  that fits into only movies that are filled with blood and gore are scary.  Last time i checked, fear is not reliant on someone being dismembered or guts and blood all over.  If you think a movie like Hostel or Saw is what is considered to be a horror movie, then you dont know what your talking about.  You do realize one of the greatest horror films that started the entire "psychological thriller" and "slasher genre" of horror films is Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock.  Have you seen that movie, there is very little in the way of blood in it, in fact, by todays standards, it conservative as hell, yet it still is a very good piece of work by letting your imagination fill in the spots, rather then enveloping you into the gruesome details.

This is all besides the point cuz the movie isnt a Horror film, its a monster movie.  Did anyone ever consider Godzilla a horror film?  hopefully not.  

By the way, how are you going to say this movie doesnt use camera men?  Theres a camera, right?  who the fuck is holding it then?  If i remember right, in the credits they do credit a DP.  If they just had some actor running around with it the entire time, they wouldnt need to be crediting DPs, now would they?  

Whats the genius of this movie?  cuz everything you complained about is whats the point of the movie.  The entire thing is meant to be about a video tape found of people who experienced the attack.  You think somehow magically they are going to come up with an explanation to the monster while attacking it, give you the entire thing before they get clipped?  The point of the entire film is for you to sit there wondering WTF is that.  Thats what makes it interesting.  If it was like Godzilla where half way through they describe it as some sort of radioactive mutant lizard, well, the mystery is gone then, isnt it?  

Its a movie where you know nothing more then the characters in it, you see what they experience through their own eyes, the fear of not knowing what the hell is going on and trying to get through an extraordinary experience.

Did you even watch it, personally the 70 minute run time wasnt bad.  Does every movie now a day have to be at least 2 hours long?  i happen to remember just 10 years ago movies averaged out at an hour and a half.  

Finally, the title.  Why is it nonsensical? They named it after what the incident of Codenamed.  Ive seen worse movie titles out there.  

This movie is a good movie because it tries to move out of the usual crap hollywood brings us.  It breaks a lot of the rules and changes things up.  Its not meant for everyone, but it definetly isnt a braindead film.  This is actually a blockbuster quality film being done on a low budget. (for this kind of film)

People arent going to like this movies, while others will.  I hope it does well because then maybe hollywood will quit giving us sequels to movies that originally came out 20 years ago, and still use the same fucking actors to make the new ones.  

P.S.  People mentioned this open to a sequel.  Personally i dont see how they will come up with a sequel to this movie.  Everyone is dead.  The movie is essentially a flashback.  Unless they do some stupid ass shit like they did with the Blair Witch Project (which part of me doubts)  this movie really isnt open for a sequel.  Just because you have no idea whether the monster lives or dies, doesnt mean there is a sequel.   

Darc Requiem said:
thetonestarr said:
Darc Requiem said:
I liked the idea of the movies but i didn't like the execution. Cloverfield is not a monster movie. Its a love story with a monster attack as the back drop. I left the theatre knowing pretty the same amount of info that I did going in. Plus a couple of things about the movie really bothered me, especially the ridiculous initial evacuation plan.

You're a fool. The plotline - "love story" - was largely a gimmick, playing into many stereotypical elements of the over-sized monster flick. The plotline was a mere vehicle by which to carry across a mood of pandemonium, suspense, confusion and adrenaline; it was a vehicle to carry across the cinematic/cinematographic creativity of Abrams and his talented counterparts.

Every bit of the movie was about the monsters and the devastation they wrought.

On another topic, I saw an artist's rendition of the lice the other day, but for the life of me, I can't locate it anymore. Has anybody else happened on it, by chance? And I'm not talking about the louse pictured with the Cthulhu-esque (whalelike) monster, either. 

Plotline. It doesn't have one. Not only do you learn practically nothing. The movie just plain ridiculous at points.

SPOILER!!!

There is large creature attacking a city with a expansive subway system and they evacuate everyone over the Brooklyn Bridge which is plain view of the creature. As Dgm6780 said, one of the main characters isn't their friend. Yet she follows them instead of evacuating. She is going to follow them towards the creature instead taking the more responsible secondary evacuation plan using helicopters to air lift citizens away from the creature. I understand Rob, Beth was one of his best friends. They slept together which made things awkward since he landed a job out of the country. I mean I could see Lily coing along as well after what happened to Jason, and Hud was his best friend but come on a complete stranger is going to say "Oh lets go save Beth!" When they are in the subway and all the rats are running in droves done the tunnel. They stop and try to see what the hell they rats are running from. I could see them doing this if they didn't already know their was some giant creature of unknown origin destroying the city. They do, yet stop and try to see what they are running from. Get the hell out of their you IDIOTS. Not to mention the most glaring oversight, if the something like that attacked a US city, none of their weapons were having any affect, they were taking heavy civilian casualties in addition to the military casualties, and it was causing people to explode after being bit by its little underlings they would just nuked the damn city.

NY is arguably the most important financial center in the world, home to some of the most important companies, Nuking it would be a last ditch type of thing

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

As I said, given the biological hazard and the fact that their conventional weapons were having no effect they would have nuked the damn thing.

it looked like a freak

^_^

Count me in with the brain-dead people. I enjoyed it.

@dgm6780:

Seems to me that you went into the movie intending to not like it. If so, then why waste the money?