By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Has anyone seen Cloverfield? If so, what did you think of it?

I haven't been in a theater for a couple of years and Cloverfield looks really great from the trailers and previews.

If anyone can describe their experience with the movie thoroughly (with just the movie and not outside interferences like a kid throwing popcorn at you) that would be deeply appreciated.  

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Around the Network

I saw it last night. It's a very satisfying monster movie, and pretty damn scary in parts. If you like monster movies, then go see it; if not, then it probably won't change your mind.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Ive seen it twice. Its great. Some complain about motion sickness so just be aware of that.

I didn't like it. The monster was very cool-looking, but it wasn't scary, and the acting and writing made me sick, not the camera-work.

I just came back from the movie theater and i felt maybe a sequel will be released. It was a great movie but It left many questions un answered.
Great movie...........Made me feel dizzy at the beggining.

^_^

Around the Network

I have not seen it but everyone I know thats seen it have said it was terrible, but I don't know, I can't make my own judgement since I haven't seen it.

They said a lot of it made no sense though and a lot of stuff wasn't explained and that the camera was more annoying than realistic shaky cam feeling.

But according to my brother and the friends of mine that have seen it the characters all act pretty unrealistically to things but I guess thats typical of any horror/monster movie.

I still have to see the movie though and would like to.

PC Gamer

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=14815#end

Ickalanda said:
I have not seen it but everyone I know thats seen it have said it was terrible, but I don't know, I can't make my own judgement since I haven't seen it.

They said a lot of it made no sense though and a lot of stuff wasn't explained and that the camera was more annoying than realistic shaky cam feeling.

But according to my brother and the friends of mine that have seen it the characters all act pretty unrealistically to things but I guess thats typical of any horror/monster movie.

I still have to see the movie though and would like to.

The film makes more sense than your friends seem to think. The characters and their motivations are all laid out in the first 20 minutes of the film, but you do have to pay attention to what's going on rather than look at your watch waiting for monsters. In that regard, everything relevent is explained. The monster is not, just as Romero's zombies and Titanic's icebergs are not. The origin/explanation of the creature is irrelevant to the story, which is about the characters, not the creature.

The only truly unrealistic action I can think of in the film is Hud's decision to continue filming even in mundane situations like climbing stairs or stopping for a rest, but this is a necessary compromise in order to have a cohesive film. While the characters make one very... controversial decision midway through the film that dictates the action of the rest of the film, an action that a detatched observe may say is unrealistic, I can say that such decisions were not uncommon on 9/11 (which, obviously, strongly colors Cloverfield).

For those who need some answers on the monster click here (it doesn't spoil the film):
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/01/09/...etter-monster/

And if you are wondering, perhaps, what was JJA's frame of mind in making this film, why he chose to tell what he told and not tell what he didn't:
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/205 

I just saw the movie a few hours ago and I thought it was awesome, but a lot of people in the theater I could tell were disappointed. You just have to remember that movie takes place through an unexperienced (and drunk) filmographer, but I think that makes the experience feel more authentic.

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

Just saw it this afternoon... it was good. Not great, not bad. Shaky cam does get annoying sometimes, I liked the monster. I don't like how some things played out, I always want everyone to survive but that is never the case in monster movies. My least favorite part was the end, leaves too many questions unaswered.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)