By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does sony have a franchise that will sell the PS4 out of the gate

JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
People who buy Sony platforms expect a lot of exclusives and new IP's from Sony, much in the same vein as Nintendo and their vast lists of characters and the same with Microsoft For Halo and shooter fanatics.

The moral of the story is they all have different uses and different types of fans.

The problem with Sony is that they try to encompass everything. Microsoft is content where they are.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
People who buy Sony platforms expect a lot of exclusives and new IP's from Sony, much in the same vein as Nintendo and their vast lists of characters and the same with Microsoft For Halo and shooter fanatics.

The moral of the story is they all have different uses and different types of fans.

The problem with Sony is that they try to encompass everything. Microsoft is content where they are.

Disagree. Sony's problem is most games they make target small audiences.  The ones that has the potential of going mainstream like Uncharted, Killzone, and Last of Us all have horrible advertising.  

JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Disagree. Sony's problem is most games they make target small audiences.  The ones that has the potential of going mainstream like Uncharted, Killzone, and Last of Us all have horrible advertising.  

Thats not arguing my point. Sony is always looking for that next great game, but they deal with too many experimental games instead of thinking in a funnel. This is why some of their new IP's are considered niche. Killzone will never be mainstream. The Sony core are always behind that game, but Sony will have to find another shooter to gain mass appeal with. Sonys only issue is finding a shooter. Microsoft has two shooters that sell beyond 5 million copies in Gears and Halo and one eventually will end as Epic needs to make their own games.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Thats not arguing my point. Sony is always looking for that next great game, but they deal with too many experimental games instead of thinking in a funnel. This is why some of their new IP's are considered niche. Killzone will never be mainstream. The Sony core are always behind that game, but Sony will have to find another shooter to gain mass appeal with. Sonys only issue is finding a shooter. Microsoft has two shooters that sell beyond 5 million copies in Gears and Halo and one eventually will end as Epic needs to make their own games.

Sony does have two respectable shooters so I give them credit for that.  Killzone and Resistance.  If they want to capture the American Market though they need to do a better job in that category so you're right.  

JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sony does have two respectable shooters so I give them credit for that.  Killzone and Resistance.  If they want to capture the American Market though they need to do a better job in that category so you're right.  

True. As far as TPS games are concerned Uncharted sells very well and will continue to sell well for years to come as the franchise has no end in sight. The game doesn't go on a timeline like Gears or God of War either, so we'll be seeing that franchise for years.  This is the perfect time for Sony Santamonica to make a new IP or pick up Heavenly Sword.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

True. As far as TPS games are concerned Uncharted sells very well and will continue to sell well for years to come as the franchise has no end in sight. The game doesn't go on a timeline like Gears or God of War either, so we'll be seeing that franchise for years.  This is the perfect time for Sony Santamonica to make a new IP or pick up Heavenly Sword.

I say stay away from Heavenly Sword.  They can make a better original IP in my opinion.  I hope they dont stop making Uncharted and Im sure the series will continue, but will naughty dog keep developing it?  Naughty Dog has a tendancy to stop after 3 games.  Speaking of TPs and uncharted.  So far the new tomb raider is looking good 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

If Sony just stuck to the series that really work, the fanbases will inevitably grow to the perportions of what MS and NIN have. Sony never seems to stick with a series long enough for them to become a staple, and this is mostly due to the fact many of these games for them were 3rd Party. Crash Bandicoot was one of Sony's strongest selling IPs with them doing like 8million I think. Unfortunately Sony was stuck between a rock and a hard place. They could choose ND and lose Crash, or keep Crash but have the fear of it going MP loom over them. They obviously chose ND, with the firm belief they could recreate that gold. That Gold is Uncharted for sure.

Sony has now learned they need to create a rock solid 1st Party line up, so whenever they need a game to fill a void they can do it themselves (Nintendo's approach). If not for Nintendo's famed stapled series, the Gamecube would have been a lost cause, and probably ended in bankruptcy. 

Yet they still do not want to become complacent, Sony prides themselves on being an artsy individual. This is why they pour so much in games that would have never gotten the green light by another publisher. Demon's Souls( a game even they were skeptical about) stands to be one of the most influential of this gen. Heavy Rain, Journey, Flower, Unfinished Swan, LBP, MAG etc. Uncharted is THE most celebrated and awarded series this generation, with LBP being a close second. This gives Sony massive bragging rights, even if they are not ahead in sales.

@Killzone Argument

I like the series, about equal with Resistance. The Mythos surrounding it is quite fascinating.....yet I feel like with each game they miss the mark even more. KZ1's story=GREAT, Gameplay=Broken. KZ2's story=Good at times but Horrid dialogue, Gameplay = GREAT. KZ3's Story = ok but good dialogue, gameplay = good but not as good as KZ2.

I think its time for them to start fresh. They have some incredible programmers and graphic artist, but they struggle with getting the whole package at the same level. Let them Borrow Amy Hennig, have her write them a deep story about cyber/space warfare and all it's intricacies. Have GG craft the best damn gameplay and graphics money can buy.....as long as Spawn Grenades return(best FPS invention.....ever).

I strongly believe they are working on a non KZ shooter now for PS4, as according to their job listings lately.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

If Sony just stuck to the series that really work, the fanbases will inevitably grow to the perportions of what MS and NIN have. Sony never seems to stick with a series long enough for them to become a staple, and this is mostly due to the fact many of these games for them were 3rd Party. Crash Bandicoot was one of Sony's strongest selling IPs with them doing like 8million I think. Unfortunately Sony was stuck between a rock and a hard place. They could choose ND and lose Crash, or keep Crash but have the fear of it going MP loom over them. They obviously chose ND, with the firm belief they could recreate that gold. That Gold is Uncharted for sure.

Sony has now learned they need to create a rock solid 1st Party line up, so whenever they need a game to fill a void they can do it themselves (Nintendo's approach). If not for Nintendo's famed stapled series, the Gamecube would have been a lost cause, and probably ended in bankruptcy. 

Yet they still do not want to become complacent, Sony prides themselves on being an artsy individual. This is why they pour so much in games that would have never gotten the green light by another publisher. Demon's Souls( a game even they were skeptical about) stands to be one of the most influential of this gen. Heavy Rain, Journey, Flower, Unfinished Swan, LBP, MAG etc. Uncharted is THE most celebrated and awarded series this generation, with LBP being a close second. This gives Sony massive bragging rights, even if they are not ahead in sales.

@Killzone Argument

I like the series, about equal with Resistance. The Mythos surrounding it is quite fascinating.....yet I feel like with each game they miss the mark even more. KZ1's story=GREAT, Gameplay=Broken. KZ2's story=Good at times but Horrid dialogue, Gameplay = GREAT. KZ3's Story = ok but good dialogue, gameplay = good but not as good as KZ2.

I think its time for them to start fresh. They have some incredible programmers and graphic artist, but they struggle with getting the whole package at the same level. Let them Borrow Amy Hennig, have her write them a deep story about cyber/space warfare and all it's intricacies. Have GG craft the best damn gameplay and graphics money can buy.....as long as Spawn Grenades return(best FPS invention.....ever).

I strongly believe they are working on a non KZ shooter now for PS4, as according to their job listings lately.

Now I dont know the whole history with Crash and Naughy Dog and how thye became 1st party so I cant comment.  I do remember crash when i was little though and it was easily PS1's mascot.  If they would have kept it it could of had the potential of selling anywhere from 5-15m copies per game.  Of course it depends if it was made correctly.  But they could have pulled off a mario and put him in different games.  3D crash, side scrolling crash, Crash Karting which they had,  crash party, etc. 

I agree with you about them priding them selves for artistic games but Demon's Souls was published by Atlus outside of japan.  That was sony's failure.  And I definitely dont like MAG.  It is the only game I've returned this generation.  The only reason it even sold well was because the hype it had recieved and it being made by the people who made socom.

KZ2 was great.  KZ3 was eh.  What both of them lacks are a variety of guns.  They all look and feel similar.  The heavy turning on kz2 was also an issue with a lot of people.  None the less I loved KZ2 and it showed potential for the series.  KZ3 just took a step back unfortunately.  

And from what i know they will be making something besides KZ4.  Good company so it should be interesting.

JayWood2010 said:

Now I dont know the whole history with Crash and Naughy Dog and how thye became 1st party so I cant comment.  I do remember crash when i was little though and it was easily PS1's mascot.  If they would have kept it it could of had the potential of selling anywhere from 5-15m copies per game.  Of course it depends if it was made correctly.  But they could have pulled off a mario and put him in different games.  3D crash, side scrolling crash, Crash Karting which they had,  crash party, etc. 

I agree with you about them priding them selves for artistic games but Demon's Souls was published by Atlus outside of japan.  That was sony's failure.  And I definitely dont like MAG.  It is the only game I've returned this generation.  The only reason it even sold well was because the hype it had recieved and it being made by the people who made socom.

KZ2 was great.  KZ3 was eh.  What both of them lacks are a variety of guns.  They all look and feel similar.  The heavy turning on kz2 was also an issue with a lot of people.  None the less I loved KZ2 and it showed potential for the series.  KZ3 just took a step back unfortunately.  

And from what i know they will be making something besides KZ4.  Good company so it should be interesting.

Crash Bandicoot was a joint venture between Universal Studios(Sony) and Vevendi(Activision). Naughty Dog, the up and coming developer(based in the same building as their old college buddies, Insomniac Games) was placed to develope it, not sure if it. I think it was their idea from jump. Anyway, Sony saw massive promise with them as developers, and seeing as they were still new to the Gaming Market, they knew they needed to form a decent catalog of devs to combat NINTENDO's insane 1st Party Line-Ups. Sometime around the coming of the PS2 Sony opted to acquire Naughty Dog. Activision was not ready to let Crash(a surefire seller) go along with them though. In order for them to be allowed to purchase ND, Sony had to let Activision keep publishing rights to Crash......and the series has never been good since.

Meanwhile, ND set out on their next game. Jak and Daxter came and saw much success. The series spanned 3 main entries on the PS2, but by the 3rd game you could tell they were growing board. When PS3 came along they pitched Uncharted to Sony, stating they wanted to incorperate what they did with Crash, in a more realistic setting. And that is how Uncharted came to be.

I love KZ2's multiplayer. By far it is the only FPS's multiplayer I ever really got into. Ironically enough I was apart of the VGChartz Clan online. The weighted movement was an annoyance, I do know they were going for realism. Yet there is a line between actually creating a realistic experience vs making it accessible and fun. Even if it was life like, many can't cope. They should have taken away the heavy feeling and kept all the gameplay aspects for KZ3. I was so pissed to find that they nolonger had Spawn Grenades for the Tactician(my fav class). I felt robbed. I barely played KZ3 multiplayer at all, just to get the trophies. I also hated the pacing of the campaign which was blatently hijacked as a showcase for Sony's 3D. I think that game suffered a bit for having to be Sony's showcase game yet again.

Resistance's story is far more captivating to me honestly, I also prefer their guns (Bullseye, enough said). Resistance 2's story made it for me. I would actually listen to all the radio broadcasts with Henry Stillman. It was heartbreaking to hear his story about how his wife and son died with him watching them get mauled by the Chimera. He then at the end says he was going to "Go for a walk" basically telling anyone who was listening he was going to commit suicide. I thought that was a great little side plot. I named my R2 clan after him :). R2 had the best coop multiplayer mode too. It was like playing a FPS RPG. 3 Job classes having to work together to take down enemies and gain experience. I cannot shake the feeling the MAIN reason they took that feature out in R3 is because it is the basis of their new game, FUSE. When I heard that not only would R3 not have my fav game mode, but also put Capelli(my most despised character from R2) as the main character I was heart broken and didn't buy it. I planned on still buying it in the future but really skeptical now knowing it didn't do so well at market, meaning if I want to play MP it would be barren.

I prefer Uncharted's Multiplayer over both KZ and Resistance's anyday tho.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Crash Bandicoot was a joint venture between Universal Studios(Sony) and Vevendi(Activision). Naughty Dog, the up and coming developer(based in the same building as their old college buddies, Insomniac Games) was placed to develope it, not sure if it. I think it was their idea from jump. Anyway, Sony saw massive promise with them as developers, and seeing as they were still new to the Gaming Market, they knew they needed to form a decent catalog of devs to combat NINTENDO's insane 1st Party Line-Ups. Sometime around the coming of the PS2 Sony opted to acquire Naughty Dog. Activision was not ready to let Crash(a surefire seller) go along with them though. In order for them to be allowed to purchase ND, Sony had to let Activision keep publishing rights to Crash......and the series has never been good since.

Meanwhile, ND set out on their next game. Jak and Daxter came and saw much success. The series spanned 3 main entries on the PS2, but by the 3rd game you could tell they were growing board. When PS3 came along they pitched Uncharted to Sony, stating they wanted to incorperate what they did with Crash, in a more realistic setting. And that is how Uncharted came to be.

I love KZ2's multiplayer. By far it is the only FPS's multiplayer I ever really got into. Ironically enough I was apart of the VGChartz Clan online. The weighted movement was an annoyance, I do know they were going for realism. Yet there is a line between actually creating a realistic experience vs making it accessible and fun. Even if it was life like, many can't cope. They should have taken away the heavy feeling and kept all the gameplay aspects for KZ3. I was so pissed to find that they nolonger had Spawn Grenades for the Tactician(my fav class). I felt robbed. I barely played KZ3 multiplayer at all, just to get the trophies. I also hated the pacing of the campaign which was blatently hijacked as a showcase for Sony's 3D. I think that game suffered a bit for having to be Sony's showcase game yet again.

Resistance's story is far more captivating to me honestly, I also prefer their guns (Bullseye, enough said). Resistance 2's story made it for me. I would actually listen to all the radio broadcasts with Henry Stillman. It was heartbreaking to hear his story about how his wife and son died with him watching them get mauled by the Chimera. He then at the end says he was going to "Go for a walk" basically telling anyone who was listening he was going to commit suicide. I thought that was a great little side plot. I named my R2 clan after him :). R2 had the best coop multiplayer mode too. It was like playing a FPS RPG. 3 Job classes having to work together to take down enemies and gain experience. I cannot shake the feeling the MAIN reason they took that feature out in R3 is because it is the basis of their new game, FUSE. When I heard that not only would R3 not have my fav game mode, but also put Capelli(my most despised character from R2) as the main character I was heart broken and didn't buy it. I planned on still buying it in the future but really skeptical now knowing it didn't do so well at market, meaning if I want to play MP it would be barren.

I prefer Uncharted's Multiplayer over both KZ and Resistance's anyday tho.

Good read