By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3DS will over take the PS3 in total Japan sales by the end of the month!

I really do not see this momentum slowing down in Japan anytime soon. Funny enough all of these "end of gaming due to I devices" articles I have been reading seem to completely disregard the Japanese market, or simply discount it as "too small to matter" .

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

Around the Network
sperrico87 said:
3DS is on fire over there. Iwata wasn't kidding last year when he said they would take every possible measure to ensure 3DS was a worthy successor to the first DS.

I think 2013 will surpass 2012 in sales, too. If you look at the release slate in Japan, they've got Monster Hunter 4, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Dragon Quest VII, Luigi's Mansion... all exclusives. Big, big year for 3DS.

Okay, I think 2013 will be the biggest year of the 3DS so far. In addition to great games that will be launched in Japan, they have system sellers (and important games) in the West since the beginning of the year. Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Monster Hunter and Castlevania, all in the first 3 or 4 months. Imagine what will come in the second half: a new Zelda? New Kirby? Donkey Kong? Other franchises? More Mario? Pokémon? Anyway, there are several games that can launch to turn 2013 into a year even more powerful for the 3DS.

We need moar Zelda, now!

We need moar Unchartedzz!

We need less DLCs.

Isn't 8m lifetime sales for PS3 too little?

Anyway, the console is a beast in Japan considering it's only 2yrs over there

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

Meh, PSP, or even the very DS are better measures. (It won't reach DS level btw)

I agree with pezus, in that the 3DS will not get past the PS3 sales in Japan, at the end of this month. But I think that it might outsell the PS3 during the first two weeks of December.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

Around the Network

Not before the end of the year.

Wow I'm honestly surprised that a "doomed" handheld (due to the rise of mobile) overtook the PS3 which has been out for years and years. That's crazy.

I guess the handheld business is still strong in Japan.

spurgeonryan said:
Turkish said:
Not before the end of the year.

Well golden week is before the end of the year, so I think it will. At least by then.

what? golden week is at the end of April.

you expect it to sell more than 600k in two weeks?

what games are coming to boost it that much?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

spurgeonryan said:
benao87 said:
Meh, PSP, or even the very DS are better measures. (It won't reach DS level btw)

It already has. You are saying it will not stay on pace and eventually fall behind?

Yes. The DS didn't start out of the gate super strong.  It kicked it into a second gear with the DSLite, NSMB, Mario Kart, etc.  From the launch to the DS's first full year on the market (including 2 holiday seasons) the DS sold 14.5 million.  The next full year saw sales of 21 million.  The year after that?  29 million.  The next year?  32 million.

The question is whether or not the 3DS could kick into that second gear.  Right now, I don't see any compelling hardware or software reasons for that to happen.  The 3DSXL didn't provide the same kind of boost as the DSLite and I don't see any software that is going to spark a Brain Age like boost to the 3DS market.  It's hard to see the 3DS having the success the DS did unless Nintendo is holding out on us.