By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Sony go with Super Smash Bros. too instead of Super Mario Bros. too?

Tagged games:

LBP who's primary goal was to clone Mario in it's level editors.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
fighter said:
RolStoppable said:
pezus said:
RolStoppable said:
I was told to come in this thread, because a lot of people are supposedly hallucinating.

So the first point of contention I want to tackle is this: Does LBP have a cooler standard enemy than a Goomba?

There is no standard enemy. But if your imagination is cool enough, you can create a cooler enemy than a Goomba.

And with this the debate is over. A platformer that doesn't even have standard enemies shouldn't be compared to the golden standard in the genre.

so that is why LBP is better than Mario : imagination

But for everyone lacking imagination Mario is better...? ;)

Tell me about it, i feel so realistic right now...

So if SMB is better, does that make LBP better than LBP?

fighter said:
RolStoppable said:
pezus said:
RolStoppable said:
I was told to come in this thread, because a lot of people are supposedly hallucinating.

So the first point of contention I want to tackle is this: Does LBP have a cooler standard enemy than a Goomba?

There is no standard enemy. But if your imagination is cool enough, you can create a cooler enemy than a Goomba.

And with this the debate is over. A platformer that doesn't even have standard enemies shouldn't be compared to the golden standard in the genre.

so that is why LBP is better than Mario : imagination

...and I would say that Mario is better because the programmers have an imagination enough to create a world where you eat mushrooms that make you larger and smaller, where you warp through pipes, can punch bricks in order to make coins appear, jump on an enemy once to put it in it's shell and once more in order to kick it at another enemy as a weapon, and so on and so forth.  It's the developers that are supposed to have the imagination and not the gamers in my opinion.  I want to sit down and play a game in a fully realised world like the Mushroom Kingdom with  an awesome level design because I am a gamer and not a game programmer and I would be lying to myself if I said that I could create a better game than Miyamoto and company.  That's how I feel about it. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

pezus said:
fighter said:
pezus said:

Did I say I was offended? People can call me a fanboy without me getting offended, but it's against the rules so I'd expect the banhammer to swing.

you seem pretty offended by them, and oddly so considering how many similar inoffensive memes populate the web

otherwise i really cannot understand why you would be so picky on these and, despite your long record of postng on this website, not by facepalms

You seem to be missing the point. It's not a question of me being offended or not, it's about holding up the same standards each time. 

do you (hold the same standards each time) ?

have you also requested teh hammer of bannitude on facepalms and other illustrations of belittlement and offensiveness ?

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:

man, that looks awful!!! It's cool that you can make those kind of things in LBP and it looks great, but man... that was a baaaaad rip off :P

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Pfft @ LBP being better than Mario. Mario has momentum, LBP is floaty as shit. Not a fan of NSMB, but those aren't the only Mario games.

OT: they have tried multiple times but failed ever so often with making a Platformer that could compete with SMB. Therefore, they now go after the third fiddle (of the Mario game franchises).

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

JoeTheBro said:

I bet there are better flash clones than that.

This has been said many times already but... They already have. (LBP)