By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Ballmer: Surface RT sales

I wonder if Microsoft is going to go with non-stupid ads for the Pro model? It's obvious that right now they're just going after the kids and hipsters who are drawn to Apple, as the commercial they've splattered everywhere displays pretty much nothing about the product except that it "clicks" a lot and that very attractive and stylishly dressed people use it as a prop in dance performances.

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
they need to remind people that the PRO version that is coming features a full Windows 8, featuring full compatibility with the programs you already use in your PC, and that you can play games through Steam on it :).

same here! I cant wait to get a windows 8 tablet for playing games. Hopefully to replace my desk top too. I think sometime next year one I like will come out.

Good. I hope that mean its sales are poor and underperforming. Should also diminish sales of the proper Windows 8 tablets since there will be no buzz.

They're pushing PC in a direction many don't want to follow.

Just as expected.

Almost all reviews were mixed, pointing out several flaws . Later, news turned up about the touch covers having very bad quality (despite being extremely expensive - 120$ for a product that costs 16$ to manufacture).

People are doing what almost all reviews advised: Skipping Surface RT and waiting for the only slightly more expensive, real Windows 8 tablets instead.

As I said before, I expect the real Windows 8 tablets to be very successful, simply because they introduce a fascinating new form factor. Or to say it with a grain of irony:
I expect Windows 8 tablets to be successful exactly because they are NOT tablets. They're notebook/tablet hybrids.

ArnoldRimmer said:
Just as expected.

Almost all reviews were mixed, pointing out several flaws . Later, news turned up about the touch covers having very bad quality (despite being extremely expensive - 120$ for a product that costs 16$ to manufacture).

People are doing what almost all reviews advised: Skipping Surface RT and waiting for the only slightly more expensive, real Windows 8 tablets instead.

As I said before, I expect the real Windows 8 tablets to be very successful, simply because they introduce a fascinating new form factor. Or to say it with a grain of irony:
I expect Windows 8 tablets to be successful exactly because they are NOT tablets. They're notebook/tablet hybrids.

well, the "Atom" based real w8 tablets probably are in a similar price range as the surface RT, but I expect i3/5 tablets to be quite a bit more expensive

Around the Network
pezus said:
Heavenly_King said:
man-bear-pig said:
Windows 8 tablets will annihilate Android, there's no doubt about that. Apple will stay as it is.

I think the the Windows 8 Pro has the chances of annihilate Android and Apple tablets, because it offers full compatibility with your PC (Windows PC), and can play full fledged games via steam, instead of crappy things (for me) like angry birds, etc.

That's news to me. 

as far as i know the windows 8 that will be on pc and tablets is the same. this tablet had windows 8 rt which is different. so when the real windows tablets start coming they will be just like pc's except mobile.

hunter_alien said:
pezus said:
Argh_College said:
Surface might not beat Ipad no one thought it will but Windows 8 Tablets will reign supreme in the market...

i give it 1.5 year to Windows Tablets outsell all the ipads combined LT.

That's just madness and you know it. People are setting themselves up for embarassment in the future with claims like that.

Dont worry, he has the tendency to overestimate things

But we still love him

Love you too mate :3

pezus said:
thranx said:

as far as i know the windows 8 that will be on pc and tablets is the same. this tablet had windows 8 rt which is different. so when the real windows tablets start coming they will be just like pc's except mobile.

But are they powerful enough to run "proper PC games"? 

the Surface Pro afaik uses the intel HD 4000 gpu core that's integrated in the i5 and that thing is .. not good - especially at native res (1920x1080) recent full blown PC 3D games probably only work (at acceptable fps) at lowest settings

I might just wait for the pro version to come out, which allows you to do so much than the RT version before i judge it

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

There seems to have been a bit of out of context quoting here. Ballmer did not say the sales were modest, He said their approach to tablets was modest. There is a world of difference.