By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Kresnik said:

Clue for my #04 - My biggest surprise of the current generation which came in such a little package.

LittleBigPlanet of course.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

And now, into the top five.

5) BioShock

One of the most beautiful, enjoyable and thought-provoking games I have ever played. From the very start it grips you and does not let go. You hear Andrew Ryan's inspirational speech and then see the city he created, and what that city became. You meet several extraordinary characters in various stages of insanity and see the collapse of a civilization. The weapons are varied and great fun to use, and the plasmids are even better. The Big Daddies are among the most iconic enemies in any game of this generation and you can see yourself grow as they turn from an object of terror into just a minor inconvenience in your journey. The plot twist is one of the best I have ever seen, and requires no suspension of disbelief at all. The environments are fantastic and the city feels like it was once alive and is now abandoned.

BioShock is a masterpiece in every sense of the word, and although its sequel was a bit of a letdown, hopefully Infinite can be even half as groundbreaking as the game that started the franchise.

Clue for #4: Don't upset Eddard Stark's youngest daughter.

Kantor said:
Clue for #4: Don't upset Eddard Stark's youngest daughter.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow?

Signature goes here!

Sorry I missed a few days.

7. Super Mario 64
6. Half-Life 2

and the clue for #5:

This one is for Kresnik, and it (maybe) makes up for placing another, more famous game in the series in the 20s.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

This one is for Kresnik, and it (maybe) makes up for placing another, more famous game in the series in the 20s.

Good heavens, that's quite a wide clue :o

I'm gonna guess... VI?  I have no idea really haha, could be any of them!

Here's Bender's guess:

P.S. 7000 gamerpoints, what a nice round number, congrats!

Kresnik said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Good heavens, that's quite a wide clue :o

I'm gonna guess... VI?  I have no idea really haha, could be any of them!

Here's Bender's guess:

[video]

P.S. 7000 gamerpoints, what a nice round number, congrats!

LOL at the video.

It is Final Fantasy.......VI! You're right!

Final Fantasy III

Many point to Final Fantasy VII as the ultimate Final Fantasy experience, but to me its older brother is a more complete game, and a better one. Epic in size and in scope, Final Fantasy III (Final Fantasy VI in Japan) features over a dozen playable characters, all of whom carry significant emotional baggage and who endure trials that range from rafting across raging rapids to, quite literally, the end of the world. There are several unique events in the game, including an opera, a dinner party, and a number of multi-party battles, which allow the player to divide his or her party into two or more battle groups in order to fight off a multi-party enemy. Final Fantasy III is the finest SNES game ever released, which is lofty praise considering its library of games.

8. Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)

GTA was pretty infamous in its early top-down incarnations, but it didn't really have truly massive success until GTA III came around, with the shift in perspective and a full 3D city to explore. That change made a good franchise into a great one, and it cemented itself firmly as one of my all time favourites. Like any good GTA, it's just as fun cruising around the city causing as much chaos as possible, as it is playing through all of the missions.

VGChartz

7. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Mario in Space sounds like some cheesy B movie you'd find on late night TV, but it turned out to be something simply spectacular. After the let-down that was Super Mario Sunshine, Nintendo returned to greatness in the 3D Mario arena. The level design was incredible, and the gravitational physics were used extremely well (it's always fun trying to jump all the way around a planetoid and making it). Finding every last star and completing the game properly was never a chore, as some games can be when you aim for 100% completion, but that's not really that unusual in a Nintendo game, which is a testament to their brilliance, and Mario Galaxy was another shining example of that.

VGChartz