By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Kresnik said:
S.Peelman said:

#10 - ?
The first game in this franchise of three games (plus expansions) is a cult classic and had sold unexpectedly well. The second game, with it's two expansion packs, is the one I'm searching for, it was better than the first as it ironed out most flaws but couldn't match the first game's sales. When the franchise moved to another publisher though, things started going downhill fast and the game was but a shell of it's former self. Recently, a spin-off was released on an 8th gen handheld under very low metascores.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.

Damn, i was pretty far off <_>

I'll stop now.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
S.Peelman said:

#10 - ?
The first game in this franchise of three games (plus expansions) is a cult classic and had sold unexpectedly well. The second game, with it's two expansion packs, is the one I'm searching for, it was better than the first as it ironed out most flaws but couldn't match the first game's sales. When the franchise moved to another publisher though, things started going downhill fast and the game was but a shell of it's former self. Recently, a spin-off was released on an 8th gen handheld under very low metascores.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.

Indeed !

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 is correct. 'Ragnarok something or other' sadly wasn't .

I was unsure what kind of hint I could give for this game, as naming anything by name immediately gives it away and the game doesn't have memorable quotes or something. So I thought why not give a short history instead. Turned out to be an easy guess this way apparently!

S.Peelman said:

I was unsure what kind of hint I could give for this game, as naming anything by name immediately gives it away and the game doesn't have memorable quotes or something. So I thought why not give a short history instead. Turned out to be an easy guess this way apparently!

It was a good clue actually, gave me a bit of a think.  I didn't know about the publisher shift and the drop in quality.

But then I thought "He seems to like RTS and simulation games like me" and then I remembered that there had recently been a Rollercoaster Tycoon for 3DS and it dinged :)

As guessed by Player2:

11. Mass Effect 3 (PC, also on 360, WiiU & PS3)

The end of an epic trilogy by Bioware. Mass Effect 3 tried to take all the elements from the previous two games and bring them together into a single, epic package. For the most part, they suceeded. The gameplay was further refined from ME2, the RPG elements were back but without the arduous item lists from ME1 and the story (for the most part) is rounded off nicely with the majority of story arcs completed over the course of the game. During the game, you effectively seal alliances between previous political enemies, explore the nature of life through AI/Geth characters and solidify or destroy all the relationships made in the previous games. Everything seems to work very well.

It's unfortunate that the final ending was such an anti-climax. Having said that, I don't think the ending was anywhere near as bad as the controversy it caused suggests. The original endings were sparse but left you with enough material to figure a few things out. I think some credit should be given to Bioware for listening to criticism and releasing a new ending that took more of the players decisions into account and expanded on the sparse details in the orginals. I doubt many other developers would have done this.

This was also the first game in the series to introduce a multiplayer element which works surprisingly well. Not the most varied multiplayer mode, but still a lot of fun. The mix of different abilities, racial traits and weaponry make for an incredibly enjoyable experience. Biotic Charges followed by Krogan headbutts and blasts from a shotgun... so much fun! The only down side is that they obviously re-used multiplayer maps for what are probably the worst side quests in the series. The side quests in general actually, whilst vast in number, aren't up to the same quality as in ME2.

Overall though, the game is a good way to round off what has been an incredibly ambitious series.

Kresnik said:
S.Peelman said:

It was a good clue actually, gave me a bit of a think.  I didn't know about the publisher shift and the drop in quality.

But then I thought "He seems to like RTS and simulation games like me" and then I remembered that there had recently been a Rollercoaster Tycoon for 3DS and it dinged :)

Wasn't there a Ragnarok game for Vita? That's why i thought of it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Scoobes said:

Extra Hints:

11: This game is the second highest new entry to my list and was the first game to introduce multiplayer to its series.

Extra hint: It has a controversial ending... (this should give it away).

10: An ambitious RPG that was 5+ years in the making but has a controversial sequel that did away with a lot of what made the original so enjoyable.

Extra Hint: This games was the origin of a new franchise.

9: This game has been re-released multiple times and spawned numerous spinoffs.

Extra Hint: Not all the spinoffs are video games.

8: This game introduced a new and popular Nintendo character.

Extra Hint: The main characters are on holiday when the Princess gets kidnapped, and they meet this character for the first time.

7: "Make me feel alive again!"

Extra Hint: Main character's name is David.

6: I did not steal your sweetroll! Why do you have a limp?

Extra Hint: The guy(s) with the limp started a whole new internet meme.

5: This game featured Yvonne Strahovski on the box art.

Extra Hint: This game was criticised for removing RPG elements that were present in the original game.

3: "I never asked for this"... but I can punch through walls now!

Extra Hint: There are 3 games in the series. This is the most recent game and is a prequel.

1: Look at my previous posts. In my first ever VGChartz post I sing its praises. It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out!

Extra Hint: The guy that made Epic Mickey lead the team that made this game.

9. Pokemon Red/Blue/Green

8. Super Mario World

6. Skyrim?

3. Wild guess is: Deus Ex Human Revolution

1. Deus Ex

9: Nope!

1, 3, 6 & 8 are all right!

Mr Khan said:

There was indeed.  I'd say the metascore for it was more mixed than it was "very low", though.

Mr Khan's on a role:

11: This game is the second highest new entry to my list and was the first game to introduce multiplayer to its series.

Extra hint: It has a controversial ending... (this should give it away).

Mass Effect 3- Player2

10: An ambitious RPG that was 5+ years in the making but has a controversial sequel that did away with a lot of what made the original so enjoyable.

Extra Hint: This games was the origin of a new franchise.

9: This game has been re-released multiple times and spawned numerous spinoffs.

Extra Hint: Not all the spinoffs are video games.

8: This game introduced a new and popular Nintendo character.

Extra Hint: The main characters are on holiday when the Princess gets kidnapped, and they meet this character for the first time.

Super Mario World- Mr Khan

7: "Make me feel alive again!"

Extra Hint: Main character's name is David.

6: I did not steal your sweetroll! Why do you have a limp?

Extra Hint: The guy(s) with the limp started a whole new internet meme.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim- Mr Khan

5: This game featured Yvonne Strahovski on the box art.

Extra Hint: This game was criticised for removing RPG elements that were present in the original game.

3: "I never asked for this"... but I can punch through walls now!

Extra Hint: There are 3 games in the series. This is the most recent game and is a prequel.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution- Mr Khan

1: Look at my previous posts. In my first ever VGChartz post I sing its praises. It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out!

Extra Hint: The guy that made Epic Mickey lead the team that made this game.

Deus Ex- Mr Khan

Kresnik said:
Mr Khan said:

There was indeed.  I'd say the metascore for it was more mixed than it was "very low", though.

I didn't actually look for Rollercoaster 3D metascore today, but I looked just before it got released. Just in case this would actually be good, didn't have any hopes though, as expected, at the time the score was somewhere in the low 30s. It's actually rare that I look for these things, because usually I can make up my own mind. Sometimes though, it's not clear. Likely, SimCity 5 next year will be another game for which I will look for some reviews.

*checking Metacritic*

Yeah, it's 38 now. The clue was still relevant.

But yes, it's not an obvious fact so it's understandable of missed, but Rollercoaster 3 was published by Atari, instead of Infogrames. That change changed the developer too, for the worse. While there were some good things in RCT3, gameplay was very bad and slow compared to 2 and you could only build like 10% of the rides and scenery of the previous two games (I mean, no tunnels?). To me, RCT2 was the compete package and with it's two expansion packs, you can basically build everything you want.

You're also right about the RTS/Simulation games! The two genres are quite well represented in my list. They are really the only reason I still have a (Windows) PC. The other day I thought of one I forgot; Dungeon Keeper should've been in the list somewhere in the 40s. Ah well, next year I suppose!

11) Counterstrike - Fire in the hole baby. I am not most technical or best counterstrike player but i had loads of fun playing this game on lan parties with friends. The core gameplay is still relevant and community made maps and mods within the game are sure a joy to check out. I don't play it as much as i use back in days but it sure holds a fun and special place on my top 50 games of all time list. 

Hint for #10 - A fun racing game that came out over 10 years ago. If you are in the first place you better watch your back.