By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Player2 said:
Mr Khan said:

My 14 started on a console, grew famous on handhelds, and with this game, jumped ship to another manufacturer, who helped promote the game in the West.

Monster Hunter 3.

Right in one.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Smeags said:
Smeags said:

Hint for #14:

O_O

u_u

>_<

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Hint #2:

Both antagonists recieve splitting headaches.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic?

3..2..1.. Is Calo Nord when he doesn't want to talk to you, after that BOOM!!

#15 - Pokémon - Blue Version is epic game. It started, together with it's Red companion, a world-wide phenomenon. Everybody got onboard. Everybody in my generation at least. Personally though I was at the late end of the spectrum, only the first generation of Pokémon has interested me, as I 'grew out of it' only a couple years in. Nothing real needs to be said about this unreal game, and what it accomplished in the handheld sphere. It's addicting, addicting like chocolate. So addicting, that I could not stop playing this, ever. I was even playing this while answering the door for a couple of friends! Playing outside? Pokémon, that's where it's at! Nothing could stop me from playing this game, not even when the cartridge and my GameBoy nearly got destroyed...

During those years, my dog was still a young pup. It's still alive today, miraculously enough, but as most may know young dogs tend to destroy things they get their teeth on. My GameBoy was one of the sacrifices. The screen shattered, the body crippled, the sound cracked. Being indestructible as Nintendo hardware is though, the thing still worked fine of course. However, the screen was severely damaged. It would only actually display pixels when it felt like it and half the time when it did, there were dead pixels.
The cartridge inside during the attack was, what else, Pokémon Blue. One of my dog's teeth apparently drilled through the blue shell, leaving a gaping hole. I was devastated. Extra devastated, because another game was completely destroyed in the process, held in the GameBoy's pouches' extra pocket. That game is still to come on this list, so I'll mention it when we get there. Anyway, the hole in my Pokémon cartridge was almost through and through, damage was visible on it's chips. As if a miracle though, the game still worked. I got a family-friend to repair my GameBoy's screen (this man worked at Nintendo Benelux (part of NoE, serves Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg) at the time) so I could resume my endless playtimes of Pokémon Blue without the fear of the screen fading away.

To end this anecdote, this Pokémon cartridge, with it's giant hole in the upper-right corner, is still in my possession. Tucked away in it's protective box as if it were still in supreme condition and needs to be secured against harm. This cartridge, I gather it's battery probably passed away recently, is now a symbol to my undying will to complete a game, as Pokémon Blue was the first game ever, for which I've had this unstoppable drive.

#14 - ?
"Caymen here. No problems."

S.Peelman said:

#15 - Pokémon - Blue Version is epic game. It started, together with it's Red companion, a world-wide phenomenon. Everybody got onboard. Everybody in my generation at least. Personally though I was at the late end of the spectrum, only the first generation of Pokémon has interested me, as I 'grew out of it' only a couple years in. Nothing real needs to be said about this unreal game, and what it accomplished in the handheld sphere. It's addicting, addicting like chocolate. So addicting, that I could not stop playing this, ever. I was even playing this while answering the door for a couple of friends! Playing outside? Pokémon, that's where it's at! Nothing could stop me from playing this game, not even when the cartridge and my GameBoy nearly got destroyed...

During those years, my dog was still a young pup. It's still alive today, miraculously enough, but as most may know young dogs tend to destroy things they get their teeth on. My GameBoy was one of the sacrifices. The screen shattered, the body crippled, the sound cracked. Being indestructible as Nintendo hardware is though, the thing still worked fine of course. However, the screen was severely damaged. It would only actually display pixels when it felt like it and half the time when it did, there were dead pixels.
The cartridge inside during the attack was, what else, Pokémon Blue. One of my dog's teeth apparently drilled through the blue shell, leaving a gaping hole. I was devastated. Extra devastated, because another game was completely destroyed in the process, held in the GameBoy's pouches' extra pocket. That game is still to come on this list, so I'll mention it when we get there. Anyway, the hole in my Pokémon cartridge was almost through and through, damage was visible on it's chips. As if a miracle though, the game still worked. I got a family-friend to repair my GameBoy's screen (this man worked at Nintendo Benelux (part of NoE, serves Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg) at the time) so I could resume my endless playtimes of Pokémon Blue without the fear of the screen fading away.

To end this anecdote, this Pokémon cartridge, with it's giant hole in the upper-right corner, is still in my possession. Tucked away in it's protective box as if it were still in supreme condition and needs to be secured against harm. This cartridge, I gather it's battery probably passed away recently, is now a symbol to my undying will to complete a game, as Pokémon Blue was the first game ever, for which I've had this unstoppable drive.

#14 - ?

StarFox 64.

"No, hit the brakes! I... Can't... Stop it!!!!!"

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
S.Peelman said:

(personal Pokémon anecdote)

#14 - ?

StarFox 64.

"No, hit the brakes! I... Can't... Stop it!!!!!"

Lol. Correct. I knew you were the most likely person to get this one!

Apparently I misspelled 'Caymen' by the way, it's with an 'i' and an 'a'; 'Caiman'.

Nice quote from the train-boss. Especially the five mushroom clouds that come after when he slams into the building. There's a whole list of quotes on IMDB, but this one's the best of 'em all mostly because the portrait of this Caiman guy fits perfectly. Falco's always awesome too and luckily, this one combines the two:

Caiman: "Caiman here... No problems..."
[Star Fox blasts one of the ships
Caiman: "Do you copy? Emergency Maneuvers!"
Falco: "Too late. Game over, pal!"

Around the Network

15. Half-Life + HL: Source & Black Mesa mod (PC also on PS2)

I think this game really needs to be put into perspective to truly appreciate the revolution it brough to the FPS genre and general single-player storytelling in video games. It came out in a time where FPS' were all arcade shooters like Quake, Doom or Unreal, had little to no narrative, poor AI, unrealistic damage models (didn't matter where you hit someone, the damage was the same) and where everyone was a beefed up generic soldier (actually, not much has changed in that respect). Half-Life broke the mold. You played a geeky scientist, headshots would actually kill, the AI actually flanked you or flushed you out with grenades (rather than running into walls like a lot of other FPS' of the time), the narrative was excellent and was immersively told throughout the game world. 

Quite simply, it was the first game to truly combine all these aspects into one revolutionary package. The narrative was incredible for the time; for the first level you didn't even get a gun as it just built-up tension and set the scene for the rest of the game. The lack of cut-scenes and the fact that everything was seen in first-person also meant that a greater level of immersion could be maintained making you actually feel like you were Gordon Freeman. It also balanced the action with superb level design and puzzle elements requiring you to actually use a modicum of thought as opposed to the pure gibb-fest of previous FPS titles.

Having said all that, if it didn't deliver in terms of action gameplay it wouldn't have been so highly regarded. It delivered! Surface Tension is probably still one of the best single player FPS levels I've had the joy of playing through with some of the best FPS action gameplay and level design seen in a game.

It's also worth remembering that the mods that sprung from this game (namely Counterstrike, but others like Day of Defeat as well) have gone on to become some of the greatest and most popular multiplayer FPS' in the world, many still being played today. Basically, nearly every FPS on the market today has been influenced in one way or another by Half-Life.

Clue for 14: So, it turns out your not all that much of a hero after all.

Kresnik said:
green_sky said:
Hint for #14. This game was introduced at Macworld Expo in 1999 by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

Not sure about this one, but Halo?

Beat me to it.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Scoobes said:
Clue for 14: So, it turns out your not all that much of a hero after all.

KOTOR

axumblade said:
Michael-5 said:
axumblade said:
#14, the most fun game had being a "minion" and features my 2nd most favorite party in a game.

Overlord

Good guess, but this is a lot newer. In fact, it's the newest game on my list.

Overlord 2

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Player2 said:
Michael-5 said:

35. Because of this game, Fire Emblem waslocalized outside of Japan
Correct Answer: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

32. This game also, almost didn't see localization, but when European branches of this publisher gave this game the green lights for localization, the Western branch followed suit.
Correct Answer: XenoBlade Chronicles

48. An under-appreciated SRPG which tells the story of a war from the perspective on honest fighters on both sides of the war.
Incorrect Guesses: Valkyria Chronicles

46. A precursor to CoD, one of the best online shooting franchises. This game was ported to consoles after a fair bit of time on PC.
Incorrect Guesses: Day of Deateat, Medal of Honor

43. Often regarded as one of the best games of all time, the main character is an iconic trademark which almost saw exclusivity on an opposing platform.
Incorrect Guesses: Final Fantasy VII

40. One of the first true 3D games on a Nintendo cartridge, also the last on this system.
Incorrect Guesses: Starfox

39. Of a team of 6, nobody makes it out alive. Prequel to #43.

38. This game almost wasn't localized outside of Japan because Nintendo thought no one would be interested. Good thing NoA changed their mind.
Incorrect Guesses: XenoBlade Chronicles

36. I specifically like the expansion, but this game was the last of the series before it was ruined by becoming a MMO.

34. First platform game in the franchise after an 8 year gap. Made a story where the previous game concluded the series.

33. Most people see me debate why this game is inferior to one higher on my list. Many think I dislike this game.

31. Since this game concluded the trilogy, the next interation, which was made by a new developer saw substantially less hype, and potentially killed the franchise.

30. EA-FU. Because of EA this game wasn't as good as it could have been.

40 - Winter Gold

38 - The Last Story

36 - Warcraft 3

34 - Rayman Origins

31 - Metroid Prime 3

40. Nope, Don't even know what that is.

38. Nope, XSeed Localized The Last Story in North America

36. YES, and Frozen Throne was what I liked specifically

34. Nope, only ever beat Rayman 1 & 2, and they aren't on my list.

31. I still have to beat that game, owned my Wii for 2 years now and only managed to beat XenoBlade and Last Story. Wow, MP3 does fit the description though

S.Peelman said:

@ your hints:

40: Super Mario RPG?

39: gonna say something wierd; Famicom Grand Prix? Or F-Zero?

40. Nope, that's not a true 3D game, it's sprite based.

39. LOL, nope.