By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

19. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Wii (2011) Nintendo (new)

This game was not perfect, but it fulfilled a lot of promises and heralded great positive change for its franchise, which allows it to make its premier at this lofty spot. Combat as a franchise focal point is back in spades with this game, ramping up the need to really survive between basic enemies who will really hit you if you're not looking and limited heart pickups. The plot and characters are charming with typical Zelda grace, and the worlds (aside from the overworld, ironically) feel much more dangerous and lived-in. Hopefully this helps develop a new model for console Zelda moving forward.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

#19: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006)
Last Year: 18

First of all, there is little out there as amazing as this game's reveal back during E3 2004. Truly epic stuff right there. But fast forward to November 19, 2006 when the game launched (as well as the Wii!) and once again, Nintendo had created something special. Twilight Princess surpassed all previous Zeldas when it came to that feeling of being an epic adventure, as the game's size, scale, and art direction pointed towards something more grand and majestic. The dungeons were solid, the combat (due to WiiMote controls) were simple yet engaging and fun, Midna was (and still is) Link's best partner, and the final climax of the game is amazing (Note: Ganondorf's appearance in this game is simply awesome). There's a few minor hiccups in the game, such as the tears of light fetchquests, somewhat forgettable music,  and easy bosses, but other than those few quibbles, this game matched the hype put on the game. Twilight Princess was a game that delivered on all fronts. Also, Link can snowboard!

18. Initial speculation about the game had it being subtitled "Dojo."

BasilZero said:

A bit late I apologize ;o

My #24th game is....

Super Mario 64 marks the #24th game spot in my list. This was one of the last N64 games that I had purchased right before the GCN came and the N64 was phasing out in the market. I bought it at full price (if I remember right) as if the game was still new (as in newly released) but I didnt care cause I wanted to play the game for so many years!

When I got my hands on it, I remember playing the game for hours and hours. Like all other platformers during the N64 era, I went on a journey trying to find all sorts of places, glitches and hidden areas I can, I probably managed to clock so many hours from actually exploring rather than finishing the game. 

Anyways, I loved the fact I was able to play Mario in a whole new experience (as I had only played mario games in 2D form especially games like Paper Mario) so I was a pretty much late bloomer to the 3D mario craziness ;o. 

Loved the game so much and I plan to play it again in the future for my YT channel :)

Anyways, I finished the game but didnt get all of the stars :( , just cared more about finishing the plot and rushing past the last few worlds lol 

I give this game a temporary score of 9.2 out of 10.

I hope you get around to getting all the stars. I think getting 100 coins in Tick Tock Clock is the hardest star of them all (since it's so easy to die in that level). That or catching that damn rabbit!

Signature goes here!

Mr Khan said:

Brawl?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Hint for game #18:

And by the way... it only looks like I'm staring at your melons!

TruckOSaurus said:
Mr Khan said:

Brawl?

Some games are harder to make vague clues for...

Mr Khan said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Mr Khan said:

Brawl?

Some games are harder to make vague clues for...

It helps that I was one of the fanboys who visited Smash Dojo daily to get the latest tidbit of information on the game.

Signature goes here!

Perfect Dark

Although it has absolutely nothing to do with James Bond or MI6, Perfect Dark is considered a spiritual sequel to GoldenEye 007, in large part because both were developed by Rare and both use the same engine. Like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark is a mission-based first-person shooter with an in-depth one-player campaign and an addictive multiplayer mode. Perfect Dark sets itself apart from its spiritual predecessor, however, with a terrific sci-fi narrative, graphical enhancements (with the help of the expansion pack), and a multiplayer mode that features increased customization and “simulants,” computer-controlled bots that can fight against or with a human player. Perfect Dark was followed five years later by a prequel, Perfect Dark Zero.

Smeags said:
Hint for game #18:

And by the way... it only looks like I'm staring at your melons!

Hint #2: You earn points for feeding animals and growing trees.