By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2012 Discussion Thread: FINISH YOUR LISTS

Jurginator said:
F0X said:
Well, I'm about to do five hints for games in one fell swoop.

My #45 is a beloved FPS infamous for having an overpowered midget character.
My #44 is the third game in a series about a fictional animal with a very large... arsenal.
My #43 is the direct sequel to a well-liked simulation game filled with hairpin turns and high-velocity thrills.
My #42 is a recent puzzle game with an unusual method of sharing levels.
My #41 is an apocalyptic strategy game that marked a huge shift in tone for its series.

#42: Pushmo?

Yes. QR Codes are for the win.

#45-#42 have been guessed. #41 is going to get another hint at the end of this post.

#45 - Bond. James Bond. Goldeneye 007 (N64) is one of the most famous shooters ever created, introducing mega-fun four-player splitscreen to consoles. Made by a first-rate developer in their prime, Goldeneye set the standard for FPS control and level structure for years to come. People tell me that the gameplay has aged poorly, but fun design never ages.

#44 - Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS2) is the third game in a series I originally didn't care much about, until a friend finally sold me on the epyonomus "arsenal". Ratchet's glorious weapons make for a memorable shooter/platformer experience that's hard to put down. Boatloads of intelligent humor and genuinely decent design didn't hurt either.

#43 - RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 (PC). I had plenty of fun with the first RCT game, but the sequel brought a highly important feature to the table - the park and roller coaster designer. Naturally, I used these tools to make some Nintendo-themed parks, of which the most ambitious were the ones based on Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. My best park, however, was a completely original go-kart park of sheer awesomeness. I miss this game.

#42 - Pushmo. Nintendo's finest downloadable title is absolutely brilliant. An incessantly clever concept backed with intelligent design, cute presentation, and near-infinite replayability through its level editor and the ability to share levels through QR codes. The best levels were definitely the ones featuring Nintendo characters. Nothing is more rewarding than dancing on top of a Link statue after a long, arduous climb.

Another hint for #41. This game also featured a flower-themed parasite in addition to its apocalyptic setting. Definitely a tonal departure for that strategy series.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

No one guessed this one:

34. Call of Duty (PC, also on XBL, PSN)

The birth of one of the great gaming franchises in the world today. Call of Duty took the throne of WW2 shooter from Medal of Honor and never looked back. Great multiplayer gameplay and a superb single player campaign that saw you play as an American, British and Russian soldier, each giving a new perspective on the war. It's a far cry from the over-the-top action the series is now known for.

Clue for No. 33: This game is the very definition of epic boss fights!

Finally updated from 50 to 34!
:D

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

#34 - Shenmue was indeed a game way too ambitious for it's own good. Urban legend has it that even if every Dreamcast owner bought this game, it still would have made a loss. And so it did. That didn't make this game anymore impressive though. The vast world drew you in like a vacuum cleaner. I have never again seen such an immersive world, with a working randomized weather system and realistic day and night cycles. It was also the last game where you really had to explore for yourself. Playing this together with my mother, I remember drawing maps of the areas and taking notes of events all by ourselves. It doesn't get anymore interactive than that. This was the first game that showed 'next-gen' had arrived, and that the Dreamcast could put some holes in the PS2 power-wise if it was put up to it.

#33 - ?
I like four fighting games, two of them are in this top 50. This speedy one, even has something in it's name that you most likely have right in front of your house!

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

I like four fighting games, two of them are in this top 50. This speedy one, even has something in it's name that you most likely have right in front of your house!

Errr... Street Fighter II: Turbo... or Super Street Fighter II: Turbo?!

Scoobes said:

Shadow of the Colossus.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:
Scoobes said:

Shadow of the Colossus.

Yep! They could practically have put that clue on the box

Such an awesome game!

Scoobes said:
S.Peelman said:

Errr... Street Fighter II: Turbo... or Super Street Fighter II: Turbo?!

Correct.

Bit of an easy one. I think it's Street Fighter II Turbo, but you also have a Super Street Fighter II or something, and like two others with a similar name. It's a mess really !

Anyway, I mean the one with 'Turbo'. I have that one, so that one it is !

EDIT: Yes, I checked. There's a Street Fighter II Turbo, a Super Street Fighter II, a Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, a Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition and a Street Fighter Alpha 2 (though this one's newer). A mess indeed...

#34. Super Punch-Out!!

French man are pussies, Canadians are all lumberjacks, the Japanese all do karate, Mexicans are all luchadores. You can't say that in today's world! Unless, you make a Punch-Out!! game of course! While not really politically correct this makes for some very colorful opponents you have to face as Little Mac, the world's smaller boxer.

I've played this game over and over again. My brother and I used to fight for the top time trial scores on each fighter. I believe we had all of them under 30 sec. This is a fantastic game with simple but satisfying gameplay mechanics and it's still a blast to play after all these years.

Signature goes here!