By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted: Golden Abyss was originally on PS3 plus other cool development facts

Tagged games:

It's still the best Vita game and it isn't even all that good.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
The next Uncharted could potentially have been in development for about a year now (Golden Abyss released in Japan in December, so Bend Studio's work on it was mostly done by then). 

That combined with what you said about having a lot to build on (the engine is already there; they've got some expertise with the system), I wouldn't be surprised if we got a reveal of the game next year.  They seemed pretty proficient at developing on PSP (2006, 2007, 2009, with the 2-year gap from them developing for a new IP rather than Syphon Filter).

That said, like I've mentioned in other threads, I still wish they were developing a different Sony IP for Vita.  I think something like God of War (definitely) or Infamous (possibly) would help the system a lot more than a second Uncharted.

But you're right, a new Uncharted game from them does have a lot of potential.

I could see an announcement at E3 or Gamescom and release next november to go along with a price cut. Infamous wouldn't do nearly as well as Uncharted. GOW might, but Uncharted is a bigger franchise now and sells more in Europe, Vita's stongest territory. Bundled with a price-slashed Vita and I think it'll hit 3M lifetime. Ready at Dawn should be developing the GOW Vita, but their next game is for "Next-Gen Home Console" (PS4), so that ain't happening. Who besides bend would you want for GOW Vita?

Kresnik said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

They've got another 2 years to make a sequel, and they've got a lot to build on now rather than make from scratch, so I'm very confident about their next Uncharted :)

The next Uncharted could potentially have been in development for about a year now (Golden Abyss released in Japan in December, so Bend Studio's work on it was mostly done by then). 

That combined with what you said about having a lot to build on (the engine is already there; they've got some expertise with the system), I wouldn't be surprised if we got a reveal of the game next year.  They seemed pretty proficient at developing on PSP (2006, 2007, 2009, with the 2-year gap from them developing for a new IP rather than Syphon Filter).

That said, like I've mentioned in other threads, I still wish they were developing a different Sony IP for Vita.  I think something like God of War (definitely) or Infamous (possibly) would help the system a lot more than a second Uncharted.

But you're right, a new Uncharted game from them does have a lot of potential.

Nobody said it is another Uncharted!

I don't think there is really room for another and despite their best efforts, it struggled from being a non main series game.

All I want is a very nice looking and very nice playing game!

Chandler said:

I think it's a great game!

And you're forgetting about Gravity Rush and LBPV, who a lot consider the best game on it so far. Personally I think Sound Shapes is the best Vita game.

Andrespetmonkey said:
Chandler said:

And you're forgetting about Gravity Rush and LBPV, who a lot consider the best game on it so far. Personally I think Sound Shapes is the best Vita game.

I have all those games and I think Uncharted is the most polished and complete game out of all of them, despite the lackluster combat. Sound Shapes is good for about an hour or two. Gravity Rush is a bust. Empty world, forgettable characters and mindnumbingly boring combat made me quit the game about 12 chapters in. Haven't picked it up since. LBPV is...I can't really put my finger on it. The OLED screen is supposed to display vibrant colors but this game looks sorta like everything has a filter of grey on it. The controls are really sluggish and I haven't really figured out what the game is actually about but I have only beaten the second world, Marionetta or sth.

Uncharted had a neat story and I liked the characters very much. And it's not because I have a history with Chase, Nathan and Sully. Golden Abyss was my first Uncharted game. So story is good, characters are good, graphics are good, colors are vibrant, combat and exploration is meh. Still the best.

Edit: Zero Escape hasn't been released in europe afaik so I can't say anything about it and I haven't played Most Wanted  either.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:

I could see an announcement at E3 or Gamescom and release next november to go along with a price cut. Infamous wouldn't do nearly as well as Uncharted. GOW might, but Uncharted is a bigger franchise now and sells more in Europe, Vita's stongest territory. Bundled with a price-slashed Vita and I think it'll hit 3M lifetime. Ready at Dawn should be developing the GOW Vita, but their next game is for "Next-Gen Home Console" (PS4), so that ain't happening. Who besides bend would you want for GOW Vita?

I think the price cut will happen before November.  I'm thinking early-mid next year to go alongside Killzone + Tearaway, but I've never really followed how price cuts generally work (do they mostly happen on the run up to holidays?) so I guess we'll see.  Although saying that, I suppose those two games could release at any point next year, not necessarily early on.

About Infamous: You're right, I just think it's the kind of game whose mechanics would lend themselves quite well to Vita.  There's potential for some interesting controls and scenarios.  It probably wouldn't be a system seller, but more the kind of library-padder that helped PS3 gain momentum.

About GOW Vita: I have no idea.  Like you say, Ready at Dawn are busy working on next-gen, but they also categorically ruled out developing for Vita (for the time being at least):

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-20-playstation-vita-god-of-war-idea-was-floated-by-ready-at-dawn

The only studios I can think of who would be up for it are some of the second-parties, like say Idols Minds or Mass Media Inc.  Put them on the job and have Santa Monica watch them like a hawk while making the game.  Who do you think?

Chandler said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Chandler said:

OK, but a lot disagree with you on GR, LBPV and I would argue on SS as well, which is my point. So to say Uncharted is the best game on Vita probably doesn't represent what the majority of Vita owners think. 

OPEN WORLD DAYYUM

Kresnik said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

The only studios I can think of who would be up for it are some of the second-parties, like say Idols Minds or Mass Media Inc.  Put them on the job and have Santa Monica watch them like a hawk while making the game.  Who do you think?

SuperBot. They work closely with Santa monica already and seem to be a talented studio. They are a team built for fighters, and though GOW is far from a tekken or PS all stars, they have a lot in common... this would however mean a 2014 release at the earliest. If PASBR is a success, there is no way this'll happen though.

Idol Minds may be the best option. 

Playing it right now, and loving it. SCE Bend studio always knew how to make a good action game, and they delivered Cant wait for the sequel

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!