By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU: Downloaded software can't be saved to the SD card

Q. Can downloaded software saved to USB media be played on another Wii U
A. No. Downloaded software can only be used on 1 Wii U per 1 USB media.

Q. Where is downloaded software saved to?
A. Internal memory or USB media. Downloaded software can't be saved to the SD card.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/support/qa/software/index.html

stolen from our enemies at gaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499306

Shitstorm incoming...........

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Thats disappointing. Does WiiU have a download list like PSN and Steam?

RolStoppable said:
NiKKoM said:

Why? What am I missing?

I second this. What's the problem?

RolStoppable said:
NiKKoM said:

Why? What am I missing?

we had a 300+ posts thread about wifi and the option to buy a 15 bucks ethernet dongle... so I expect at least 400 posts of not able to use a 32gb sd card to save your downloaded content.. whats the SD card then for? only Savegames?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

So Wii U will be my "home" console then. Why can't they allow using content on other consoles? Oh well, even more years of 360 at friends' then.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
RolStoppable said:
NiKKoM said:

Why? What am I missing?

we had a 300+ posts thread about wifi and the option to buy a 15 bucks ethernet dongle... so I expect at least 400 posts of not able to use a 32gb sd card to save your downloaded content.. whats the SD card then for? only Savegames?

So save it to a USB thumb drive or external HDD.

I was going to go for a SD card to add more space but I suppose I will go USB instead. USB external hard drive would be the cheapest for the amount of space anyways.  At least I don't have to buy an overpriced proprietary memory card.  I might not even have to get more space considering I probably won't fill up that 32 GB anytime soon with just Ware, VC titles.  I don't plan on buying digital copies of retail games.

K so I download a game on my SD card which I will then play on my Wii U, which then will save on my Wii U and not on my SD card. What's the problem? Am I missing something?

Ostro said:
So Wii U will be my "home" console then. Why can't they allow using content on other consoles? Oh well, even more years of 360 at friends' then.

Piracy.

That, among many other reasons, is why physical > digital imo

I can't believe people's expectations for the account system were so high, when Nintendo hadn't given any details up to that point and their previous track record is that games are locked to hardware except for a one-time transfer (DSi to 3DS).

Nintendo consoles will never be as flexible or as media focused as a 360 or PS3, it's just not their strategy.