By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii has a fantastic 3rd party game library

Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:

There are no facts when it comes to game quality, everything is an opinion.

No, actually quality isn't subjective. I can not like a certain game but i can still admit it has quality and recognize it as such

But your admission that it's quality even if you don't like it is still made through the lens of your own perception. We can never be truly objective because we cannot escape our own heads. 

No, quality can be distinguished regardless of your own taste and preference

There is no universally agreed upon set of criteria for a quality game though, so true objectivity is impossible. 

Again, even when you try to step outside your own personal likes and dislikes, your assessment is still bound by the way you interpret the world. It's like this: say you're looking at something through different pairs of reading glasses; even if you wear none, you eyes are still a lens in themselves, from which you cannot escape.

There actually is an objective critera that make a quality game, regardless of tase. Polishness, free of technical problems, satisfactory content and a good user interface just to name a few. You wont tell me there is anyone that hates these things. This is something that all quality games should have. Fun is subjective, quality isn't

On the contrary, some people love messing around with glitches and stuff. Satisfactory content and user interfaces are also open to interpretation as to what constitutes "quality."

I'm talking about overall quality anyway, not how many polygons or glitches a game has. Using technical numbers to determine quality is like judging a car's overall quality by its paint job. Fun is THE defining quality video games offer. They are, after all, entertainment.

And fun can't be quantified. A game could have advanced graphics and no glitches, but that doesn't make it a quality game, it just makes it a technically proficient one, it could still be absolute garbage to someone if it they don't enjoy playing it.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
sethnintendo said:
oniyide said:
this is a funny thread, got people listing 1st party games as 3rd party ones, another guy doesnt know a series went multiplat a while ago. ANd some who have clearly poor taste. None of those COD games should be categorized as anything but mediocore or poor IMHO. COD3 didnt even have multiplayer

Put over 600 hours combined on WaW and BO for the Wii.  They might be easy to diss when compared to the HD consoles but they were near the top FPS for the Wii. The Wiimote+nunchuck controls in WaW and BO handled even better than Goldeneye 007 (Wii) even with extra custom control tweaking (they should have just copied the controls direcetly from WaW).  Talk shit about them all you want but there are a few people that thought they were good.  I gave them both mid to high 80s score.

Yeah, "few" thats my point. You can praise the wiimote+nunchuck setup all you want(and you know what, nothing wrong with that it is good). But when the game not only looks worst, lags, has pop-in, broken textures, one of the games didnt even have multiplayer, choppy online, barely any updates and lacks even the option to buy additional content. Its not hard to imagine why damn near 90% of the gamers over look it. Now if you are willing to put up with all that just for motion controls, then more power to you, but you do know you're in the minority.  You gave them 80s? Ok, good for you, what did the professional reviews give it? You gave it 80s compared to what? Other Wii games, those are the best FPSs you can get on Wii and that right there just shows how sad the library really is, at least in regards to FPSs

Why should I care? Professional reviewers have virtually no more credibility than any random gamer on a forum. They're just one person with an opinion, who just happens to be capable or semi-capable of expressing their opinion in writing. Not only do they rarely align with my own view, so I have no need for their perceptions, but looking at the numerous games that get bad reviews and good sales or vice versa, they often don't align with the views of the majority of gamers either. 

Reviewers have far too much undeserved power in gaming today, and they get it from sheep who play what they are told is good without forming their own opinions.

If it has no more credibility then whats the point? The fact that he gave it 80s doesnt really help his argument then going by your logic (which i do agree with to a certain extent). 

How can they form their own opinions without having to play the game? Are they expected to plunk down dozens of bucks to form their own opinion? Lets be real here. Not saying that reviews dont have too much power, which they do. But you are not bringing any credible alternatives yourself

yes, the Wii has many good enough 3rd party titles to keep you busy! : )|

but it depends on someone's taste really

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

i enjoy the Conduit comparison. LMAO. There were better FPSs released LAST gen; Timesplitters, Black, MOH, Halo, Red Faction, etc.

oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
sethnintendo said:
oniyide said:
this is a funny thread, got people listing 1st party games as 3rd party ones, another guy doesnt know a series went multiplat a while ago. ANd some who have clearly poor taste. None of those COD games should be categorized as anything but mediocore or poor IMHO. COD3 didnt even have multiplayer

Put over 600 hours combined on WaW and BO for the Wii.  They might be easy to diss when compared to the HD consoles but they were near the top FPS for the Wii. The Wiimote+nunchuck controls in WaW and BO handled even better than Goldeneye 007 (Wii) even with extra custom control tweaking (they should have just copied the controls direcetly from WaW).  Talk shit about them all you want but there are a few people that thought they were good.  I gave them both mid to high 80s score.

Yeah, "few" thats my point. You can praise the wiimote+nunchuck setup all you want(and you know what, nothing wrong with that it is good). But when the game not only looks worst, lags, has pop-in, broken textures, one of the games didnt even have multiplayer, choppy online, barely any updates and lacks even the option to buy additional content. Its not hard to imagine why damn near 90% of the gamers over look it. Now if you are willing to put up with all that just for motion controls, then more power to you, but you do know you're in the minority.  You gave them 80s? Ok, good for you, what did the professional reviews give it? You gave it 80s compared to what? Other Wii games, those are the best FPSs you can get on Wii and that right there just shows how sad the library really is, at least in regards to FPSs

Why should I care? Professional reviewers have virtually no more credibility than any random gamer on a forum. They're just one person with an opinion, who just happens to be capable or semi-capable of expressing their opinion in writing. Not only do they rarely align with my own view, so I have no need for their perceptions, but looking at the numerous games that get bad reviews and good sales or vice versa, they often don't align with the views of the majority of gamers either. 

Reviewers have far too much undeserved power in gaming today, and they get it from sheep who play what they are told is good without forming their own opinions.

If it has no more credibility then whats the point? The fact that he gave it 80s doesnt really help his argument then going by your logic (which i do agree with to a certain extent). 

How can they form their own opinions without having to play the game? Are they expected to plunk down dozens of bucks to form their own opinion? Lets be real here. Not saying that reviews dont have too much power, which they do. But you are not bringing any credible alternatives yourself

Personally, I watch gameplay online, that's generally a  good indicator if I'll like it. Works for me most of the time, anyway.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
sethnintendo said:
oniyide said:

Personally, I watch gameplay online, that's generally a  good indicator if I'll like it. Works for me most of the time, anyway.

good for you, wish i can say the same. For me its the opposite, since most of the time they just show you what they want to show you, the best parts. But thats just me.

Out of that whole list, nine of them I'd like to try out one day. One that stood out to me was the Sid Meier Pirate game. Is that somewhat similar to his Civ games?

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

regin2005 said:

Out of that whole list, nine of them I'd like to try out one day. One that stood out to me was the Sid Meier Pirate game. Is that somewhat similar to his Civ games?

Haven't played the Civ games but did play this one.  Likely you'd love it to, but you're better off getting it for PC, it's exactly the same, minus tacked on motion controls, and probably half the price or less on Steam.

Many people here talkin out of their asses, saddening really, not a single mature response from non Ninty fans
i guess world keeps rolling

PD: Add to the list the following games

. Fatal frame 4
. Ju-on the grudge
. Calling
. Sakura wars
. Dewys adventure
. Fragile

DieAppleDie said:
Many people here talkin out of their asses, saddening really, not a single mature response from non Ninty fans
i guess world keeps rolling

PD: Add to the list the following games

. Fatal frame 4
. Ju-on the grudge
. Calling
. Sakura wars
. Dewys adventure
. Fragile

Now you're listing some good games.

Fatal Frame 4 is actually a Nintendo title.  They bought the IP.

Sakura Wars is one of my favorite games this gen.  But very, very niche and certainly no to everyone's taste.

I wish Wii had had more original and excellent titles like Dewy's Adventure, Zack & Wiki or Boom Blox Bash Party that really tried to create all new gameplay with motion controls.   They were all  really good but none sold well (the original Boom Blox did at least).

Re: FF4, FF2, Calling, Ju-on, Fragile, Silent Hill:SM, Resident Evil 4,0,REmake, Cursed Mountain - I pretty certain Wii had more true Survival Horrors than the HD systems.  It's one area where the Wii exceeded.    HD consoles got more Action/Horror like RE5&6 and Silent Hill:Homecoming