By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Bungie's decision to leave the Halo universe the best thing to happen to Halo?

I think it is, and here are my reasons why...

1. Microsoft would have never invested the crazy amount of money in to Halo 4 had Bungie been involved. Meaning that presentation and sound would not have been as good as they are. Gameplay would still be killer though.

2. I believe Bungie and their vision of Halo as a massive blockbuster AAA game peaked with Halo 3. ODST and Reach were both interesting, but they felt more like side games, not the main event.

3. Working on the same franchise for 10 years takes a toll on your creative vision. It's would be harder for Bungie to reboot the franchise than for a brand new team.

4. Games that feel and play unique like Halo are very rare these days. With Bungie gone doing their own game, and 323 studios doing such an awesome job with their first Halo game, we may end up with 2 amazing franchises on our hands. 

What do you think? Yay or nay?

Around the Network

Yeah, I agree. Especially part 2. It leaves them free to do Destiny for the NeXtbox launch. Turning up to work and doing the exact, or well, at lest very similar things everyday for 10 years would kill me...

Reach also was taking Halo in the wrong direction. I feel they put massive amounts of thought and effort into it to try and get the CoD players back. It failed. (I excused ODST because it was an actual expansion, Reach was a full fledged prequel they spent tonnes of time and money on) Halo 4 is absolutely awesome!!

I totally agree - especially your point #1
No way Microsoft spends the money as they did if Bungie was in charge.
What was their budget for the game? Most expensive game to be made thus far?

Seems fair enough reasoning. Yay!

This is funny (not in a bad way) because I remember when people first heard 343 were making Halo 4 everyone started crying about how the franchise was going to be destroyed without Bungie. One Halo game later, everyone now thinks Bungie leaving Halo was the best thing to happen to Halo.

I guess times change.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:

Yeah, I agree. Especially part 2. It leaves them free to do Destiny for the NeXtbox launch. Turning up to work and doing the exact, or well, at lest very similar things everyday for 10 years would kill me...

Reach also was taking Halo in the wrong direction. I feel they put massive amounts of thought and effort into it to try and get the CoD players back. It failed. (I excused ODST because it was an actual expansion, Reach was a full fledged prequel they spent tonnes of time and money on) Halo 4 is absolutely awesome!!

Multiplayer aside where I agree with you, I actually think Bungie was on to something with the ODST campaign. It was awesome IMO. It was quite intense being a human and not being a badass spartan. Playing it on heroic and legendary made me use a lot of stealth and made the player feel vulnerable. 

I thought that if they explored that a bit further in a full fledged game, they could have found a new secret saue for Halo. A open world, stealth based shooter kind of thing...

But Reach took it right back to the old, attack everything head on type of Halo campaign.

UltimateUnknown said:
This is funny (not in a bad way) because I remember when people first heard 343 were making Halo 4 everyone started crying about how the franchise was going to be destroyed without Bungie. One Halo game later, everyone now thinks Bungie leaving Halo was the best thing to happen to Halo.

I guess times change.

Well people can cry all they want when things are being speculated, but they can't argue with actual results on paper.

100% Yes

Bungie is an amazing developer but I felt with Reach the Halo games were starting to get a bit boring.

Dont get me wrong I loved Reach and it was a great game but it still felt somewhat been there done that. 343 have burst out of the gate with the best Halo in years and have given the franchise a fresh take. Overall tbe change in developer was awesome

Agree 100%

Bungie never made the video games have that certain emotional depth that Halo 4 has. Bungie never truly tied the novels to the games before either.

And frankly, Bungie never made you FEEL like Master Chief (climbing up the wall, prying open the doors, punching an elite/promethean in the face. Master Chief simply does more action in the cutscenes then he ever did with Bungie.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Everytime a new Halo game gets released people call it the best one (well except for ODST/WARS and anniversary for obvious reasons) but you should look up the launch Halo reach thread for an example.

I don't really agree with all your reasons...

Impressions will change after one month...

Honestly after beating the campaign I find it hard to say it is the best Halo game. The star wars/COD additions don't make me to happy...Their is so much missing that makes me miss the other games that I can't talk about without spoiling;..But can tell you already that I miss the funny understandable discussions of the Covenant....and a lot of them are missing.. Also hoped to see a lot more that didn't make it and all of this because they still had not the time enough for it...