By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New chromebook out

Samsung just put out a new chromebook that has ARM chips, instead of intel this time around saving in production cost.  The new chromebook is only $250 and while I don't think for a second that it is going to scare Microsoft in the least, windows marketshare has declined over the last decade and this won't help things at all.  My guess for chrome OS will come to 3-5% within a couple of years but if it is profitable, then who cares?  It will only weaken a competitor anyway.  I

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

Windows marketshare has declined over the last few years.....

Yeah, it's just 91% (82 when you throw in tablets and the like)

Chrome falls into the "others" at a combined less than 1.5%.

Windows has gone from a ~95% marketshare to a (using your numbers) 82% marketshare in less than three years.

You really don't think that's a problem for Microsoft?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Honestly.. you say that A new chrome book is out and instead of posting the actual product and endorsing it. You instead have to mock microsoft.

Mother f***ing good job.

Yay!!!

Chrome Books have got to be the worst idea of all time.

"Do you like the internet?"

"Yes"

"Good, because you can't do anything without it."

Seriously, why would anyone pay money for a product that becomes useless the moment you walk outside the building? Honestly, I want to know.

kowenicki said:
Why would anyone buy a chromebook? Seriously.... Why?

Good question, they are a substitute for netbooks, hence the "book" part of the chromebook name.  If somebody just wants to browse, (even though chromebooks can use office-like programs, and a bit more). Then they have all that is needed.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
rocketpig said:
kowenicki said:

Windows marketshare has declined over the last few years.....

Yeah, it's just 91% (82 when you throw in tablets and the like)

Chrome falls into the "others" at a combined less than 1.5%.

Windows has gone from a ~95% marketshare to a (using your numbers) 82% marketshare in less than three years.

You really don't think that's a problem for Microsoft?

No it's gone from 95 to 92 on pc's

The other number is skewed by tablets.  But as windows 8 tablets are just launching and will be successful then that will help wont it. 

The number is skewed by tablets because less people are buying PCs. That's a huge problem for Microsoft. As tablets grow in power and flexibility, people have less use for a PC at home and will stop buying them in rather large numbers.

Again, that's a big problem for Microsoft. If they find themselves on the outside of the tablet market as they are in the phone market, their sphere of influence is going to continue to shrink in consumers' eyes.

kain_kusanagi said:

"Yes"

Seriously, why would anyone pay money for a product that becomes useless the moment you walk outside the building? Honestly, I want to know.

I don't have a use for a Chromebook myself (I'm a developer, need a PC/Mac) but if I walked outside with one, I'd simple power up my phone hotspot.

There are very few situations where I do not have a readily-available connection to the internet.

Chromebook is a bit premature but it gets the job done for at least 30-40% of the PC users. In a not too distant future Chrome browser will be strong enough to handle lots of things.

rocketpig said:
kain_kusanagi said:

"Yes"

I don't have a use for a Chromebook myself (I'm a developer, need a PC/Mac) but if I walked outside with one, I'd simple power up my phone hotspot.

There are very few situations where I do not have a readily-available connection to the internet.

From my perspective a Chromebook can't do anything better than a Netbook or a Tablet other than keeping your data safe in the cloud rather than in jeopardy on a harddrive that could be stolen or broken. But you can use cloud storage on any PC or Tablet so I just don't see the point. Sure you can pay for extra data to use it away from WiFi, but a netbook or tablet keeps on chugging along even if the you loose data access.