By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Lets talk Dualshock 4

brendude13 said:
greenmedic88 said:

If the same basic 15 year old design is used, then the following wouldn't be bad ideas:
1. Improve L1/R1 trigger buttons: no "mushy" feel, stronger springs, more of a positive feedback, trigger-like feel with progressive resistance that increases the further pressed. Change the shape of the trigger buttons from convex to concave.
2. Change the analog stick nubs from convex to concave.
3. Smooth out some of the harder edges for better ergonomics (analog stick housings, shoulder button housings)

Of lesser note: may as well improve the force feedback to utilize improvements in technology.

I don't understand that complaint. I hate the Xbox 360's analogues. It's so uncomfortable pushing my thumbs down on the rims of the sticks and my thumbs always slip over the concave area because there is no grip. Your thumbs aren't supposed to stay in a set place on the analogue stick, they're supposed to roll around it, which they can't do very well on concave analogue sticks.

I agree completely.  The stick extensions I use actually have concave tops and I don't really care for it.  I play with the tips of my thumbs resting on the edges, not with them resting on top of the sticks.  I don't really understand how people do that.  It feels so much more responsive to me to move the sticks by pushing against them rather than pressing down on them and dragging them with your thumbs.  Just a difference in tastes, I guess, but I hope it doesn't change.

Perhaps they could ship with changable caps?

Around the Network
wfz said:
Honestly, I wish they'd make a new controller. I can't stand the button names (x, square, circle, triangle) and I hate the placement of the analog sticks. The controller is really tiny too, which doesn't feel all that fantastic when gripped.

Basically, I'd like to see them use simpler button names such as what Nintendo and Microsoft do, analog stick replacement, and I'd like to see a bigger cotnroller.

Change that? No way! It's the collest button names in game history! Come on, A, B, Y, Z, that's boring and isn't even a little bit original.

tablets have taken over, DEAL WITH IT!

brendude13 said:
greenmedic88 said:

If the same basic 15 year old design is used, then the following wouldn't be bad ideas:
1. Improve L1/R1 trigger buttons: no "mushy" feel, stronger springs, more of a positive feedback, trigger-like feel with progressive resistance that increases the further pressed. Change the shape of the trigger buttons from convex to concave.
3. Smooth out some of the harder edges for better ergonomics (analog stick housings, shoulder button housings)

Of lesser note: may as well improve the force feedback to utilize improvements in technology.

I don't understand that complaint. I hate the Xbox 360's analogues. It's so uncomfortable pushing my thumbs down on the rims of the sticks and my thumbs always slip over the concave area because there is no grip. Your thumbs aren't supposed to stay in a set place on the analogue stick, they're supposed to roll around it, which they can't do very well on concave analogue sticks.

The stick covers and trigger buttons (shape) are more personal preference than anything else.

SCE is more or less dedicated towards keeping all buttons, etc. convex so I don't see it happening, but my main DS3 controller has FPS Freek stick extensions (concave heads) and trigger attachments (concave) to make the changes that work best for me. I also put little analog nub covers on my PSVita for better grip. 

I find that with convex heads, your thumbs can roll off once they're worn down to the point that there's no texture left on them. 

pokoko said:
brendude13 said:
greenmedic88 said:

I agree completely.  The stick extensions I use actually have concave tops and I don't really care for it.  I play with the tips of my thumbs resting on the edges, not with them resting on top of the sticks.  I don't really understand how people do that.  It feels so much more responsive to me to move the sticks by pushing against them rather than pressing down on them and dragging them with your thumbs.  Just a difference in tastes, I guess, but I hope it doesn't change.

Would be nice, but seeing as how there are businesses that already make these caps to change the throw length of the sticks and the shape of the heads, there's no real reason for SCE to include these, even if they only cost $.50 to make. 

It is just a personal preference and my guess would be about half prefer convex and half concave. 

Around the Network

How is the Dual Shock 3 perfect when you can barely pick up the controller without slightly nudging the L2, or R2 buttons.

It's terrible when playing a fighting game. Selected wrong character because I picked up the controller.. Nice... There needs to be something to prevent that from happening. The controller should NOT sit on it's L2 and R2 buttons, it's annoying. The shape of those two buttons don't bother me at all, but, you can't un-do your selection in every fighting game, and in some games, yes, the L2 and R2 buttons, along with every other face and shoulder button, will select a character.

PS2 never had that problem, and that's what I hate most about that controller. And, the fact that fighting games wear out the d-pad rather quickly.

I really don't care what they do as long as the DS3 still works with PS4.

Mmmfishtacos said:
I really don't care what they do as long as the DS3 still works with PS4.

There's really no reason why SCE can't make both if you think about it. 

pokoko said:
brendude13 said:
greenmedic88 said:

no let third parties offer that I doubt it would sell many systems.  I mean not enough to go through the design and shipping 2 caps with each one.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Maybe they should make few versions and sell them all. Would be a first.