By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Lets talk Dualshock 4

What should Sony do with it? More of the same? Add a little touch-screen to it? Copy Nintendo's tablet controller? What are your ideas?

I'll go first:

Dualshock 4 needs to have the same button layout as the DS3. I wouldn't hurt to change up the design a bit though. Make it more comfortable to hold. Get rid of those R2/L2 buttons. Go back to the PS2 ones or copy the 360 triggers. About rumble.......it feels a little cheap on the DS3. Instead of having 2 big motors on each side, why not split it into multiple smaller ones? That way the rumble is evenly spread and feels better.

Your turn.

Around the Network

Honestly, I wish they'd make a new controller. I can't stand the button names (x, square, circle, triangle) and I hate the placement of the analog sticks. The controller is really tiny too, which doesn't feel all that fantastic when gripped.

Basically, I'd like to see them use simpler button names such as what Nintendo and Microsoft do, analog stick replacement, and I'd like to see a bigger cotnroller.

I think DS3 is quite comfortable. I don't have any complaints. In fact I hope they keep it the same. When I see a see the PS controller it's very nostalgic, and I think a lot of people feel the same way. Small changes internally are okay, but the overall exterior should remain the same.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

wfz said:
Honestly, I wish they'd make a new controller. I can't stand the button names (x, square, circle, triangle) and I hate the placement of the analog sticks. The controller is really tiny too, which doesn't feel all that fantastic when gripped.

Basically, I'd like to see them use simpler button names such as what Nintendo and Microsoft do, analog stick replacement, and I'd like to see a bigger cotnroller.

If they change that then it just wouldn't be Playstation. It wouldn't be Dualshock 4 either....

HesAPooka said:
I think DS3 is quite comfortable. I don't have any complaints. In fact I hope they keep it the same. When I see a see the PS controller it's very nostalgic, and I think a lot of people feel the same way. Small changes internally are okay, but the overall exterior should remain the same.

I'm not saying it's not comfortable the way it is, I'm saying it could be so much better. Wouldnt hurt to use some better materials too. 

Pick up an iPhone 5 vs the Galaxy SIII....the difference in materials is instantly noticable. Higher Quality = Better Comfort.

Around the Network

Make it a little more "shapely" (some beef around the grips), concave analogs in the same position, Vita style D-Pad, Xbox 360 style triggers. 10% larger than DS3 overall. Add a new slider with 3 settings below an analog or on the side just as extra input (could be used in an FPS to change firing modes, for example). And of course minimise dead zones in the analogs, make sure it's super responsive and it has a long battery life (at least 10 hours, rechargeable).

No change. DS3 is perfect.

i find the ds3 really comfortable myself honestly, in terms of improvement i guess they could do rubber grips on the sides or something and maybe make the action buttons and d-pad more "clicky"

and no i don't want a screen in the controller, as far as i'm concerned that's what my tv is far

Fix L2 and R2, make them concave. Wouldn't mind concave analogue sticks either, but not too put off by them the way they are. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

I can understand the complaint about it being made bigger and more padded. Honestly, it doesn't bother me and I have fairly big hands, but I wouldn't complain if they made it slightly more chunky.

Saying they should change the button names, though? They're not complicated by any stretch of the imagination, especially when you look at them. I don't see how it would make the slightest bit of difference if they changed it to letters. It would still just be one symbol on each button. And I think they should probably stick with symbols which have been a large part of the advertising for the past 15 years.

edit: I thank you for giving me a nice idea for my sig though, wfz :P

Rumble should be changed to viviTouch, check it out here http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/27/how-vivitouch-could-change-rumble-technology/.

The DS4 should be a vita With larger sticks and R2/L2 buttons. of of course keep the ds3 for the "classic" controller.