By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Black Ops 2 Review Thread - Metacritic Below Halo 4.

kowenicki said:
selnor said:
Aldro said:
Just 1 point less than halo 4. What the fuck.

In general, I think the critics are a bit fed up with devs playing it safe. Both Halo and CoD have been praised with atleast one game (Halo 3 - 94, MW2 - 94) but with each game from there theyve begun to drop. Gears does the same but unlike CoD and Halo, hasnt been around for >3 games. Same applies to God of War. I bet Judgment & Ascension might not get 90 meta but chances are TLOU might knock it outta the park if done well. UC2s 96 is a true testiment of this also. Most people would say UC2 not only destroyed its predecessor, but it started something regarding the whole cinematic narrative setpiece stuff. It wasnt first, god no. But id argue it left a very strong impression. Even UC3, playing it "safer" just bigger, managed to grab a lovely 92. Critics want something fresh.

Journey is 2% in content compared to Blops 2 & Halo 4 -> yetvthat 2% is insanely valued by people and rightfully so: its something different.

Lbp 1 - 95 meta, different thing. Lbp 2 - 91, still feels fresh but not the same freshness as 4 years back.

MS with Halo, Gears and even Forza (which too declines by 1 point each game [not counting horizon its different])were bound to havecthis happen. I just didnt figure halo 4 to be that game.

New IPs, new things. Thats what keeps the industry moving. Unless you somehow improve UC1-UC2 style which really is rare. Halo 4 might be the best halo but combat evolved will forever have that first impression.

Big problem with that though. Is Dishonoured for example. That game disappointed me. And I like games like that. It was 7/10 at best. 

Reviews are becoming tedious to be onest. 

UC1 for me was better than 2. But yet 2 killed in scores. Visuals were better in 2, but 1 was muc more fun and had better gameplay.

I agree with this.  I thought I was alone in preferring UC DF over the other two and Dishonoured is not doing it for me at all, probably wont finish it.

1% of the population that plays videogames are rather many people as a whole. Its just not nearly as many as 99%.

I bet there are people who like to eat turds too in the world.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
selnor said:
Aldro said:

In general, I think the critics are a bit fed up with devs playing it safe. Both Halo and CoD have been praised with atleast one game (Halo 3 - 94, MW2 - 94) but with each game from there theyve begun to drop. Gears does the same but unlike CoD and Halo, hasnt been around for >3 games. Same applies to God of War. I bet Judgment & Ascension might not get 90 meta but chances are TLOU might knock it outta the park if done well. UC2s 96 is a true testiment of this also. Most people would say UC2 not only destroyed its predecessor, but it started something regarding the whole cinematic narrative setpiece stuff. It wasnt first, god no. But id argue it left a very strong impression. Even UC3, playing it "safer" just bigger, managed to grab a lovely 92. Critics want something fresh.

Journey is 2% in content compared to Blops 2 & Halo 4 -> yetvthat 2% is insanely valued by people and rightfully so: its something different.

Lbp 1 - 95 meta, different thing. Lbp 2 - 91, still feels fresh but not the same freshness as 4 years back.

MS with Halo, Gears and even Forza (which too declines by 1 point each game [not counting horizon its different])were bound to havecthis happen. I just didnt figure halo 4 to be that game.

New IPs, new things. Thats what keeps the industry moving. Unless you somehow improve UC1-UC2 style which really is rare. Halo 4 might be the best halo but combat evolved will forever have that first impression.

Big problem with that though. Is Dishonoured for example. That game disappointed me. And I like games like that. It was 7/10 at best. 

UC1 for me was better than 2. But yet 2 killed in scores. Visuals were better in 2, but 1 was muc more fun and had better gameplay.

I agree with this.  I thought I was alone in preferring UC DF over the other two and Dishonoured is not doing it for me at all, probably wont finish it.

Lump me in this pile as well. Dishonored was a serious let down for me. I trusted the reviews and in the end I didn't even reach the Pindleton's before I sold my game. Got $37 for it on eBay yesterday. I just found it really boring.

Meanwhile here I am, currently invested countless hours into Ragnarok Odyssey, a game with a 65 metascore.

I also thought UC:DF was better than UC2. Hell, I remember when I first ran into those zombie things. What a refreshing change of pace that was. Yeah, story-wise it wasn't the greatest, but gameplay wise it was awesome.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
kowenicki said:
selnor said:
Aldro said:

Lump me in this pile as well. Dishonored was a serious let down for me. I trusted the reviews and in the end I didn't even reach the Pindleton's before I sold my game. Got $37 for it on eBay yesterday. I just found it really boring.

Meanwhile here I am, currently invested countless hours into Ragnarok Odyssey, a game with a 65 metascore.

I also thought UC:DF was better than UC2. Hell, I remember when I first ran into those zombie things. What a refreshing change of pace that was. Yeah, story-wise it wasn't the greatest, but gameplay wise it was awesome.

We've found 3 out of 500 people here! Cool :)

We also have atleast 1 out of few people here who rated a game like Halo 4 0/10 on Meta (ya'll know who im refering to) xD

Aldro said:
Euphoria14 said:
kowenicki said:
selnor said:
Aldro said:

We also have atleast 1 out of few people here who rated a game like Halo 4 0/10 on Meta (ya'll know who im refering to) xD

You're comparing me to Turkish? This must really be bugging you, haha.

Look, you want to take reviewers word as gospel, go ahead, more power to you. Me on the other hand? I make up my own mind.

My post was also nothing against you, in case you possibly took it that way. I was just chiming in to express my complete disappointment with Dishonored.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Aldro said:
Euphoria14 said:
kowenicki said:
selnor said:
Aldro said:

You're comparing me to Turkish? This must really be bugging you, haha.

Look, you want to take reviewers word as gospel, go ahead, more power to you. Me on the other hand? I make up my own mind.

My post was also nothing against you, in case you possibly took it that way. I was just chiming in to express my complete disappointment with Dishonored.

Once again: I haven't beaten DIshonored yet, but I cant get my ass to do it. Why? Because its a tad too slow for me xD. I can still see the charm with the game.

No I am not comparing YOU. I am drawing a parallel to just how many different people there are out there and claims such as "I thought I was the only one" is pure "lol".

Fact remains that Dishonored was praised by those who are practically forced on playing games that they might not even like in order to review them, as well as Uncharted 2 being praised beyond nearly every game this generation. Your personal opinion is your opinion and thats that. But in a topic where metacritic is the main goal: Why are we even discussing what you think? I had a fucking fun time with Haze with my friend. Like, it was really enjoyable! Doesnt change the fact that the game as a whole was pretty damn bad.

I also laugh hysterically when I hear stuff like "Media have hidden agendas". Are we really different? Anyone that's been a member here for some time knows that I am one of the biggest PS3 fans, and love UC3 to death. Just like those people would be likely to know that Selnor heavily favours the 360 and almost takes any oppertunity to raise it up. Both fans on both "sides" are equally guilty for being very very extreme here regarding their console. Go from Zanewests "truer words" to Husbos "UC3 best game". Like jesus.

We are no better than the critics and at times, we dont even allow ourselves to enjoy a game because of it being say exclusive. I know this because back in 09 when I played Halo 3 and Gears 2, I thought they were mediocre at best. Over time however, I realise and appreciate them as great games. Even Call of Duty who does the same thing over and over is a great game. But what gives universal praise, is not simply repeating a process and improving, no. Its changing and taking risks. If the fans love the franchise, and trust the developer that once made them love their game: They should look forward to falling in love all over again and not just holding on to a love that will eventually fade and be a mirage of the past.

EDIT:
Apologize for using Thehusbo, Zanewest & Selnor as examples, but you felt the most fresh to me as of now

Around the Network
Aldro said:

make that 4  - UC1 was just a joy to play, while in UC2 they introduced those stupid bullet sponges that need an entire magazine to the head to take down, imo those are shit, same goes for the boss (not that UC1 had the perfect boss fight, but atleast it wasn't frustrating crap)

Lafiel said:
Aldro said:

make that 4  - UC1 was just a joy to play, while in UC2 they introduced those stupid bullet sponges that need an entire magazine to the head to take down, imo those are shit, same goes for the boss (not that UC1 had the perfect boss fight, but atleast it wasn't frustrating crap)

4 it is!

A quick search ongoogle took me to Neogaf and found me 4 users on a page who find Uncharted 2 to be one/if not their favourite game of this generation.

"SlowRevolution" , "jackb242" , "Toki767" and "Incendiary"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=42468807

Means much huh? x'D There are tons more there too.

90% is the bare minimum average score i expect of the games that i purchase. if a game does not score 90%+, say 80% to 89%, i usually wait for it to drop in price.

Both Black Ops 2 and Halo 4 have failed to deliver and they do not deserve higher sales than their prequels that received higher scores.

pezus said:
Aldro said:

Don't overanalyse. 87 is a lot of praise, and so is 86. It's not like going from 91 to 87 is a vast difference.

Also, Black Ops II is currently a full point higher on gamerankings. I wonder if the games will end with the same score.

Find it a bit funny though, that Halo 4 has too little "new" stuff, yet Blops 2 gets around the same. I havent really kept an eye on CoD in like forever, so its hard for me to even say if its different from the other ones.

selnor said:

Best Halo ever - gets less than all the rest.

Best COD ever gets less than all the rest.

Best Gears ever gets less than all the rest.

METACRITIC IS BROKEN.

Still glad Halo 4 beats it. Halo 4 is the best game of the generation.

More like it is ending this generation, so things are getting old.  It gets harder and harder to get 90s, when you have seen what a game has done before in prior iterations.  That goes for Gears, Halo and COD.