By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year COMPILED 2008 to 2013 (7th Gen)

riderz13371 said:
yo_john117 said:
What I got from this is that the PS3 is a GOTY beast. It actually is quite similar to movie of the year awards. Usually the best selling games and movies that everyone plays/watches don't get GOTY (there are exceptions of course) and for some reason the really high quality films and games that do get GOTY awards don't sell as well (they mostly still sell very well though).

The Hurt Locker =(. Such a great film yet not many people watched it. Stupid Avatar movie -.-

HOLY SHIT look at ur sig and then avataInfamous 2 is the reason for the fungus prolly! The last remaining humans vs the conduits lol

Around the Network

That is a beautiful list of games. Yes that includes MW2.

riderz13371 said:
yo_john117 said:
What I got from this is that the PS3 is a GOTY beast. It actually is quite similar to movie of the year awards. Usually the best selling games and movies that everyone plays/watches don't get GOTY (there are exceptions of course) and for some reason the really high quality films and games that do get GOTY awards don't sell as well (they mostly still sell very well though).

The Hurt Locker =(. Such a great film yet not many people watched it. Stupid Avatar movie -.-

I actually watched the Hurt Locker and whilst it was an excellent film I slightly prefered Avatar over it. Although I agree it did deserve a better reception than it got.

Aldro said:
riderz13371 said:
yo_john117 said:

HOLY SHIT look at ur sig and then avataInfamous 2 is the reason for the fungus prolly! The last remaining humans vs the conduits lol

Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch working together? Combining the open world aspect of inFamous with just the awesome epicness of Uncharted to make a new game...

green_sky said:

If they removed three things from MW2...Grenade launchers, One Man Army and Commando. It would be an amazing game. A true sequel to CoD 4. I don't even mind the new killstreaks...Just those 3 things. They give me nightmares at night. Soon as you start a match all you hear is noobtubes going off.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
riderz13371 said:
yo_john117 said:

I actually watched the Hurt Locker and whilst it was an excellent film I slightly prefered Avatar over it. Although I agree it did deserve a better reception than it got.

+1 Avatar was a far more enjoyable, visually impressive and entertaining film than Hurt Locker. Critics prefered Hurt Locker but the sales reflect Avatar was prefered by the mass audiences. The Hurt Locker was a War Propaganda film supported by Hollywood and the Military Complex. War Propaganda films glorifying an unpopular war are never going to get the commercial success they may deserve.

In regards to games the highly rated games by the critics do not necessarily get the sales the critics want them to achieve. The customers determine the sales success of the video games. Call of Duty games have sold more than any other game in the last 6 or 7 years, over 10 million copies but highly rated games like: Heavy Rain, The Orange Box, Bioshock, Portal 2 barely sell 2 million copies each.

I agree with almost all picks in the list but I missed some games like Halo 3.

Wagram said:
The lack of Dark Soul's in 2011 is disturbing. Therefore imo the entire list is fail.

Well Demon's Souls is better and won more awards in 2009.

riderz13371 said:
green_sky said:

If they removed three things from MW2...Grenade launchers, One Man Army and Commando. It would be an amazing game. A true sequel to CoD 4. I don't even mind the new killstreaks...Just those 3 things. They give me nightmares at night. Soon as you start a match all you hear is noobtubes going off.

I agree but i think we already went over that. Most of the core team got fired or left. They didn't get to balance the game that well. If you think about how many patches Black Ops 1 took to be functional. You will see my point. They could test those games extensively but they would always miss something. I do go back and play it from time to time. Just to keep it as a challenge. Trying to compete with never ending danger close noobtubes and killstreaks that numb the brain. Still can't negate how much value it offered and how good it looked for a game running at double the framerate of most games. 

Also had some of the best trailers ever including music from Hans Zimmer. 

Medal of Honour and Battlefield people are still trying to match the single player of MW1 and 2. IMO. 

ethomaz said:

I agree with almost all picks in the list but I missed some games like Halo 3.

Wagram said:
The lack of Dark Soul's in 2011 is disturbing. Therefore imo the entire list is fail.

Well Demon's Souls is better and won more awards in 2009.

While both games hold a special place for me. I prefer Dark Soul's out of the two.

Wagram said:
While both games hold a special place for me. I prefer Dark Soul's out of the two.

I liked Dark Souls too... it is great but it lacks atmosphere... maybe it's just because I played Demon's Souls first.