By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Sony save Crash Bandicoot?

Tagged games:

richardhutnik said:

Back in the day, Sony wanted an answer to Mario, and Crash met that.  What Crash did back in the day was a big deal.  Now it isn't.  Sony is position Sackboy as their answer to Mario.  I would say that the ship has sailed on Crash.

Think of it this way, what about a platformer in a coridor is of interest to you?  That is the heart of Crash and it worked well back in the day.

Nothing I've only played Crash 1, and that was recently since it was free on PS+.  Like I had said, I noticed that Crash was a sales beast back in the day, now it's become a forgotten franchise.  Just makes me sad that it's going to stay that way.

Around the Network

First thing first. Sony should focus on Vita, not some old IP a few hundred people knows about.

Galaki said:
First thing first. Sony should focus on Vita, not some old IP a few hundred people knows about.

The point of the thread went completely over your head didn't it Galaki?  I didn't say Sony should spend money and save Crash, but if Sony was given the reigns again, give the franchise back to Naughty Dog, can it become the beast it used to be?

darkknightkryta said:
Galaki said:

The point of the thread went completely over your head didn't it Galaki?  I didn't say Sony should spend money and save Crash, but if Sony was given the reigns again, give the franchise back to Naughty Dog, can it become the beast it used to be?

There's no doubt that a competent devs can revive a beloved franchise, but that just isn't a priority if I were Sony.

Galaki said:
darkknightkryta said:
Galaki said:

There's no doubt that a competent devs can revive a beloved franchise, but that just isn't a priority if I were Sony.

It being a priority has nothing to do with this thread.

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
richardhutnik said:

Back in the day, Sony wanted an answer to Mario, and Crash met that.  What Crash did back in the day was a big deal.  Now it isn't.  Sony is position Sackboy as their answer to Mario.  I would say that the ship has sailed on Crash.

Think of it this way, what about a platformer in a coridor is of interest to you?  That is the heart of Crash and it worked well back in the day.

Nothing I've only played Crash 1, and that was recently since it was free on PS+.  Like I had said, I noticed that Crash was a sales beast back in the day, now it's become a forgotten franchise.  Just makes me sad that it's going to stay that way.

Play style is now considered very dated.  Heck, it seems like Mario is the only one who has made a jump to 3D and kept going.  Even Sonic has had issues.  And Bonk (TG-16/PC-Engine) is in the past.  You also have Geck the Gecco (?) who is nowhere.  Rayman is still about though, but people lament the sales aren't there.  It seems like it is Mario for platformers or nothing these days.

richardhutnik said:

Play style is now considered very dated.  Heck, it seems like Mario is the only one who has made a jump to 3D and kept going.  Even Sonic has had issues.  And Bonk (TG-16/PC-Engine) is in the past.  You also have Geck the Gecco (?) who is nowhere.  Rayman is still about though, but people lament the sales aren't there.  It seems like it is Mario for platformers or nothing these days.

Even Ratchet and Clank is starting to get stale.  Maybe the days of platformers are over.

darkknightkryta said:
AndrewWK said:
Why did they sell him and Spyro anyway?

They had a partnership with Universal Studios gaming division, Universal actually owned Spyro and Crash.  Sony was just the publisher.  Universal eventually made Vivendi as their publishing arm and broke of from Sony, I think something like that.  Activision bought Vivendi.  @ryan, I don't think a Nintendo reboot is gonna help considering that didn't help before.

They didn't buy VIvendi. Activision merged with Vivendi's video game publishing arm (Vivendi games/Blizzard) which resulted in Activision becoming Activision-Blizzard and Vivendi owning 51% of Activision-Blizzard. So it would be closer to Vivendi buying Activision, though it was a merger not an acquisition.  

darkknightkryta said:
richardhutnik said:

Even Ratchet and Clank is starting to get stale.  Maybe the days of platformers are over.

Platforming for its own sake isn't a major platform.  It pretty much is just Mario.  What I see out of Ratchet and Clank now is a third-person shooter.  It has some platforming, but the focus is on the weapons, and characters.  Now, you do platforming with a lot of other things.