By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why does VGC get a bad rap?

I didnt know that anyone other than NDP didn't like VGChartz.

America = Best Gaming Console

Europe = Best Game Developers

Around the Network
Stever89 said:
I don't understand the big beef with neogaf, what exactly happened that made them hate us so much?
  This is a bad rap...  

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Osirus said:

Well I came here from another gaming site forum ,not any you mentioned, that claimed that VGC numbers are all guesswork and are not accurate. I came here and saw you guys had a big community so I thought I would ask.

Its definitely a fair question to ask. I think you will find that people don't mind it when someone questions the data, but only when they don't wait for an answer before making up their mind. A lot of people new to seeing this type of data make simple mistakes regarding NA vs US or WW vs NPD or NPD vs NA, etc...and occasionally folks have a hard time understanding the subtle differences between those things.

edit: Leo-j points out another common mistake folks make. Basically the only thing the big 3 (Nintendo, Sony, & MS) can track is how many units they ship to retailers, this is why their financial reports are understood implicitly to be "shipped to retail" numbers and not "sold to consumer" numbers.

Basically there are three "locations" that finished units travel to and from:

1) Shipped to Internal Warehousing (aka MS/Nintendo/Sony Warehouse)
2) Shipped to Retail/Sold to Retail
3) Sold to Consumer.

Sony used to count thier units based on #1, but now use method #2. Nintendo & MS have always (afaik) used #2. VGC tracks #3.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:

Its definitely a fair question to ask. I think you will find that people don't mind it when someone questions the data, but only when they don't wait for an answer before making up their mind. A lot of people new to seeing this type of data make simple mistakes regarding NA vs US or WW vs NPD or NPD vs NA, etc...and occasionally folks have a hard time understanding the subtle differences between those and things.

Yeah the posters on that site don't understand much I figured they where spreading FUD thats why had to come here for honest answers. 

I thought the Wii was the only one that had a bad rap

leo-j is probably gonna love this one, as he likes rap and hates the Wii lol

Around the Network

Because everytime Sony, MS or Nintendo announces console numbers (Sold to retailers) people come here and say the numbers are off.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

fazz said:

I thought the Wii was the only one that had a bad rap

leo-j is probably gonna love this one, as he likes rap and hates the Wii lol

Holy crap, that was hilarious, and I like the Wii.

Also, what the hell is neogaf? Is that like 4chan?

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I've seen a lot of people get confused about shipped to retailers and sold to consumers. People will quote the Microsoft PR saying they sold 17.7 million, and they think that's to people. So they see the 16.5 here and get angry because it's more than a million off.

It is proberbly due to the conservatism of some within the industry, who have a stake in established organisations such as NPD, and regard ioi and his upstart website as a genuine threat to the existing order.

I think its because VGChartz is little over a year old.. give it time and it will gain respectability. NPD is sending obvious plants to bad mouth this website on other gaming forums, and has sent ioi threatening e-mails. They have a lot to lose when it does considering they charge thousands of dollars for what we are getting for free.