By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Spencer: Halo 4 is Microsoft's most expensive game

Tagged games:

Halo 4 is the most expensive game Microsoft has ever made, Microsoft Studios head Phil Spencer tells Polygon. It is "absolutely" the most money Microsoft has ever spent developing a game, he says. "Nothing's even close."

Estimates for development costs of Halo 3 average out at $60 million, and that was including a massive marketing budget of about $30 million. Halo 3: ODST ended up bringing in more than $170 million in its first 24 hours on the market. Overall, Halo is a $3 billion franchise, Spencer says.

Around the Network

Puts things into perspective when you know successful the Halo 3 expansion was.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

So how much ?

100 milions ?

We were told this about 2 months ago I believe.

Saying 'the most expensive game for MS ever' but not giving us numbers is an dick thing to do :(.

Around the Network

Considering how well ODST did, wondering if Halo 4 will get a similar expansion in a year or two. I wouldn't be complaining if they did it in the same vein as ODST.

Article is wrong. Those numbers are for Halo 3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3#Reception

Considering they'll undoubtly hit 250M+ within 2 daya it really doesn't matter or suprise. :)

SecondWar said:
Considering how well ODST did, wondering if Halo 4 will get a similar expansion in a year or two. I wouldn't be complaining if they did it in the same vein as ODST.

It would be great if they did a game based on Kilo-Five. It would be a pure fan service to reference the Karan Travviss books.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I would estimate it to $80-100 million excluding marketing.