By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U will be sold at a loss

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-24/nintendo-cuts-forecast-on-lower-demand-for-3ds-stronger-yen.html

Annual sales of Nintendo’s flagship 3DS handheld player, introduced last year, will be 17.5 million units, 5.4 percent lower than previously estimated, the company said in a statementtoday. Nintendo also lowered its forecast for 3DS software sales 4.1 percent and said it will sell its new Wii U model at a loss.

Nintendo aims to sell 5.5 million Wii U consoles this fiscal year, it said in a statement today. The device will cost from 26,250 yen in Japan and $300 in the U.S., the company said last month. The machine will sell at a loss, Senior Managing Director Yoshihiro Mori said today at a press conference in Osaka.

“Manufacturing costs are expensive, and we priced the machine at a level customers would accept,” Iwata said at the press conference. “It’s important for us to develop a healthy business next fiscal year by combining sales of hardware and software.”

Nintendo copying Sony again.

Around the Network

It will be a small loss for sure, they'll make it back easily.

Must be a small loss.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

I doubt it wil be anywhere close to Sony's loss on the PS3. I expect that they will be very profitable this holiday, and not have a yearly loss this year.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Apparantly, the Wii U controller will retail at approx $150. This is not a good sign profit margin of the console itself. Although you never know with Nintendo.

http://kotaku.com/5942876/the-wii-us-controllers-are-really-expensive

Around the Network
Flanneryaug said:
I doubt it wil be anywhere close to Sony's loss on the PS3. I expect that they will be very profitable this holiday, and not have a yearly loss this year.

And this is based off what now???

maverick40 said:
Flanneryaug said:

And this is based off what now???

4th quarter or the holiday quarters are the most profitable for pretty much all companies.  Even the doomed sony made a decent amount from the Oct-Dec quarter last year.  But the Wii U will not contribute to any profitablity at nintendo until Nintendo changes that language.

Damn! That's a first for Nintendo!!! Just another evidence that PS4 won't be much stronger than WiiU

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I'm guessing precedence doesn't count for anything? Back to back Nintendo devices sold at losses, I'm sure that has never happened in its 123 year history.

DanneSandin said:
Damn! That's a first for Nintendo!!! Just another evidence that PS4 won't be much stronger than WiiU

People believe Sony can make a console at least 3x stronger than the WiiU at the same price.

I believe them.