By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The battle of the 16 bits

Lets discuss the technical capabilities of the 16 bit console.

We have

Super Famicom a.k.a Super Nintenod Entertainment System

SEGA Megdrive a.k.a. Genesis

PCEngine a.k.a TurboGraphx 16

(OMITTED FROM DISCUSSION) Neo Geo

Comparison

Name PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 Mega Drive/Genesis Super Famicom/Super Nintendo Entertainment System Neo Geo
Manufacturer Hudson Soft/NEC Sega Nintendo SNK
Console

Launch prices (USD) US$249.99 US$190.00 US$199.99 US$649.99 (Gold version)

US$399.99 (Silver version)

Release date
  • JP October 30, 1987
  • NA September 1, 1989
  • JP October 29, 1988
  • NA September 15, 1989
  • EU November 30, 1990
  • JP November 21, 1990
  • EU April 11, 1992
  • JP July 1, 1991
Media HuCard (card-shaped cartridge)

CD-ROM (Turbo CD add-on)

Cartridge

CD-ROM (Mega-CD add-on)
Data card (Power Base Converter add-on)

Cartridge

Magnetic disc (Japan only)[22]

Cartridge

Data card (Europe/Japan)[22]

Best-selling games Bonk's Adventure[23] Sonic the Hedgehog (15 million)[24] Super Mario World, 20 million (as of June 25, 2007)[25] Samurai Shodown
Backward compatibility No Sega Master System (using Power Base Converter) Game Boy (using Super Game Boy) No
Accessories (retail)
CPU HuC6280A (modified 65SC02)
1.79 or 7.16 MHz
Motorola 68000
7.67 MHz (7.61 MHz PAL)
Zilog Z80
3.58 MHz
Nintendo-custom 5A22
(based on 65C816)
3.58 MHz (3.55 MHz PAL)
Motorola 68000
12 MHz
Zilog Z80
4 MHz
Memory 8 KiB work RAM
64 KiB video RAM
64 KiB main RAM
64 KiB video RAM
8 KiB audio RAM
128 KiB main RAM
64 KiB video RAM
64 KiB audio RAM
64 KiB main RAM
74 KiB video RAM
2 KiB audio RAM

Its game time.

Around the Network

Nintendo wins.

/thread.

SEGA Genesis was ahead of it's time, 2 years ahead of the game with a price that was good to go.

Loved SMS, SEGA-CD, and 32X addons.  My system was a tower but it was for the good of gaming....

This is what I use now to play my Genesis Games, when not using my smartphone:

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

sega4life said:

SEGA Genesis was ahead of it's time, 2 years ahead of the game with a price that was good to go.

Loved SMS, SEGA-CD, and 32X addons.  My system was a tower but it was for the good of gaming....

This is what I use now to play my Genesis Games, when not using my smartphone:

I always wanted the SEGA CD but was never able to afford one, being it that I was 9 years old and all that.

I still say the six button was the best core button layout.

I can understand why Neo Geo was omitted from this thread. It's was considered a 24-Bit console--though it was really a juiced up 16-Bit console (Fun fact: The Turbo Grafx-16 isn't 16-bit, either. It's a high end 8-bit console). That's fine. This is your thread.

What I don't get is how, sometimes I say "The most powerful console has NEVER won a generation" and people always say "Super Nintendo won because Neo Geo doesn't count". I can see why you wouldn't compare the two consoles in terms of power but it came out during the same gen and it didn't win! Just like how PS3, Xbox 1 (or Gamecube if you're one of THOSE people), N64, Turbo-Xpress, Atari Lynx, Sega Master system, etc. never won their gen. There's no argument!

Around the Network

SNES had the best sound chip and better colour depth, technically the Mega Drive had a faster CPU but SNES could have extra chips in the carts which allowed games to surpass the Mega Drive. With the CD and 32X add-ons the Mega Drive was the most powerful system on paper out of the 4 but no one brought them so no one cares.

No one brought the others so again no one cares.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Genesis had blast processing. SNES won in virtually every other category.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Genesis was great.

SNES was godly.

And Neogeo, while just a footnote, made games that are still graphics kings to this day for me.

Doesn't CDI count? It was released in 1991 like SNES in NA

It created great gems such as this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4SLjLen7-c&feature=related

It has by far the best custcenes in any game ever created. 

The Genesis/Megadrive was more capable in hardware from the onset. And Sega did all they could to keep that position over the SNES.

But unfortunately for Sega, the SNES ended up being the more versatile platform which allow 3rd parties to really push the system way beyond what was believed the system could do.

Couple that with a massive increase in SNES sales during the time Sega expected to dominate

The rEVOLution is not being televised