By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where are the Wii U RPGs?

platformmaster918 said:
Pretty sure MH3 covers that front.

MH3 is one game. I want many.

Around the Network
lilbroex said:
platformmaster918 said:
Pretty sure MH3 covers that front.

MH3 is one game. I want many.

It's the launch of the system and some people here have said Dragon Quest X which is pretty huge.  If it's successful and as easy-to-program-for as third parties have made it out to be then they will be coming.  It's not a genre that has a lot of console releases anymore outside of Japan so I wouldn't be expecting them to be particularly voluminous.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

if you want JRPG's Best place is on a handheld. If you want WRPG's, the best place is Xbox/PC.

There's still plenty of good ones, just JRPG's seem to do best on handhelds in japan.

ishiki said:
if you want JRPG's Best place is on a handheld. If you want WRPG's, the best place is Xbox/PC.

I refuse to refer to games as JRPG and WRPG. There are too many genre's to use those classicfations. I still have no idea where that trend came from.

lilbroex said:
ishiki said:

I refuse to refer to games as JRPG and WRPG. There are too many genre's to use those classicfations. I still have no idea where that trend came from.

use deductive skills, unless you lack them (which is possible, or you're a jack ass). But my I refuse to accept the general definition of Jackass, and my definition is different.

If you want RPG's made from the west, nintendo consoles have always had an extremely crappy amount even in the SNES days. If you want RPG's made from the east, handhelds have been the best place for them them the past generation).

Around the Network
ishiki said:
lilbroex said:
ishiki said:

use deductive skills, unless you lack them (which is possible, or you're a jack ass). But my I refuse to accept the general definition of Jackass, and my definition is different.

If you want RPG's made from the west, nintendo consoles have always had an extremely crappy amount even in the SNES days. If you want RPG's made from the east, handhelds have been the best place for them them the past generation).

I have no national, linguical or racial bias, so I do not see games in such a way.

When I break rpgs into categories nationality never comes into question.

There are: turn-based rpgs, action rpgs, console rpgs, adventure-rpgs, strategy-rpgs, first person-rpg, MMORPGs, dungeon-crawlerrpgs, board game style rpgs, simulation-rpg. Then there are the various subcategories to those.

To me, WRPG and JRPG mean nothing. I mean, what exactly are they supposed to be identiying? What is supposed to come into my head when I heard WRPG and JRPG? What is the purpose of distinguishing western from japanese? The only differences are usually in the plot and art style. I only care that a plot is original and and deep, not which group of people made it. I would not limit genres by those two things because those same ranges exist in all genres from platformers to racing.

Saying JRPG and WRPG makes no sense to me. There are more accurate and less "bigoted sounding" ways to describe the games. Those abbreviations rub me the wrong way.

lilbroex said:
ishiki said:
lilbroex said:
ishiki said:

I have no national, linguical or racial bias, so I do not see games in such a way.

When I break rpgs into categories nationality never comes into question.

There are: turn-based rpgs, action rpgs, console rpgs, adventure-rpgs, strategy-rpgs, first person-rpg, MMORPGs, dungeon-crawlerrpgs, board game style rpgs, simulation-rpg. Then there are the various subcategories to those.

To me, WRPG and JRPG mean nothing. I mean, what exactly are they supposed to be identiying? What is supposed to come into my head when I heard WRPG and JRPG? What is the purpose of distinguishing western from japanese? The only differences are usually in the plot and art style. I only care that a plot is original and and deep, not which group of people made it. I would not limit genres by those two things because those same ranges exist in all genres from platformers to racing.

Saying JRPG and WRPG makes no sense to me.There are more accurate ways to describe the games.

Ofcourse theres a more exact way to describe things. But that involves saying a paragraph everytime you bring down the topic. It's like someone asking which type of music do you like?

If someone says rock, they're generalizing, to answer the question succinctly, instead of running their mouth off. When no one gives a two shits that they like progressive-rock with jazz elements etc. And if they do they'll ask a follow question.

If you want RPG's, the wii-u is not the best platform for any type of RPG :).

ishiki said:

well if you want RPG's, the wii is not the best platform for any type of RPG :).

The Wii had a quite a large amount of RPGS:

I suppose the 3 harvest moon games can kinda be considered RPGs

Rune Factory Frontier

Rune Factory Oceans

Arc Rise Fantasia(blegh)

Opoona

Baroque

Alien Syndrome

Chocobo Dungeon(one of the better ones)

Cyrstal Chonricles-Echoes of Time, Crystal Bears, My Life as a Little King, Dark something something

Fragile

Xenoblade

The Last Story

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1,2

Monster  Hunter G, Tri

Pokemon Battle Revolution

Shiren the Wonder

Oboro Muramasa

Takt of Magic

Tales of Graces

Tales of Symphonia 2

Spectrobes Origins

Vahalla Knights

Pandora's Tower

Dokapon Kingdom

Earth Seeker

Stone Keeper

Twlight Princess

Skyward Sword

Dragon Quest Swords

Zangeki no Reginleiv(This is the Wii's greatest technical achievement)

and a good bit of other ones in Wiiware

lilbroex said:
ishiki said:

well if you want RPG's, the wii is not the best platform for any type of RPG :).

Rune Factory Frontier

Rune Factory Oceans

Arc Rise Fantasia(blegh)

Opoona

Baroque

Alien Syndrome

Cyrstal Chonricles-Echoes of Time, Crystal Bears, My Life as a Little King, Dark something something

Fragile

Xenoblade

The Last Story

Monster  Hunter G, Tri

Shiren the Wonder

Oboro Muramasa

Takt of Magic

Tales of Graces

Tales of Symphonia 2

Spectrobes Origins

Vahalla Knights

Pandora's Tower

Dokapon Kingdom

Earth Seeker

Stone Keeper

Twlight Princess

Skyward Sword

and a good bit of other ones in Wiiware

and I can play them all for free on my PC ^_~

ishiki said:
lilbroex said:
ishiki said:

Rune Factory Frontier

Rune Factory Oceans

Arc Rise Fantasia(blegh)

Opoona

Baroque

Alien Syndrome

Fragile

Xenoblade

The Last Story

Monster  Hunter G, Tri

Shiren the Wonder

Oboro Muramasa

Takt of Magic

Tales of Graces

Tales of Symphonia 2

Spectrobes Origins