By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are The Next-Gen Consoles Arriving Too Soon?

teigaga said:
Normando said:
Well, there are other things to consider when talking about how much longer the consoles should be used. For instance, the disk drive in the PS3 is really too slow. It might have the power to last another 5 years but load times will just get worse as it ages. On the Xbox side, Microsoft made the mistake of using dvds which means you're already seeing 2 and 3 disk games. Five years later you could be buying 4 or 5 or even 6 disk games as they continue to grow.

I think the big advantage to new consoles is the headroom it would give developers to work with and allow them just that extra push. It could allow for things like an increase in the size of multiplayer games, or how realistic the physics can be.

I won't say that the current consoles are outdated, but I also won't say that a 2013 release of the new consoles would be too soon.

Microsoft using DVD's on 360 was not a mistake. A blu ray drive would have added $200 to launch of the 360 and it would have been in a similar position to PS3 in terms incuring crazy loses on each system sold. The limits of the DVD, have only really began to be felt on regular basis in the last year, before its was jus the occasssional JRPG. 

Around the Network

I don't think its too soon seeing as the ps4 and 720 haven't even been announced yet. From a technical perspective we've yet to see what they can do so we cannot dismiss the improvements they've in regards to graphics, we don't know of any innovations they intend to include with the systems either.

In regards to the current systems not causing bottle necks in development, I think its more a case of them being restrictive.

When people speak of the arrival of next-gen systems being too soon in the sense of current system still being relevant, I don't think they look at it in a realistic sense. They act as if the minute 720 arrives the 360 will receive no more games and they're now obliged to throw their current systems out the window. Only a small minority of people buy consoles in their 1st year, I'm sure by 2014/2015 people will be happy to update.

PlaystaionGamer said:
see I'm pretty happy with the PS3 and i really do feel it has life left in it.. but i would like a new gen.. i dunno, I'm very torn. until i see what Ps4 and Xbox3 can do i won't know for sure! but if its games that look like UE4 il be disappointed i actually want a big leap

A lot of people are doubting whether we will see a big leap but I see no reason why we won't.

If anyone has a half-decent PC rig, in terms of power, we're well overdue. This isn't just about visuals either, but physics, AI and other elements that could impact game mechanics.

Looking at sales, we're also definitely overdue. The next gen can't start soon enough.

their too late!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Overdue tbh it's been 7 years after all.

When is the next gen coming???

2013 is too soon.
2014 is the right time.
2015 is too late.

Well people who were clamoring for next gen successors to the HD twins to be released within this past year would have been sorely disappointed, as the PS4 and 720 would be barely more powerful than what the Wii U is currently offering. Ooooo, we can spend another $400-$500 to play the exact same games with the exact same features we have access to now like AC3 and BF3, but in full 1080p! Wow!!!

Yeah, no... I'd rather they hold off as long as they can to give us machines that are not only a significant leap over their predecessors in terms pf power and visuals, but won't cost an arm and a leg just because it's "bleeding edge" technology.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

i remember when we got the newest console and waited 5 years till the next gen, so far this gen has gone on way too long and as a result i now have a gaming PC, 7 years ago i stopped trying to build a gaming PC when the 360 launched as it had games that could rival those on the PC but today they just pale in comparison.

console hardware is outdated, limited and its clearly obvious that a new gen is needed, you can talk about graphics all day long but the technical restrictions that current consoles have in terms of depth and atmosphere are just not good enough for todays standards especially when you compare them side by side against a modern gaming PC.

would you want to play another GTA but with limited map sizes due to hardware restrictions or would you actually like it to be 5 times bigger than GTA4!

3 or 4 years ago PC gaming was almost no longer relevant however now it is relevant again cause current consoles are out dated, basic PC gaming hardware is getting cheaper all the time and with CPU manufactures like AMD with their APU, entry level PC gaming is almost as cheap as buying a launch console but with current generation PC hardware and no these PC systems are not massive towers but nice and compact systems that are no bigger than the first PS3's PC gaming will only get more popular the longer the next gen is delayed.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

r3tr0gam3r1337 said:
i remember when we got the newest console and waited 5 years till the next gen, so far this gen has gone on way too long and as a result i now have a gaming PC, 7 years ago i stopped trying to build a gaming PC when the 360 launched as it had games that could rival those on the PC but today they just pale in comparison.

console hardware is outdated, limited and its clearly obvious that a new gen is needed, you can talk about graphics all day long but the technical restrictions that current consoles have in terms of depth and atmosphere are just not good enough for todays standards especially when you compare them side by side against a modern gaming PC.

would you want to play another GTA but with limited map sizes due to hardware restrictions or would you actually like it to be 5 times bigger than GTA4!

3 or 4 years ago PC gaming was almost no longer relevant however now it is relevant again cause current consoles are out dated, basic PC gaming hardware is getting cheaper all the time and with CPU manufactures like AMD with their APU, entry level PC gaming is almost as cheap as buying a launch console but with current generation PC hardware and no these PC systems are not massive towers but nice and compact systems that are no bigger than the first PS3's PC gaming will only get more popular the longer the next gen is delayed.

People say this about PC every 2-3 years after a console gen starts but everytime the PC gaming scene stays strong and ends the generation stronger.