By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MCV: Wii U Is A Stopgap System, Real Successor Is Still To Come

that sounds like a trypical hater statement "its less powerfull than current gen systems" lol that web fanboyism is pretty hard, renctly reggie said that the wii u will have a long life dont you remember? which automatically means = this article is BS

Around the Network
Totaldemon said:
that sounds like a trypical hater statement "its less powerfull than current gen systems" lol that web fanboyism is pretty hard, renctly reggie said that the wii u will have a long life dont you remember? which automatically means = this article is BS

thats rigth, and iwata say wii was never intended to have a long life cycle, and it manage to survive  6 years, so the argument in the article IS BULL S***

34 years playing games.

Soundwave said:
I think the next wave of consoles is honestly going to be the end in a lot of ways of the traditional console.

I don't see a pressing need to go beyond what PS4/720 are likely to bring to the table which will start to blur the line between video games and CGI.

As for Nintendo, long term, I think their next hardware is going to merge their handheld and console into one product line. Wii U is the first step towards that, eventually the "console box" will be phased out entirely and the console itself will just be inside the tablet controller.

Do you really think Nintendo would want to do that? combine their handhelds and consoles? then they only get to sell one system, instead of two

WTF???

TheKingofRedLions said:
Soundwave said:
I think the next wave of consoles is honestly going to be the end in a lot of ways of the traditional console.

I don't see a pressing need to go beyond what PS4/720 are likely to bring to the table which will start to blur the line between video games and CGI.

As for Nintendo, long term, I think their next hardware is going to merge their handheld and console into one product line. Wii U is the first step towards that, eventually the "console box" will be phased out entirely and the console itself will just be inside the tablet controller.

Do you really think Nintendo would want to do that? combine their handhelds and consoles? then they only get to sell one system, instead of two

With the way the market is changing (smartphones and tablets rattling the handheld sector and taking away a lot of the Wii's casual audience too), I think eventually they won't have much of a choice. It would cut down on R&D too and allow their dev teams to focus on one platform rather than be scattered around on two, which causes droughts.

Around the Network

Nintendo could try an excuse like that for years and no one would buy it.
DS was presented as a 3rd pillar, not as a successor to DS - as Wii U is being presented as a successor. That`s why i don`t really understand the DS reference.

Now, wouldn`t it be funny if Nintendo presented a Nintendo tablet as a 3rd pillar? Especially designed to appeal to that market while making it work together with Wii U and 3DS - and follow-up? The tablet would allow to play all games bought on 3DS and Wii U without buying a new copy and still work as a regular tablet.
I too can make wild predictions!

technically the WiiU isnt "next gen" when it comes to power. and who ever wants argue saying its stronger than PS3 and 360 just remember those are over half a decade old machines. but as far the article goes its complete rubbish, nintendo arent gonna drop the wiiU after "just 3 years" you know probably when the console is most profitable as it has a big install base to sell software and manufacturing costs are cheap by that time. who ever wrote this article is a complete idiot.

You don't create a $350 "stop gap" system

If anything, Wii is more of a stopgap than Wii U is. Nintendo even admitted that motion controls were first considered (in fact, implemented?) for Gamecube. Although, I agree. Wii U is somewhat of a stopgap but for all intents and purposes, it is a next-gen in Nintendo's handbook.

I honestly wouldn't mind Nintendo switching to 4/5 year console cycles.

The Wii very obviously wasn't meant to go 6 years, the support for the last two years has been really pathetic.

It's better to go to the gym and work out hard for 45-60 minutes than be the person that stays at the gym for an hour and a half, half-assing it and chatting other people up half the time.