By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2nd debate, who won? Obama or Romney?

Who won the 2nd debate?

President Barack Obama 299 57.72%

Governor MItt Romney 149 28.76%

Nobody/tie 70 13.51%

Total:518

Favorite moment of the night:

Romney: Mr. President have you looked at your "pension"?

Obama: no I haven't looked at my "pension" but its not as big as yours.

So Obama admits his "pension" isn't as big as Romney's.

And his wife even commented before the debate...

Michelle Obama: the president dosnt have a big "ego".

....the cat is out of the bag. UH O!

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
I don't know the full facts about WHY he changed his stance, and nobody here does, but I'm not going to be convinced that he didn't say it. 

How about because just a week prior at the DNC they spiked the Osama football over and over and over again? When your every other sentence is "Al-Qaeda is on the ropes" and the very next week Al-Qaeda kills a US ambassador for the first time in three decades, it's easy to see why you'd rather everyone believe that it was just some protest over a stupid video that no one had seen that just got a little out of hand.

fordy - I thought people wanted Obama to address it as a terrorist attack because there was clear evidence from the begining that it was one... untill the administration decided to blame a video, thats when people started saying ...welllll... but then it turns out the video had nothing to do with it.

the_dengle said:
Kasz216 said:

the CBS fact check says that he refrenced acts of terror directly in his speech but never called said attack an act of terror... or terroism... and this is further backed up by the fact that he specifically said it wasn't terroism later on.

We've seen the Rose Garden transcript. Can someone show me now a transcript of Obama outright stating that the attack was not an act of terrorism?

Edit: Actually, I've found a very useful page. And what this page shows me is that the Obama administration danced around the issue a bit, wanting to wait for their investigation to lead to a conclusion before making one on their own. And they came to the conclusion that it was a terrorist attack much more quickly than Romney suggested.

The Obama administration came to that quicker then Obama hismelf. Who kept refrencing it as a random protest attack until after he did.  Check out the Washington Post timeline.

Look, the attack would have been an act of terrorism whether it was a coordinated, premeditated assassination or an act of semi-spontaneous violence centered around an organized rally.

There's too much loading going on behind the meaning of the word "terror," here.

That said, Obama should have hammered on the fact that Republicans have been starving the State Department of essential funds to help prevent just this sort of thing.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I remember watching a jon stewart clip blasting the obama administration over this libya issue. It came from Obama and another man saying it was from a video. Then the man said it was a terrorist attack and not from the video. However Obama continued saying it was from the video even after that man confirmed it was a terrorist attack.

Mr Khan said:
Look, the attack would have been an act of terrorism whether it was a coordinated, premeditated assassination or an act of semi-spontaneous violence centered around an organized rally.

There's too much loading going on behind the meaning of the word "terror," here.

That said, Obama should have hammered on the fact that Republicans have been starving the State Department of essential funds to help prevent just this sort of thing.

Like I mentioned in the thread you specifically created about that... it wouldn't work, because Romney would then just point out how much security is wasted in countries with competent defense.

Also... I wouldn't say killing people in a riot is an act of terroism.

I mean... if the Chinese ambassador to the US is in New York... and some people are protesting chinese jobs overseas and a riot happens, that eventually leads to the death of the chinese ambassador...

I don't think anybody would consider that terrorism.

At least I wouldn't.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

Like I mentioned in the thread you specifically created about that... it wouldn't work, because Romney would then just point out how much security is wasted in countries with competent defense.

I mean... if the Chinese ambassador to the US is in New York... and some people are protesting chinese jobs overseas and a riot happens, that eventually leads to the death of the chinese ambassador...

At least I wouldn't.

I would. Those people clearly came with the intention to start shit up, and if it gets violent, then it moves into the realm of terrorism.

It's like, second-degree terrorism. Not planned or plotted, but still violence with the intent to send a message of some sort, which is terrorism.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

At least I wouldn't.

People in China would.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Great debate. It got a lot better in the second half. Both candidates felt more open to talk to each other instead of restating their slogans. I loved when Romney had to be asked to sit down and when Obama would interrupt people saying it isn't cool to interrupt. Also loved the drilling permits cat fight.