By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Developer porting AAA Square Enix game to Wii U

Mass Effect 3 Wii U dev porting AAA Square Enix title to the console

October 14th, 2012 Posted in News, Posted by Valay, Wii U | No Comments »

You may know Straight Right as the developer behind Mass Effect 3 on Wii U – but that isn’t the only project the studio is working on.

Direct from the LinkedIn profile of technical project manager Chris Slater, Straight Right is “porting a triple-A Square Enix game to the yet-to-be-released Wii U platform.”

Straight Right CEO Tom Crago recently teased a “big game in a well known franchise that will be released in 2013.” This has to be the Square Enix project, right?

So what can it be? Tomb Raider immediately comes to mind, but Crystal Dynamics global brand director Karl Stewart shut down the idea a few months back. Maybe something changed since January?

If not Tomb Raider, perhaps it’ll be a port of an older title… there are quite a few possibilities!

Source, Via

Hmm, what can it be?

Tomb Raider is the more obvious choice... in fact, given the hints it's almost confirmed, TBH

Around the Network

Maybe it's Final Fantasy Versus XIII :P

But I guess the "will be released in 2013" negates that option...

spurgeonryan said:
Recently a lot of devs have been changing their minds. I highly expect Tomb Raider to come to Wii U like other Nintendo systems. They are nervous about sales. So they will bring it over.

Sleeping Dogs could come as well. But that old of port will need something extra.

I'm actually more impressed that another Square-Enix title is coming to WiiU.  This is just one step closer to getting a real FF on WiiU.

Which developers have been changing their minds?

BTW, if this is what Straight Edge can do, then somebody get them to port MGS and CV to WiiU, too!

hmm I don't know if I want Tomb Raider anymore.. didn't people say its not as good as it looks?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

JTurner82 said:
spurgeonryan said:
Recently a lot of devs have been changing their minds. I highly expect Tomb Raider to come to Wii U like other Nintendo systems. They are nervous about sales. So they will bring it over.

Sleeping Dogs could come as well. But that old of port will need something extra.

I'm actually more impressed that another Square-Enix title is coming to WiiU.  This is just one step closer to getting a real FF on WiiU.

BTW, if this is what Straight Edge can do, then somebody get them to port MGS and CV to WiiU, too!

Another? What "other" there is?

Around the Network
VicViper said:
JTurner82 said:
spurgeonryan said:

Another? What "other" there is?

Sorry, I meant another title that Square-Enix has, referring to the Straight Edge port of it.

not FF 13 please.

Sleeping Dogs would be nice.

Japanese games are probably (like 99%) ported by japanese devs.

This won't be Final Fantasy or... Final Fantasy or even... Final Fantasy... damn! jap square doesn't make anthing other than FF for consoles anymore?

Hitman or Tomb Raider. Sleeping Dogs did'nt sell enough for them to want to make a port on a other console months later.

Also maybe FF13 Lightning Returns... Altho the fact that the previous 2 games were not on a Ninty console makes me doubt it... But who knows, EA did announce ME3 on the system, same for Arkham City and Assasin's Creed3 so it's possible.

In a totaly dream world, Versus13 lololol

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Final Fantasy XIII-3 Wii U exclusive now.