By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [Opinion] Why Sony Should Exit The Console Hardware Business

VGKing said:
No, Sony leaving the hardware business WOULD NOT benefit gamers. There is a reason I stuck with PS3 this generation.

1a. I don't like Microsofts business practices.
b. They are new at making hardware, hence the RROD epidemic.

2a. I'm not too fond of Nintendo. In fact they are simply too Japanese for my taste.(Keep in mind that I am a big fan of anime)
b. Nintendo makes "good enough" hardware marketed through gimmicky controls.
c. Their focus is clearly on kids and families which leads them to make stupid decision like Friend Codes.

So why do I support Sony?
1. They make amazing state-of-the=art hardware.
2. They have the amazing 1st party studios to show it off.
3. They care about the gamer. Free PSN being a prime example.(Free online gaming is a RIGHT, not a privilege)

Anyway if you look at the sales charts, the highest selling games on PS3 are actually 3rd party. If Sony didn't make the hardware they publish their games on, they would make a lot less money. I'm not even mentioning the fact that Microsoft and Nintendo are not going to play nice with Sony if they ever became multiplatform. Sony would get crushed. A game like Uncharted would never sell on a Nintendo console, and a game like Killzone would be overshadowed by Halo.

Clearly you started gaming this gen as your Nintendo points 1b, 2c and Sony point 1 are laughable at best.

Prior PS3, Nintendo made the state of the art hardware comparted to playsation, but where did that get them?

Now onto your Killzone comment, if it is overshadowed by Halo, then natrually put it on a Nintendo platform as it lacks FPS atm. Uncharted would also do well if it was exclusive to any platform.The fact is if Sony pulled ou tof the hardware race tomorrow and Uncharted come out on a next gen system, the Uncharted fans would follow it. Hell people follow franchises even when they switch consoles. Look at FInal Fantasy for example when it went from SNES to PS1.

Finally your Micrososft 1b comment is stupid as Sony suffered the same when they entered the console race. Now lets look at some personal facts, I have has 4 x PS1 and 5 x PS2 due to hardware failure. Currently I have had 2 x PS3s (first one was dead in the first week). Also the fact that Micrososft will be releasing their third console means they should have some expeirence under their belt now, so this point is rather moot. Now my prediction for next gen is that we will probably see even more failures, as technoogy is getting more complex everyday, so it is to be expected.

Around the Network

They should all exit the console business. Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony all don't actually know what they're doing. Consoles are on the way out and none of them actually have an answer to the fundamental question which is 'what will make consoles relevant?'.

Tease.

So you're calling India a 3rd world country? Saorry to break it to ya a**hole, but India is the world's 2nd fastest growing economy right after China, and also its currently the world's 11th biggest economy. So do research before you say anything, you dumba**.

User has been moderated for this post ~Barozi

RolStoppable said:
Squilliam said:
They should all exit the console business. Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony all don't actually know what they're doing. Consoles are on the way out and none of them actually have an answer to the fundamental question which is 'what will make consoles relevant?'.

Their answer seems to be "anything but games", so I kinda agree.

Because the games don't work anymore. The console companies all struggle to bring something to the market which is in the end meaningless, technological advancement or increased complexity in order to satisfy basic wants. Nintendo know what is wrong but they cannot help but continue anyway, the other two are oblivious. There is no difference between the person who knows what to do and didn't do it and the person who didn't know what to do. Nintendo are the same as Microsoft and Sony because of this reason.

Tease.

double post

Around the Network

Sony should stay in because.. well apple would enter and ruin everything

why are consoles irrelevant or will be,i play games physical/digital,watch movies physical/digital,catch up tv on my console,is this all going to end or be replaced very soon with something else or am i just a dinosaur or something,i prefer plugging in a console than computers for easy hook to the telly

Above & Beyond

Chark said:
Ji99saw said:

No, that tells me that they would do anything to get the upper hand on Microsoft and XBL and considering XBL is bigger than PSN even with a subscription model tells me they failed but are far too deep in the gen to start charging so they go the middle route which is PS+ in order to monetize it. Free to play games come out everyday and they are free not because they care about consumers but because they have a better chance of competing and getting a bigger consumer base to charge them later

Do you have an example of a company doing that?

Are you serious?

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

Ji99saw said:
Chark said:
Ji99saw said:

No, that tells me that they would do anything to get the upper hand on Microsoft and XBL and considering XBL is bigger than PSN even with a subscription model tells me they failed but are far too deep in the gen to start charging so they go the middle route which is PS+ in order to monetize it. Free to play games come out everyday and they are free not because they care about consumers but because they have a better chance of competing and getting a bigger consumer base to charge them later

Do you have an example of a company doing that?

Are you serious?

Very. Be specific and don't stretch qualifiers.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

this sound's much like sega with the dreamcast apart from sony selling 64 million more consoles, i doubt sony will pull out of the market.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.