By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [Opinion] Why Sony Should Exit The Console Hardware Business

No, they should leave just about everything else they are in. Console hardware is one of the few things they have a chance of staying relevant in.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network

What? Sony has a profitable business sector? Kill it with fire!

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

So good bye games

Wait what, so Sony going multiplatform will force EA and Activision to make more original games?
Bwaahahahhahaaaa.

Less competition is never a good thing in a commercial setting. A lot of games survive because they are only available on a certain platform and therefore do not have to compete with similar games only available on another platform.

"Is it high end hardware?"
Yes

"Is it Blu-Ray?"
Depends if I'm about to watch a movie

"Oh, I know, it’s 3D gaming, isn’t it?"
Depends if I'm in the mood for it kind of like a 3D movie

"Come on, who am I kidding? It’s obviously none of these things."
Oh...good thing you know what I'm thinking.

Granted that isn't the crux of his argument at all, but when it starts out in such an assumptive manner I don't think I can be bothered taking it seriously. If Sony's IPs were so iconic PSABR pre-orders wouldn't be dead in the water. Also I think looking at SEGA as a publisher and developer, Sony would want to avert that disaster, SEGA's quality in games has undoubtedly declined since the Dreamcast.

Around the Network

if Sony left the industry many companies would enter in a race for the hole they would leave, it would be interesting to watch, but i prefer SonyCE were it is......i would prefer Msoft leaving

pezus said:

This article is quite funny in light of recent sales numbers...

You are aware that this week's numbers are in no way a good indicator right? They launched a new model of the PS3 and for some reasons europeans jumped on it like crazy. These numbers are only because of the PS slim slim and that in a week or 2 they will go back to normal.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

I've read the article twice now and...I think the biggest problem is I don't think I'm able to figure out what he's getting at. Sure, the games would sell if they were all made multi-platform, but I can't really see them making as much money as would offset the loss of hardware income. I mean, even thinking about that doesn't make a tonne of sense, especially with the Super Slim and what I imagine is a better margin for the PS3.

Is he trying to say that if Sony cut hardware out of the mix, it'd somehow make the company profitable again directly through games? Cause, if so, that's one of the most bizarre things I've heard in a while.

Chark said:
What? Sony has a profitable business sector? Kill it with fire!

He doesnt want to kill Sony's gaming sector, only it's hardware sector. 

Sony's gaming division is profitable but not because of it's hardware sales, I dont know the numbers but I would'nt be surprised that if they stoped all hardware and focus on shovelware now PC/Xbox/Wii U/mobile their gaming division would do more profits. 

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Honestly, the first thing I think of when I hear "Playstation" is hardware. There isn't a single character that comes to mind, and honestly there are no 'iconic' PS characters to me. All Sony has in the games business is console and accessory manufacturing, and if they lose that then the Playstation brand is dead. After all, their software is under the label of SCE, not Playstation.