By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [Opinion] Why Sony Should Exit The Console Hardware Business

pezus said:
Cobretti2 said:
Metrium said:
pezus said:

This article is quite funny in light of recent sales numbers...

You are aware that this week's numbers are in no way a good indicator right? They launched a new model of the PS3 and for some reasons europeans jumped on it like crazy. These numbers are only because of the PS slim slim and that in a week or 2 they will go back to normal.

don't forget that hardware sales does not equal profit.

PS3 sold millions at launch and it LOST Sony money. Sony makes its money from software sales, 

My personal view:

It would be nice to see Sony publish software and drop the hardware race, However like others have said it would leave a void. Sadly I can see that void being filled by Apple. If that happesn gaming will be ruined forever as all the apple sheep will flock to the overpriced apple product.

The point was that it's pretty much a given they profit from hardware sales now. Stopping that right after they started profiting is such an incredibly dumb idea.

Yes they are profiting from hardware NOW with the PS3. And offcaurse they will keep on selling PS3s. But will we be able to say the same thing with the PS4? Will it be sold at profits on day 1? Or will it bleed money for 2 or 3 years like the PS3 did. Will they be able to lose money for a new console the same way they were able to afford back in 2007? And if even the ps4 is sold at profits day 1, how many years will it take to cut even with all the R&D (# that will be way worst if its sold at a loss). Offcaurse Sony already have an idea on what they will do next gen and the R&D already started if they are planning on launching a PS4. No one is suggering that they kill the now profitable PS3 but they are suggering that they should not launch a ps4.

But to be honest, I'm not sure Sony wants or even can to go thru all of this again, they are probably looking at the Vita's launch that had a not easy launch and still struggling today, they are probably looking at the utter failure of the pspgo and they remember the PS3's launch. One thing is certain is that they are rly not looking forward to the day they have to launch the PS4 but saddly they will probably still do it by pure ego. I would'nt be surprised that they try to milk the PS3 as long as they can in order to move away the day that they have no choice to switch gen as far as they can. I see no possible scenario where Sony announces a PS4 at E3 for fall 2013, I'm sure they will be the last to switch gen and that it won't be before 2014 at the very least.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Around the Network
Metrium said:

(..)

But to be honest, I'm not sure Sony wants or even can to go thru all of this again, they are probably looking at the Vita's launch that had a not easy launch and still struggling today, they are probably looking at the utter failure of the pspgo and they remember the PS3's launch. One thing is certain is that they are rly not looking forward to the day they have to launch the PS4 but saddly they will probably still do it by pure ego. I would'nt be surprised that they try to milk the PS3 as long as they can in order to move away the day that they have no choice to switch gen as far as they can. I see no possible scenario where Sony announces a PS4 at E3 for fall 2013, I'm sure they will be the last to switch gen and that it won't be before 2014 at the very least.

This got me thinking this whole situation is eerily similar to Sega's demise. In order of appearance;

• Failed 'upgrades' of existing consoles: PSPgo vs. SegaCD and 32X
  • Losing a lot of money on R&D and costly hardware that turns out to be practically impossible to win back: PS3 vs. Saturn
  • Newer hardware selling a fraction of the old: PS2 > PS3 & PSP > PSV vs. GEN > SAT & GG > NMD
  • Slow selling hardware: PSVita vs. Saturn and Nomad
  • Dwindling confidence in the brand: Sony's all-time low stock price and shrinking marketshare vs. Sega's losing customer confidence and lack of leadership
All that remains is reluctantly releasing yet again new hardware in the same mindset as the old: PS3 > PS4 vs. SAT > DC. At least Sony is still putting out better numbers than Sega did, even relatively speaking, but I hope they will be able to steer themselves to clear waters like Nintendo did. For those thinking I'm being sarcastic or whatever, this is all legitimite concern. Still...

Will the PS3 prove to be Sony's Saturn?

pezus said:
Metrium said:

Yes they are profiting from hardware NOW with the PS3. And offcaurse they will keep on selling PS3s. But will we be able to say the same thing with the PS4? Will it be sold at profits on day 1? Or will it bleed money for 2 or 3 years like the PS3 did. Will they be able to lose money for a new console the same way they were able to afford back in 2007? And if even the ps4 is sold at profits day 1, how many years will it take to cut even with all the R&D (# that will be way worst if its sold at a loss). Offcaurse Sony already have an idea on what they will do next gen and the R&D already started if they are planning on launching a PS4. No one is suggering that they kill the now profitable PS3 but they are suggering that they should not launch a ps4.

You say they will milk the PS3 but they can still do that with a new console out just like they did with the PS2. They'll keep selling the PS3 at a profit while selling PS4 at a (probably small) loss from the start. They will not delay the launch past 2013, I think that's pretty much set in stone.

The PS2 was a weird case I don't think something like that will happen again, game's developpement being so much more expansive make's me doubt that anyone would bother developing for a dead system like it was the case with the PS2. With no new software, keeping the ps3 for sale will do no difference, abit like the DS still being sold today but it's selling 20k a week worldwide :S

But I admit that despite what I said, It is a possibility. But for the PS4 not launching past 2013 comment, I disagree with you mostly because I just can't imagine it happening, I cant imagine Sony at E3 saying ''Behold our new system! It's comming out in 6months!'' but for M$ on the other hand I can imagine them doing it or atleast unveil the nextbox before E3 at something like the VGAs or a M$ press event... It's just a feeling I'm having but the fact that pretty much all first party devs are saying that the PS3 has some power under it's hood and that it still can do alot of new things makes me wonder... I saw no 360devs saying such a comment yet it seems that almost every months a new PS3 dev is saying something like that. Makes me think that Sony is forcing them to say such a thing and if someone said the other way around they would be fired. If this was the PS3's last year, I doubt so many ppl would insist so much on the fact that it can still last for a while just incase such a comment could scare potential PS4 buyers.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

It was said by someone in an earlier post in this thread. I don't remember if it was you or not.

VGKing said:
ganoncrotch said:
VGKing said:
VicViper said:
VGKing said:

Whoever wrote that article seems to overlook the fact that the sales of 3rd party games is MUCH larger than that of 1st party games on the PS3.
So any increase in 1st party sales on Xbox 720/Wii U would be offset by the loss of all the profits they are gaining from the 3rd party games. PS3 should be profitable by now, so those are profits they won't have. PSP is profitable and PS2 is still selling. 

Playstation is an iconic brand. Without Playstation, millions and millions of people would never have played any games. Sony brings affordable gaming to low-income families in 3rd world countries with the PS2. Would Microsoft ever do that? Nintendo? No. Sony cares about the gamer.

BTW, PS4 could easily be sold at a profit from Day 1. Sony could just make a console equal in power to a Wii U, and it would sell purely based on better 3rd party support, PSN and brand recognition.

Yeah, they do that based on care!

Seriously laughing here!

Stay mad bro. Look at how fast Nintendo abandoned the DS and how they let the Wii(once king) fall so quickly.
Sure, as hardcore gamers we want new hardware, but not everyone can afford it. This isn't just about 3rd world countries, even in America hundreds of millions of people live from paycheck to paycheck. Gaming is a luxury to  many.

Let's see if Nintendo is still selling the Wii or DS 5 years from now. We'll see.

I'm almost at a loss for words, you think they had a business meeting where they discussed how much budget to set aside for caring for people in lesser off states? and then shipped a shipping container full of 12 year old hardware from a warehouse to donate to those people? (for money) I don't think anyone is under the illusion that the company they like the most in gaming doesn't things out of the goodness of their heart? surely?

PS2 is a low-cost console with an amazing library of games. 
Sony could have just abandone the PS2 and told everyone to buy a PS3 if they want to continue to experience great games....THEY DIDN'T.

You want proof that Sony cares about the consumer? Look at Playstaton All-Stars. Pure fanservice. Buy PS3 version get Vita version free. This goes for a lot of upcoming games as well like Sly 4 and Ratchet and Clank Full Frontal Assault. Look at the upcoming Playstation Store redesign. They've been working on that for the past 2 years and they payed attention to the crititicim of the current Store. They will also continue to do monthly updates to the new store according to consumer comments.

OF COURSE SONY CARES ABOUT MONEY, ALL COMPANIES DO, BUT OUT OF THE BIG 3, SONY HAS SHOWN ME THEY CARE THE MOST ABOUT US GAMERS.

You do realize your praising PS2 for being a moderately powered, low cost console.......and you have the balls to praise PS3 and both handhelds......when they are the core opposite to everything Sony believed in that made them great. Making consoles for the mass gamer, not making highest end specs on the market meant for the techie minority.Sonys best decisions were in the PS1 and PS2 era. Thats when they truly cared.

Your so called proof they care is misguided. LOOK, I mean actually look at the preorders for PASBR. Virtually little interest from the general PS3 gamer. Sony doesnt care so much as taking blind shots, hoping they land a punch. It aint fanservice if the fans aint buying.

The buy a PS3 version and get a Vita version free isnt because they love you, its because they need a reason for you to buy a Vita. The best deals in gaming usually come from the guy who needs the sales the most (aka Sony this gen).

MS has done many dashboard updates, but there just a greedy corporation right?

Sony isnt the Mother Theresa of gaming. They just have a ton of developers and are trying hit and miss ideas, hoping they get the next Halo or Mario. Thats it.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.