By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata Asks: Wii U (Hardware Devs + A look Inside the Wii U hardware)

Oh man, gotta love how three of the guys sat there wearing their working overalls :D

Japan will always be Japan.

OT: Looking good. The Wii U will probably become the sexiest console in my collection by far. And, given their top-notch designers, the specs are fine even if they would be on par with the 360.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

@DanneSandin : Don't get too excited.

I'm only saying that because until now we supposed that they would use the chips from the Wii to make it 100% backwards compatible, so the upscaling thing would be almost impossible. But if they have been able to bring the necessary intructions to the WiiU hardware to make that compatibility work, then there is the chance that they can use the extra power of the new hardware to do the upscaling.

But, as I said, don't get too excited.

I can't help but to get excited :D I'm how ever not holding my breath for this to happen; I'm not expecting it

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

the_dengle said:
TheKingofRedLions said:

how much actual infomation about the power of the system can be drawn from this? my guess, not that much

I dunno, I'm sure someone with a lot of tech savvy can do some ballpark deduction from the "three times as much heat as the Wii" bit.

I suspect this means that the Wii U (probably) is using between 40 and 50 Watts, and looking at it I wouldn't be surprised if the GPU is using 30 Watts. This could mean that the GPU could (at best) perform similar to the Radeon HD 7690M XT (TURKS core, 40nm, 25 Watts)

ive heard dont remember where that the wii u power supply will be around 60 or 75w , im not sure now

Chandler said:

Iwata

Not many devices out there come with an HDMI™ cable yet.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say with the gif.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
the_dengle said:
TheKingofRedLions said:

how much actual infomation about the power of the system can be drawn from this? my guess, not that much

I dunno, I'm sure someone with a lot of tech savvy can do some ballpark deduction from the "three times as much heat as the Wii" bit.

I suspect this means that the Wii U (probably) is using between 40 and 50 Watts, and looking at it I wouldn't be surprised if the GPU is using 30 Watts. This could mean that the GPU could (at best) perform similar to the Radeon HD 7690M XT (TURKS core, 40nm, 25 Watts)

That would make it nearly twice as powerful as the X360 GPU. Seems spot on from what we've all seen, but the CPU looks like it could be a major bottleneck later on. I'm kind of worried about it. Hopefully they'll pull a F-Zero OK. I'm waiting for it for nine years now...

MDMAlliance said:
Chandler said:

Iwata

Not many devices out there come with an HDMI™ cable yet.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say with the gif.

Iwata (Nicholas Cage) is firing a shot at MS/Sony (Kid)...

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Totaldemon said:

ive heard dont remember where that the wii u power supply will be around 60 or 75w , im not sure now

There was a thread about that not too long ago.

I think it was around 72 or 75w and given an efficiency of around 80% means 60w for the console.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Digital foundry on the Wii U architecture

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-what-is-inside-the-wii-u#comments

-The Wii U motherboard - elegant, spartan, minimalistic - and the MCM module, containing the miniscule CPU and the rather more meaty graphics core. Our impression is of a ruthlessly efficient design, with benefits for both Nintendo and consumers.

-first impressions reinforce the current position that Wii U's design is skewed towards a more feature-rich graphics core with rather more modest CPU power.

-it's worth pointing out that Nintendo appears to have integrated its 32MB of eDRAM into the graphics core itself

-adopting the MCM strategy centralises heat on the mainboard. This makes it easier to dissipate heat with a less expensive cooling assembly, and helps immensely in making the Wii U a significantly smaller unit overall than the PS3 Slim or the Xbox 360S.

-If there's one thing that's rather striking about Nintendo's Wii U teardown it's the minuscule die area occupied by the CPU in relation to the relatively massive GPU from AMD.

^Don't know (understand) what that means...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.