By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you dislike the most about F2P games?

Most Hated Aspect of F2P Gaming

It feels like "Pay to win" 21 38.18%

Feeling Nickel and Dimed 5 9.09%

don't want to pay for ti... 16 29.09%

Lower quality than paid games 11 20.00%

Lacking a sense of accomp... 2 3.64%

Total:55
Andrespetmonkey said:
wfz said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
All of the aspects you've mentioned in the poll seem to be fucking off from the model, aside from that last one, so I'll pick that.

What do you mean, exactly? 

Well, when I play some newer free to play games like Tribes: Ascend, I don't feel like it's holding me upside down and shaking out the contents on my pockets. The people who do pay for stuff all the time don't have the upper hand, just more variety in what class they can pick, and Tribes in an awesome game that I feel is on par with some of the best multiplayer shooters out now, from all business models. 

So... because a handful of games don't fit the first few aspects I mentioned, that means my poll is "fucking off from the model"? Yikes! These issues are very prevalent in the F2P area as a whole. Just because they aren't issues in some F2P games doesn't mean they're not still major issues. =)

Around the Network
wfz said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
wfz said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
All of the aspects you've mentioned in the poll seem to be fucking off from the model, aside from that last one, so I'll pick that.

Well, when I play some newer free to play games like Tribes: Ascend, I don't feel like it's holding me upside down and shaking out the contents on my pockets. The people who do pay for stuff all the time don't have the upper hand, just more variety in what class they can pick, and Tribes in an awesome game that I feel is on par with some of the best multiplayer shooters out now, from all business models. 

So... because a handful of games don't fit the first few aspects I mentioned, that means my poll is "fucking off from the model"? Yikes! These issues are very prevalent in the F2P area as a whole. Just because they aren't issues in some F2P games doesn't mean they're not still major issues. =)

Not a handful, all of the newer F2P really don't seem to have those issues with the exception of the last one imo. Those features or aspects or whatever are in decline.

Andrespetmonkey said:
wfz said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
wfz said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Not a handful, all of the newer F2P really don't seem to have those issues with the exception of the last one imo. Those features or aspects or whatever are in decline.

Looking at Facebook and mobile, I disagree. Whether or not the trends are in decline or are rising, they have still been big noticeable downfalls to F2P gaming in the last few years, and I wanted to see which one bothered people the most. You don't need to get so defensive, I enjoy a few F2P games myself (mainly DotA 2) and I have played Tribes: Ascend.

I will say, though, that I feel like Tribes Ascend wants to nickel and dime consumers. If you start purchasing a reasonable amount of content, you'll soon spend way over a $60 price point and you still won't have as much content as you would from... say.. purchasing battlefield 3 for $60. And unless they fixed the experience system, it's pretty much a joke even with the lifetime 50% boost from being a VIP member due to the fact that it would take a huge number of hours to unlock better items. Also, correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't played Tribes in a number of months, but can't people simply purchase the upgrades for the weapons they enjoy, instead of working for it? That fits under the "pay to win" category, as you are literally paying to get an advantage over someone of similar game experience.

That's what I like about games like DotA 2 - you can't purchase anything that gives you an in-game advantage over others. But hey, this topic of preferences really isn't something to argue about, so I don't intend to.

wfz said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
wfz said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
wfz said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Looking at Facebook and mobile, I disagree.

OK, that completely slipped my mind... you're right. I will revise my point to only include the bigger PC titles like blacklight and tribes.

Whether or not the trends are in decline or are rising, they have still been big noticeable downfalls to F2P gaming in the last few years, and I wanted to see which one bothered people the most. You don't need to get so defensive, I enjoy a few F2P games myself (mainly DotA 2) and I have played Tribes: Ascend.

I'm not being defensive lol... Maybe it came across like it but in reality this would be a calm conversation. Just imagine ":P" at the end of my last post.

I will say, though, that I feel like Tribes Ascend wants to nickel and dime consumers. If you start purchasing a reasonable amount of content, you'll soon spend way over a $60 price point and you still won't have as much content as you would from... say.. purchasing battlefield 3 for $60. And unless they fixed the experience system, it's pretty much a joke even with the lifetime 50% boost from being a VIP member due to the fact that it would take a huge number of hours to unlock better items. Also, correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't played Tribes in a number of months, but can't people simply purchase the upgrades for the weapons they enjoy, instead of working for it? That fits under the "pay to win" category, as you are literally paying to get an advantage over someone of similar game experience.

That's what I like about games like DotA 2 - you can't purchase anything that gives you an in-game advantage over others. But hey, this topic of preferences really isn't something to argue about, so I don't intend to.

I hate it because it  basis their entire business model off nickel and diming the consumer. They create games where it is very slow to progress or nearly impossible to beat with the free options that they give you. Thus if you want to get ahead (progress) in the game then the main option is to spend money. I also think it caters to lazy asses that just spend money to advance in game. I am sorry but spending money to improve your game isn't a sign of gaming skill or anything to be proud of.  Sure some F2P games have done it decently right but most of the F2P Android apps are either loaded with ads (turn off internet to avoid that) or very slow to progress/unfair advantage.  Just like one can come up with good examples of DLC that still doesn't mean I will ever view DLC or F2P in a positive manner. 

Around the Network

a good F2P game doesn't have any of these things, but most F2P games are bad and end up being pay to win, so i pick that one.
Dust 514 looks good, player well, is F2P and so far none of the items you buy give a significant advantage.

BasilZero said:
theRepublic said:
The only free-to-play game I play is League of Legends. I refuse to pay for anything. The skins are extremely expensive, and most of them look bad anyway. Since they are just cosmetic and have no impact on the game, I can do without.

It sucks to have to save and save your points to be able to buy runes and characters, but individually they are all far too expensive to be able to justify buying. Besides, with the way they are always tweaking the game, you never know if a character you just bought is going to get nerfed to the point of uselessness. It happened with me just two weeks after buying a character. At least I only lost points, and didn't waste real money.

Play DOTA2 ;O

I heard you have to pay to get access to certain characters on L0L?

I haven't tried it yet.  My friends play LoL, so it is unlikely I will be moving.  I am at Level 27, so I have already sunk a bunch of hours into the game too.

No, all characters can be purchased with the in-game currency.  You earn that everytime you play a game.  Pretty much everything in the game you can earn for free, with the exception of the costumes (skins).  You can just pay to get everything a lot faster.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
Switch - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2014/2017)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

With the exception of TF2, f2p games seem to be trash. That is however just my own personal experience.

I dislike it when you pretty much have to pay to have a powerful character and whatnot, essentially making it not free.