By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware + Software Up! Week Ending September 29th! Vita hits 3 million... or not!

pezus said:
ZaneWane said:
dont really see the point why some of you praise vgchartz numbers one week and bash it another week

It's called thinking rationally

still need proof

Around the Network
pezus said:
Nem said:
pezus said:
Nem said:

Its funny how Blizzard claims to have sold 2.7 mil copies of MoP. Looking at those numbers and past numbers the expansions had... no way those 2.7m are sold units. Has to be shipped.

They also claimed 6.3m Diablo III first week sold while the tracking here showed 2m. Then a few weeks later they claimed 10m+ while the sales here still stand below 3m (iirc).

Fact is, comparing to the same first week sales of cataclysm from this website it seems to have sold one third. Theres no way blizzard numbers are true. Unless they sold 7.4 million copies of cataclysm on week 1.

I have trouble believing that. Either way, the game is seriously in decline, wether they want to hide the numbers or not.

Edit: Actually now that we got worldwide numbers. Cataclysm sold 1.5 million copies first week according to this website. Pandaria sold 600-700k.

Yeah, something is fishy with blizzards numbers.

A bigger ratio of gamers seems to buy games digitally now than when Cataclysm came out (See: Diablo III)

I very much doubt that. Many stores make midnight events just for this game and WoW has always been strong on retail... until now that is.

As the other poster said, i doubt digital sales compose 75% of sales. I think theres definitly something dodgy in those numbers. I also dont believe Diablo 3 sold 10 millions in just a few months, unless its been released in china/korea already aswell.

Thats the only way i see these numbers been possible.

The other side of that analysis is the games are alot less popular in the west than we thought. I mean... even if these numbers are undertracked... no way they are undertracked by more than a million. I think WoW has alot less players in the west than people realise due to these dodgy blizzard numbers. The sales numbers here clearly show us that the game is selling at one third the rate of the previous expansion. Even if it was cause of digital distribution, it cant be THAT much of a difference. The games sales cant have shifted to digital by 60% of what cataclysm did in retail. It hasnt been that long ago you know...

We can also make a more recent comparison with Guild Wars 2, wich isnt typically a strong retail product, and it has sold aproximatly 900k first week (they also pushed the digital pre-purchase for the game alot). More than what WoW MoP did, and they announced 2 million sales recently. The website here rates the game at 1.15 m sold, wich means digital sales penetration to be around 45%. I dont see how MoP can have a penetration of 75%. It just isnt realistic. Digital isnt THAT farspread yet.

Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Did LittleBigPlanet PS Vita move as much hardware as people expected it to? Because it seems low to me.

Pretty much a port of the PS3 version so I don't think anyone really expected it to be a system seller. Nothing major.

I take it the PS3 got that nice boost from the super slim/Fifa release combo?

yo_john117 said:
I take it the PS3 got that nice boost from the super slim/Fifa release combo?

i would think so, that's exactly what they advertise with on tv channels every few minutes^^ and maybe some people who bought the "normal slim" as long as they can get it.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Did LittleBigPlanet PS Vita move as much hardware as people expected it to? Because it seems low to me.

Pretty much a port of the PS3 version so I don't think anyone really expected it to be a system seller. Nothing major.

It's pretty much it's own game and story line, feel and atmosphere. It's the best of the series and high lights the Vita's touch features with out being forced.It's

a new game, No doubt about it, please be more informed about a game before you try to post nonsense off as fact.

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Not sure if the Super slim Ps3 made the boost or Fifa...

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/40818/Europe/

Last year boost was +34% in Europe, compared to +110% this year.

LBP Vita has been on sale since the 19th on Amazon here in the U.S. and has yet to break the top 100 so I don't think the sales are going to be what people were expecting.

WII Code: 1732 3363 1704 6441

pezus said:
Nem said:

I very much doubt that. Many stores make midnight events just for this game and WoW has always been strong on retail... until now that is.

As the other poster said, i doubt digital sales compose 75% of sales. I think theres definitly something dodgy in those numbers. I also dont believe Diablo 3 sold 10 millions in just a few months, unless its been released in china/korea already aswell.

Thats the only way i see these numbers been possible.

The other side of that analysis is the games are alot less popular in the west than we thought. I mean... even if these numbers are undertracked... no way they are undertracked by more than a million. I think WoW has alot less players in the west than people realise due to these dodgy blizzard numbers. The sales numbers here clearly show us that the game is selling at one third the rate of the previous expansion. Even if it was cause of digital distribution, it cant be THAT much of a difference. The games sales cant have shifted to digital by 60% od what cataclysm did. It hasnt been that long ago you know...

We can also make a more recent comparison with Guild Wars 2, wich isnt typically a strong retail product, and it has sold aproximatly 900k first week. More than what WoW MoP did, and they announced 2 million sales recently. The website here rates the game at 1.15 m sold, wich means digital sales penetration to be around 45%. I dont see how MoP can have a penetration of 75%.

The key thing to remember that VGChartz numbers are not very accurate, especially for PC games. 

The GW2 devs announced 2m sold after two weeks. 

I'm the guy that said digital sales are probably not ~70-80% of the totals, but that would mean retail sales here are undertracked for many PC games.

The standard edition of Pandaland costs 50euros here in Gamestop while the Digital version you get from the blizz site costs 34.99 and it literally takes about 2 clicks to add to your account, I would have never gone for digital before but now with this expansion especially it is just so much cheaper to get it online than in a store, also because I live 1 hour off server time a midnight opening here would not have lined up to when pandaria actually went live on the wow servers, people want their wow as fast as it's available.

You might doubt or think that no one is interested in the game anymore, but you are projecting and that is no way to be going, I can tell you from experiencing upwards of 6 hour queue times to get onto our server the past week, people still love their bit of Night elf :D

:o my secret shame, I infact got the digital deluxe edition for a mount and companion pet, it was just 49euros, like.... that is the same price as the normal one in gamestop + you get the trimmins I think the special Ed of it in gamestop was closer to 80euros this time round, would be mad to get it retail.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

pezus said:
theprof00 said:
pezus said:
Nem said:

Its funny how Blizzard claims to have sold 2.7 mil copies of MoP. Looking at those numbers and past numbers the expansions had... no way those 2.7m are sold units. Has to be shipped.

They also claimed 6.3m Diablo III first week sold while the tracking here showed 2m. Then a few weeks later they claimed 10m+ while the sales here still stand below 3m (iirc).

digital sales. That's a pretty simple answer really.

It should, but I honestly don't think digital sales are like 70-80% of the total sales.

You'd be surprised. I don't buy retail pc games. Haven't bought any in like 4 years. But....I have bought about 12-15 titles on steam and other sources, including diablo 3 :D