By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - VITA = price cut next year, on a 10-year plan

Chandler said:
fillet said:
Chandler said:

I don't see how a price cut will do anything. Sony can not undercut current promotions:

This is amazon germany right now. You can get a wifi Vita + LBP for 214,95€. Or you can get a wifi Vita + 3 games for less than the MSRP.

What you on about? If the official price is lowered then that promotional price will be lowered....duh.

(someone's going to say the vita doesn't have an official price - yes it does - don't be silly).

So if Sony cuts the official pirce to 200€, amazon will go down to 150€? That sounds really healthy for Sony and Amazon. No, what happens right now is the following: The price cut is already happening, and it cuts into the margin of the retailers. If Sony officially cuts the MSRP, the will take 50€ less profit from any unit sold, so now it cuts into Sony's margin. That does not guarantee that amazon will continue to lower the price from the 200€ point.

That's just your assumption, you have no evidence whatsoever to support that claim.

You made a very direct statement and I would therefore ask you to back it up.

Around the Network
fillet said:

That's just your assumption, you have no evidence whatsoever to support that claim.

It's an assumption either way. That's part of the fun when you look into the future. But since you didn't back up your assumption (how could you) I don't see how I am obliged to back up mine.

"If the official price is lowered then that promotional price will be lowered....duh."

That's pretty direct if you ask me ;P

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Either way, like I said before, this shouldn't stop anyone here from buying a Vita.

If the price cut doesn't come this year (now it's harder, but I still believe it's a possibility) it'll only come later next year, as, at least to my knowledge, price cuts don't occur in the first semester - even 3DS "fuck it, let's do it" price cut happened in August.

We're probably 10 months away from it, minimum.

VicViper said:
Either way, like I said before, this shouldn't stop anyone here from buying a Vita.

If the price cut doesn't come this year (now it's harder, but I still believe it's a possibility) it'll only come later next year, as, at least to my knowledge, price cuts don't occur in the first semester - even 3DS "fuck it, let's do it" price cut happened in August.

We're probably 10 months away from it, minimum.

Thing is? It seems like those here who wanted a Vita now already own one. Those who were going to put off buying it until they could get a better deal or ones who were going to consider one for Christmas but still feel they can wait? They're going to wait longer now, because they pretty much confirmed a price cut for next year. If they haven't made the leap already, why would they bother now when they'll just save $50 later and will come into the handheld when there's more games? There's a pretty strong case here now for just sitting back, relaxing and seeing what happens when it comes to games and hardware sales.

BasilZero said:
(The memory card prices are the main reason why I'm holding out on buying a Vita, I wont be satisified with a 4gb or 16gb).

Likewise. I need at least 16gb to fit my PSP games and whatever I get for the Vita, along with anything else like music and movies.

I really wish they'd just come up with a software solution that worked with existing SD cards. That would've made the system SO much more attractive, price-wise.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

You can actually get a Vita for cheaper than the actual marketed value that Sony put the system on in a few places here and there, I wont be surprised if some more retailers decide to do a surprise temporary holiday price cut for the system.

I'll be getting my Vita sometime in the Fall 2013 (after I purchase a 3DS in Summer 2013). Hopefully it'll have a price cut (especially the 32 gb memory card *_*)

(The memory card prices are the main reason why I'm holding out on buying a Vita, I wont be satisified with a 4gb or 16gb).

"It's a Marathon, not a sprint"

As much as I agree with this statement, Sony cannot keep having this kind of strategy since the gaming industry can be unpredictable especially when you factor in the state of global economy. There are simply far too many variables to consider where at best all they can hope most likely hope for is break even. It also does not help with having a proprietary and expensive memory card.

Chandler said:
fillet said:

It's an assumption either way. That's part of the fun when you look into the future. But since you didn't back up your assumption (how could you) I don't see how I am obliged to back up mine.

"If the official price is lowered then that promotional price will be lowered....duh."

That's pretty direct if you ask me ;P

Your assumption goes against the status quo. Mine goes with logic, so therefore the burden is on you to provide evidence to backup what you say.

It would be a logical assumption to state that if the base price of a console is reduced, then any other promotions on top would result in a lower price of the overall package. To say otherwise is lunacy.

10 years for a mobile device sounds like a good idea.

Let me show you one of the hottest phone of 2003:

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

10 years? I doubt it, 4 years later all smartphones will have much, much more power than Vita(5-6x+ power).

DirtyP2002 said:

10 years for a mobile device sounds like a good idea.

Let me show you one of the hottest phone of 2003:

That assertion becomes even more amusing when you consider that Siemens got out of the cell phone business and sold the entire division to Benq two years after that phone was a best seller.