By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Politics of the Social Web (graphic)

Mr Khan said:
There would be issues with this methodology, namely that some people like to register their likes on facebook (so would sign up for sites like this) but avoid talking about politics too much for fear of alienating friends and associates.

I've made one or two political posts of my own, and around five or so times i've lashed out at especially dumb conservative commentary, but i stay well clear of "liking" any political entities.

Based on my experiences of Facebook, I wouldn't say you're a typical user... most people who are interested in politics will happily flaunt it as much as possible.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Mr Khan said:
There would be issues with this methodology, namely that some people like to register their likes on facebook (so would sign up for sites like this) but avoid talking about politics too much for fear of alienating friends and associates.

I've made one or two political posts of my own, and around five or so times i've lashed out at especially dumb conservative commentary, but i stay well clear of "liking" any political entities.

Based on my experiences of Facebook, I wouldn't say you're a typical user... most people who are interested in politics will happily flaunt it as much as possible.

At my work, almost everyone is liberal and will constantly openly bash Romney.  I'm legit afraid that if I say anything positive about Romney it will affect me moving forward in the company.  I just keep my mouth shut.

OT: That is an interesting graph.  Some of them fall right in line with what I would have guessed: Zillow (a real estate enitity) is far right, while Reddit is far left.  Others kind of surprise me: Farmville pretty far right.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Wait, reddit users are more likely to vote for Obama? I find this extremly hard to believe

Andrespetmonkey said:
I'd love to see the same sort of thing done for news sites

Of the reporters, or the people who watch them?

Either I think wouldn't be that suprising. 

When it comes to reporters

When you figure a lot of the consveratives are all at fox news, it pretty much means you'd expect MSNBC to be far left, other news stations slightly left.

Additionally worth noting self idetifying "Middle of the Road" journalists actually are more likely to hold liberal views on average.  (For example 75% support unlimited abortion... that is, terms don't matter, baby could be born tommorrow you can have an abortion.)

Out of something like 145 people who gave checks to politicans in 2007, i believe less then 20 were republicans

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113455/ns/politics/t/list-journalists-who-wrote-political-checks/#.UGjSxVHLEuc

and this was done by MSNBC no less... so i can't see it being rightwing propaganda to say the least.

SamuelRSmith said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Wikipedia is biased? Or maybe they are talking about the discussion pages?

No, it's the likelihood of who the typical user is going to vote for.

I assume, what they did is find everybody who "likes" Wikipedia, and then go through that list and see how many "like" Republican-type pages, and how many "like" Democrat-type pages.

Well actually, there have been a few scandals about Wikipedia being leftwing biased and male biased.

There was a case on Global warming for example where it said a sciencest who was a global warming skeptic admitted global warming was real... when he didn't, and a reporter who knew him couldn't get the article changed.  Even after he got full support from the sceintist in question... and the sceintist himself tried to get his own wikipedia entry to reflect him more accurately.

So it's not even a matter of "Some people don't like what it says about global warming" so much as it is "actual factual positions are willingly misrepresented."

In general controversial conservatives tend to have longer disent pages then controversial liberals, stuff like that.

As for the male based thing... see, all media pretty much everywhere, and how stuff involving men and women get reported differently with different words.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Well actually, there have been a few scandals about Wikipedia being leftwing biased and male biased.

There was a case on Global warming for example where it said a sciencest who was a global warming skeptic admitted global warming was real... when he didn't, and a reporter who knew him couldn't get the article changed.  Even after he got full support from the sceintist in question... and the sceintist himself tried to get his own wikipedia entry to reflect him more accurately.

So it's not even a matter of "Some people don't like what it says about global warming" so much as it is "actual factual positions are willingly misrepresented."

In general controversial conservatives tend to have longer disent pages then controversial liberals, stuff like that.

As for the male based thing... see, all media pretty much everywhere, and how stuff involving men and women get reported differently with different words.

Yeah, Wikipedia is stupidly biased that way. Almost every talk page about a politically charged subject amounts to an edit war of attrition in which the left steamrolls all dissent through sheer numbers and selective adherence to the rules. (Kind of like their method of governance in general, then.) Just compare the entry on Fjordman, where they literally can't wait to call him a "far-right Islamophobic blogger", to those on Louis Farrakhan or the Nation of Islam, which are always at great pains to use the more neutral language that they are "accused by critics" of being racist and anti-semitic despite the nakedly wackdoodle belief that whites are a mad scientist's experiment, the support for Mugabe's systematic theft of white-owned land, etc.

badgenome said:
Kasz216 said:

Yeah, Wikipedia is stupidly biased that way. Almost every talk page about a politically charged subject amounts to an edit war of attrition in which the left steamrolls all dissent through sheer numbers and selective adherence to the rules. (Kind of like their method of governance in general, then.) Just compare the entry on Fjordman, where they literally can't wait to call him a "far-right Islamophobic blogger", to those on Louis Farrakhan or the Nation of Islam, which are always at great pains to use the more neutral language that they are "accused by critics" of being racist and anti-semitic despite the nakedly wackdoodle belief that whites are a mad scientist's experiment, the support for Mugabe's systematic theft of white-owned land, etc.

Well to be fair, I could see the arguement behind the systematic theft of white owned land since essentially it was mostly do to the past racist government... if it wasn't for the fact that Mugabe fucked it all up by

A) Essentially using that land as handouts to bribe/reward the higher ups in his government.

B) Not having anyone that actually knew how to farm... turning a huge exporter of food into a starving country.

C) Not actually having any compensation

A government seizure of the land for a fair market value, while having a transition to train people from the country in farming and handing over the farms to them...

Player1x3 said:
Wait, reddit users are more likely to vote for Obama? I find this extremly hard to believe

You're joking, right?

When you join Reddit, you're automatically subscribed to r/politics, which absolutely HATES Romney. Anything anti-Obama gets downvoted, and anything pro-Obama/leftist gets upvoted quickly.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Player1x3 said:

You're joking, right?

When you join Reddit, you're automatically subscribed to r/politics, which absolutely HATES Romney. Anything anti-Obama gets downvoted, and anything pro-Obama/leftist gets upvoted quickly.

I was being painfully sarcastic