By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which home console did Nintendo support the best?

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
milkyjoe said:
I would rank them SNES > N64 > Wii > GC > NES.

SNES wins because of 4-7.

GC has the joint most in quantity but none of those games are ever going to be considered major Nintendo classics.

I wouldn't overlook Metroid Prime so hastily.

As for personal taste, I think Super Smash Brothers Melee and Luigi's Mansion will be timeless classics for me.

Agreed. But none of those games are in the list in the OP. :P

VGChartz

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I wouldn't overlook Metroid Prime so hastily.

As for personal taste, I think Super Smash Brothers Melee and Luigi's Mansion will be timeless classics for me.

Agreed. But none of those games are in the list in the OP. :P

Touché.

For some reason I thought you were talking about all releases in general.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Viper1 said:

We should also note 2 things regarding this (very well intended and put together) list.

1. The time frame from launch leading up to this 18 month cut off point.
2. Length of game development time.

Based on number 1, you have the following to consider:
NES - 52 months
SNES - 43 months
N64 - 43 months
GC - 42 months
Wii - 54 months

This means they had to support the Wii for an extra year longer than most of the consoles making it a more difficult period to support. Go back a year earlier for the Wii and you'd have a lot of software to add.

The other factor (number 2) should be considered because games take far longer to develop now than they did in generations past. Gone are the days when a team of 10-20 can make a high quality console title in 6 months.

Those are really good points.

Taking those points into account, which would you identify as the best supported system?

From the SNES on they have all been pretty equally supported.   Given the factors I've mentioned, it's simply nto really possible to objectively determine which was actually better supported.

I've also come up with a  3rd factor to consider.   The protable console factor.    During those 18 month period, did Nintendo have any new portable consoles they were having to heavily support as well?  The N64 and Wii did.   That takes away a lot of home console resources.  And the newer protables also require more development time on their games too.   Given all that, I'm surprised they've given as much for the Wii as they have.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

As always there is only one answer: SNES

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

RolStoppable said:
I am not sure why you added a cutoff at the end (the launch date of the new system). In order to measure the support in the late life of a system properly you should use the timeframe from 18 months before launch of the new home console to end of life of the old home console. Not everyone is going to buy a new console right away, so support should include games that are released on the old system while the new one is already available.

Good question.

The formula I used is imperfect, but I wanted to make it as consistent as possible. Therefore I limited each window to 18 months before the launch of a new system. Had I extended the window past that launch date, and ended it once the previous-generation console was officially dead, each window would be of a different length. For instance, there were NES games coming out in 1994, three years into the SNES' run. Whereas the last N64 game was released in August 2002, only nine months into the Gamecube's run.

So, again, it's arbitrary, but I wanted to keep the time periods constant.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
RolStoppable said:
I am not sure why you added a cutoff at the end (the launch date of the new system). In order to measure the support in the late life of a system properly you should use the timeframe from 18 months before launch of the new home console to end of life of the old home console. Not everyone is going to buy a new console right away, so support should include games that are released on the old system while the new one is already available.

Good question.

The formula I used is imperfect, but I wanted to make it as consistent as possible. Therefore I limited each window to 18 months before the launch of a new system. Had I extended the window past that launch date, and ended it once the previous-generation console was officially dead, each window would be of a different length. For instance, there were NES games coming out in 1994, three years into the SNES' run. Whereas the last N64 game was released in August 2002, only nine months into the Gamecube's run.

So, again, it's arbitrary, but I wanted to keep the time periods constant.

You could make 2 sections.

1 with support leading up to the new console and 1 with support after the new console launched.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

There's no doubt in my mind that the SNES was the most supported Nintendo console. Not only was it supported with a high number of games, almost all of them were of very good quality as well.

Of course, my opinion is a bit biased because the SNES is my favourite console of all time .

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

It's a close one between SNES and N64 for me, but because Majora's Mask is one of the best games of all-time and I would say even better than anything else on the SNES's list, combined with some of the other amazing things on N64's list, I'm going to have to say N64 takes it.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Came here expecting to say N64, but actually, that GC list is pretty good. I've played and enjoyed every one of those games except Odama (which I've never heard of, but it actually looks rather interesting) and Baten Kaitos Origins (which never made it to EU)

Certainly MP7 was one of the better Mario Party games, Baseball & Strikers were great, Battalion Wars was too short but incredibly enjoyable, Pokemon XD was a good follow up to Colosseum etc.

No 'huge' games but lots of fun stuff to be played, in any case.

N64 because I bought it with my own hard earned money made during the school holidays. It therefore has the personal factor. I also saved up to buy games like Golden Eye which resulted in the some of the most enjoyable hours I ever spent on a console.

NES was my brother's but eventually became my own. SNES was a present, the gamecube was a present and games where bought by my dad but more often by my older brothers (therefore censored to their taste, which wasn't too bad).

I bought the wii and many games as I was then in a proper job but it lacked the substance and emotion compared to purchasing the N64 and the games for it.

N64 > Wii > GC > SNES > NES