By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo punishing retailers in Japan that lowered their price for SMG?

Hopefully this isn't true because if it is it means that Nintendo may be back to some of it's old dirty tricks now that it's dominating again.  Apparently there is talk that Nintendo may be punishing Japanese retailers that lowered the price of Super Mario Galaxy by cutting off shipments of hardware and software to them.  If true this reeks of price fixing which they have been fined for in the past (the European Commision for example found them guilty of price fixing in some European countries between 1991-1998).

Around the Network

and where are you getting this information?

MS defense force

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

but where did you hear about this

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

The rumor is being talked about on several Japanese websites. NeoGAF also has a thread discussing the rumor.

Around the Network

I bet he has a friend a Disney that called him with some insider information.

I doubt it's true (that it is deliberate), but they could claim that they are not cutting off shipments because there really aren't enough of hardware and software units to go around, and Nintendo must prioritise which stores get units by how much profit they can make from each.

Probably some retailers got the impression that supply was being witheld when really it was supply constraints.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Legend11 said:
The rumor is being talked about on several Japanese websites. NeoGAF also has a thread discussing the rumor.

oh ok but i doubt that its true

I couldn't see this as being true ...

What does Nintendo gain by one retailer cutting into their own revenues in order to encourage customers to choose their store?

^thats why i dont think its true,its the retailers loss not nintys