By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is PS3 set to dominate console sales for the rest of the year?

pezus said:
TRios_Zen said:
Wait, Sony RAISED the price on the new PS3 and this is going to spur sales to dominate the holidays?

They didn't raise the price...

The entry level new slim is $20 more, so yes they did raise the price.  With previous PS3 SKUs, they never raised the price for bundles.  So they will no doubt keep the $269 price tag after the limited Uncharted bundle is through.  Price hike does not equal domination.

Around the Network

maverick40 said:
kowenicki said:
maverick40 said:
man-bear-pig said:
No, I'm pretty sure MS will dominate sales from Nov-Jan

Halo 4, Fable, Forza etc.
Plus, Xmas is more of a western tradition (UK and US) and they are both markets where the X360 dominates

The games you mentioned above will not push sales of a console. Anyone who wants to play these games will have already bought an xbox for them

Nonsense. Thats as polite as I can be.  I guarantee a hardware boost the week Halo launches.

Well show me the numbers baby! What was the boost from halo reach and forza 4?

halo reach boosted i would say the sales maybe 200k, hard to say because you never know how many bought the console few weeks after release of that game (because they didn't have money at release or so).  people probably even bought it months after release in the weeks before christmas or at black friday bcause of halo reach so i think 200k sounds not too high.

weeks starting one week before reach release week:

X360 155,977 (-6%)
X360 this is the reach release week
261,018 (+67%)
X360 188,307 (-28%)
X360 188,441

(0%)

X360 178,925 (-5%)
X360 167,597 (-6%)

pezus said:
TRios_Zen said:

When the new slim is released, the base price in the US is 269.99, right?  The current base price is 249.99.  While you could argue that they added value with the bundle, you can't really argue that the price didn't increase.

The other models are still available, so the base price did not increase. This slim has a bigger hard drive, a game, and dlc for Dust 514 (forgot to mention how happy I am about that, Icelandic power fuck yeah!!) as opposed to just the old slim for $249. There will be plenty of deals for the holidays, don't worry.

The old slim will no longer be produced; so the old slim is only available until stock runs out.  WHEN stock runs out, the new base price as far as we know, is $269, that's an increase, I'm sorry if we can't agree on that, but it seems very straight-forward to me.

You are correct that holiday bundles MAY exist, but the current content and pricing of those bundles is TBD, no way to know how that will impact sales.

So given the information I currently have available, I'd answer no, the PS3 is not set to dominate console sales the rest of the year.

Only reason im not buying Wii U at launch its because no Zelda is coming.

And i have one question :

How can i play with 2-4 people on Wii U if they arent Selling Wii U Gamepads ?

pezus said:
D-Joe said:
pezus said:
D-Joe said:
pezus said:
D-Joe said:
Need to wait will Microsoft announce a price cut or not before talk about this

How long do we have to wait? They've pretty much confirmed they won't lower their price (bundle price)

October 14 is last day

The holiday bundle still doesn't announce in NA btw

The Cod bundle was announced for $399 I think. A fucking outrageous price if you ask me, but the fans will buy it I guess

You mean Halo 4 i guess

The price can still change,just like last year,TOX PS3 bundle changed from 37980 yen to 32980 yen after gamescom(mid august) price cut(TOX released at Sep 8,just 2weeks between price cut and release date)

No I'm pretty sure it was a Black Ops 2 bundle

I suppose the price can change indeed. But it's weird, since, isn't the bundle available for pre-order?

http://oxcgn.com/2012/09/05/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-xbox-360-bundle-announced/ 

Only find the AU one,didn't find NA's BO2 bundle

Around the Network
pezus said:
D-Joe said:
pezus said:
D-Joe said:

You mean Halo 4 i guess

The price can still change,just like last year,TOX PS3 bundle changed from 37980 yen to 32980 yen after gamescom(mid august) price cut(TOX released at Sep 8,just 2weeks between price cut and release date)

No I'm pretty sure it was a Black Ops 2 bundle

I suppose the price can change indeed. But it's weird, since, isn't the bundle available for pre-order?

http://oxcgn.com/2012/09/05/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-xbox-360-bundle-announced/ 

Only find the AU one,didn't find NA's BO2 bundle

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=147431&page=1 

There was no mention of AU here, so I assumed the article was talking about NA. Looks like it was the AU bundle.

It's for AU,no announce for other country yet,guess we will see it later

No in fact I think its going to be the opposit.

PS3 didnt get a price cut. Very few people are going to go get a new PS3 just because theres a new model. Especially considering mamy feel it looks worse.

Sony doesnt have a single system seller this holiday. This really surprises me as Im not sure why theyve left the console so barren during the big months of the year.

MS has Halo 4, Forza, and the Kinect holiday boost. Not to mention COD tends to boost 360 hardware more than Sony hardware and theres a Black Ops 2 bundle not to mention a Halo 4 limited edition bundle.

I dont really see any chance of Sony winning holidays. If they had cut price then they probably would have

BenVTrigger said:
No in fact I think its going to be the opposit.

PS3 didnt get a price cut. Very few people are going to go get a new PS3 just because theres a new model. Especially considering mamy feel it looks worse.

Sony doesnt have a single system seller this holiday. This really surprises me as Im not sure why theyve left the console so barren during the big months of the year.

MS has Halo 4, Forza, and the Kinect holiday boost. Not to mention COD tends to boost 360 hardware more than Sony hardware and theres a Black Ops 2 bundle not to mention a Halo 4 limited edition bundle.

I dont really see any chance of Sony winning holidays. If they had cut price then they probably would have

It's going to get a least a moderate boost based on the redesign alone (look at teh 360 redesign). However, I do agree that without a price cut, don't expect anything close to domination. They should have a decent holiday at least, which is good considering this is probably the PS3's last holiday before the PS4 arrives.

@Jay520

The difference though is that the 360s was the 1st redisign and actually a true upgrade. It added built in Wii Fi got rid of the RROD and was just a way better built console.

The PS3 has already had a redisign and the specs are already out for this newer version and it isnt an upgrade at all other than being smaller.

Dont expect anywhere near the same impact. Now if they had been selling a 250GB system for 199 then they couldve probably won it

BenVTrigger said:
@Jay520

The difference though is that the 360s was the 1st redisign and actually a true upgrade. It added built in Wii Fi got rid of the RROD and was just a way better built console.

The PS3 has already had a redisign and the specs are already out for this newer version and it isnt an upgrade at all other than being smaller.

Dont expect anywhere near the same impact. Now if they had been selling a 250GB system for 199 then they couldve probably won it

I don't think most consumers even care/know about the actual features. If it looks new, they'll buy it.

We'll see soon enough.