By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much do core gamers differ in thinking from casual gamers?

What I will see when anything remotely discussed connected with non-core gamers (aka casual) it is like core gamers have an entirely different way of thinking to me.  It is like, I am seeing that maybe core gamers have no idea what casual gamers like or get it.  Am I wrong here?  Considering how badly people missed what the Wii would do, it might be it. I also see comments that an improved Kinect will be the rage among casual gamers, because "it is their kind of thing".  In some posts, I swear I am reading close to contempt.  In others, it looks like people who game regularly may not understand others.  Am I wrong?  Do core gamers not get what casual gamers are like?  

Feel free to comment and tweak what I am saying to maybe be more accurate.  But, I do believe I have seen people get upset at the likes of Angry Birds, for some reason.

Around the Network

I don't exactly understand your point, Richard. You are addressing something quite obvious I believe. Yes, you are correct in that core gamers in general don't understand casual gamers, and vice versa. And yes, there is contempt and elitism displayed by core gamers towards casuals.

Hardcore Gamers -> Willing to embrace challenges in games, learn and get better.

Casuals -> Expect easy mode games. Get frustrated when they lose in a game and rage. Prefer to button mash than learn to play a game properly and enjoy all its features.

When they see someone good in games they'll call them out, saying they have no life. And they'll talk about some imaginary girl that they shagged and laugh at that "hardcore" nerd for wasting all his life on playing games.

Doesn't want to waste time on playing games anymore but spams all his friends on facebook with all his The Sims/Farmeville invites.

RolStoppable said:
. This then leads to hilarious leaps of logic where the iPhone and iPad are stealing Nintendo's Wii consumers, because what the iOS devices and the Wii have in common is that they both suck hard.

If podcasts and articles are anything to go by, this is not true.

The hardcore love their iOS stuff.

PakChiuCheng said:
Hardcore Gamers -> Willing to embrace challenges in games, learn and get better.

Casuals -> Expect easy mode games. Get frustrated when they lose in a game and rage. Prefer to button mash than learn to play a game properly and enjoy all its features.

When they see someone good in games they'll call them out, saying they have no life. And they'll talk about some imaginary girl that they shagged and laugh at that "hardcore" nerd for wasting all his life on playing games.

Doesn't want to waste time on playing games anymore but spams all his friends on facebook with all his The Sims/Farmeville invites.

Uh-huh. So 6-year-olds, soccer moms and grandmas say these things to you? Good Lord.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network

Generally less critical of the games they play, and with less sure ideas of what they will and won't like in games they have not played. 

noname2200 said:
RolStoppable said:
. This then leads to hilarious leaps of logic where the iPhone and iPad are stealing Nintendo's Wii consumers, because what the iOS devices and the Wii have in common is that they both suck hard.

If podcasts and articles are anything to go by, this is not true.

The hardcore love their iOS stuff.

I think there are people who are just gamers, who like games of all sort.  If this is what you refer to, then I can agree.  However, you have what gets labelled as "hardcore", individuals who mock stuff like Angry Birds and flash games, who are different.  The cliche thinking is such individuals like gore, violence, shooting things, and like to have situations where they can "pwn" people and calling them derogatory statements questioning their sexuality while wanting women to be sex object that are fap worthy.   With some segment, there is accessibility as being a negative in it also.

In trying to post the original message, I was trying to reach for the correct terms and probably missed it some.

Slimebeast said:
I don't exactly understand your point, Richard. You are addressing something quite obvious I believe. Yes, you are correct in that core gamers in general don't understand casual gamers, and vice versa. And yes, there is contempt and elitism displayed by core gamers towards casuals.

I was trying to get a proper frame of mind here, when I am reading posts where you see some regular gamers make out people who don't have games as a hobby (but will dabble with sometime) as almost an entirely different species, if not ethic group or race.  I ask this, because I remember the "back in my day" when you had arcades, coin-ops had to have some appeal in being accessible to new players to get them in, but also ramp up the challenge.  There was not some sort of divide, just videogames being games.

richardhutnik said:
Slimebeast said:

I was trying to get a proper frame of mind here, when I am reading posts where you see some regular gamers make out people who don't have games as a hobby (but will dabble with sometime) as almost an entirely different species, if not ethic group or race.  I ask this, because I remember the "back in my day" when you had arcades, coin-ops had to have some appeal in being accessible to new players to get them in, but also ramp up the challenge.  There was not some sort of divide, just videogames being games.

Yeah, good point about the coin-ops. But today is a different market, it's so widespread where you target games to entirely different demografix, with everything from the extreme casual to extremely complex and niche strategy games.

I loved the coin-ops. I played them all in the 80's. Do you play on Mame?

"hardcore" gamers probably don't know how the world outside the TV screen looks!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(