By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS2 2001 sales numbers vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =)

ps2 still selling after 9 years and you say ps3 wont hit 50m after just 2 year at its highest price? cobblers

Around the Network
gavind5uk said:
ps2 still selling after 9 years and you say ps3 wont hit 50m after just 2 year at its highest price? cobblers

Sorry but the PS3 is not the PS2, not even close.  PS3 better compares with the gamecube then the PS2 (though both are unfair), gamecube didn't even really have a 5th year it was already dead.  For the record the PS3 is still tracking behind the gamecube in Japan and almost tied (appears to be fractions behind) with the gamecube in america.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Im happy to agree that the numbers arent as good at the moment, but the price & economic climate is unprecidented as well, as long as we dont know where sony will go with the price its pure speculation this early on in the life cycle to make such grand pronouncements imo.

gavind5uk said:
Im happy to agree that the numbers arent as good at the moment, but the price & economic climate is unprecidented as well, as long as we dont know where sony will go with the price its pure speculation this early on in the life cycle to make such grand pronouncements imo.

I guess some PS3 fans haven't given up on the assumption that everyone is just waiting for this and that.  I've spent all generation listening to it.  People aren't waiting, they don't care that much about the PS brand. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Well if sony sticks to their 10 year plan then your talking about them averaging less than 4m units a year and considering some of the titles coming out next year alone, along with the inevitable long term price reduction, i think that 4m average is greatly underestimating the product. especially when it has averaged 9m a year at a 'too expensive' price.

I dont think we will agree on this one, i will get back to you on sale 50,000,001 lol

If at the end of the cycle we are at 49,999,999 i will gladly vandalise my sig with whatever you wish lol

Around the Network

I know you all like to think when the price comes down to PS2 levels it will start selling PS2 sales levels, but that is a rather silly assumption. Sales are not wholly dependant on price.

If the PS3 has it's next price drop in early 2010 (it will likely be later than that) say a further $100 off, it will help sales for a while before it dies down again.... being at a similar price to the PS2 would have done wonders for the PS3 if it was at, or near launch, but that late into the cycle it is more a move to keep sales at a good level for a bit longer rather than dramatically increase sales.

True, the huge launch price may help Sony to keep the PS3 alive a bit longer, because they have more room to drop price (ie lose $100 each year) but Sony are not going to be able to bring the price down fast enough before people are getting into the next generation properly, even though Nintendo and MS are probaly willing to stretch this gen, it will be at least 2 if not 3 years from now before the PS3 could be at the current Wii price, which is still a high price for a console, but more dramatically so when said console is 5 years old.

Even so, 50 million is well within reason, and with some luck, 75 million is a possibility (right out on the edges of possibility) but the most likely scenario (ie I would say an 70% chance of being in this range) is 45-50 million.

johnsobas said:
gavind5uk said:

Sorry but the PS3 is not the PS2, not even close.  PS3 better compares with the gamecube then the PS2 (though both are unfair), gamecube didn't even really have a 5th year it was already dead.  For the record the PS3 is still tracking behind the gamecube in Japan and almost tied (appears to be fractions behind) with the gamecube in america.

you are jocking right ? i mean....the gamucube was available for $99 in 2003(i believe its second year)

the PS3 $400.....alot of consoles was released with a $500(and higher) price tag and never did good in terms of sales..they never got to 10million(in my knowledge).......PS3 @ 18million right now.....it says alot

321tttrini4everz said:
johnsobas said:
gavind5uk said:

Sorry but the PS3 is not the PS2, not even close. PS3 better compares with the gamecube then the PS2 (though both are unfair), gamecube didn't even really have a 5th year it was already dead. For the record the PS3 is still tracking behind the gamecube in Japan and almost tied (appears to be fractions behind) with the gamecube in america.

you are jocking right ? i mean....the gamucube was available for $99 in 2003(i believe its second year)

the PS3 $400.....alot of consoles was released with a $500(and higher) price tag and never did good in terms of sales..they never got to 10million(in my knowledge).......PS3 @ 18million right now.....it says alot

Well, how many of those that launched with a $500 price tag had a 120 million+ selling predecesor?

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

dolemit3 said:
321tttrini4everz said:
johnsobas said:
gavind5uk said:

Sorry but the PS3 is not the PS2, not even close. PS3 better compares with the gamecube then the PS2 (though both are unfair), gamecube didn't even really have a 5th year it was already dead. For the record the PS3 is still tracking behind the gamecube in Japan and almost tied (appears to be fractions behind) with the gamecube in america.

Well, how many of those that launched with a $500 price tag had a 140 million+ selling predecesor?

FIXED

ummm..good point though....PS3 is bound to hit 100million due to the high selling predecessors(ps2 and ps1) plus a price cut LOL

just like me...a ps1 and ps2 owner, i don't own a PS3 360 or a wii.....the only console that interests me is the PS3...well it is really a matter of time b4 i get the PS3

321tttrini4everz said:
dolemit3 said:

Well, how many of those that launched with a $500 price tag had a 120 million+ selling predecesor?

FIXED

ummm..good point though....PS3 is bound to hit 100million due to the high selling predecessors(ps2 and ps1) plus a price cut LOL

just like me...a ps1 and ps2 owner, i don't own a PS3 360 or a wii.....the only console that interests me is the PS3...well it is really a matter of time b4 i get the PS3

Fixed again. It has been proven over and over again that sony has only produced 140m, not that 140m (or more) have actually been sold to the consumer. I'm sure they will make it there adventually, but they haven't hit it yet.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)