By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does Nintendo limit WiiU stock and intentionally cause shortages, again?

They intentionally cause shortages in order to build hype for the console, but I don't know if it was intentional this time, due to reports about problems manufacturing the controller.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Around the Network

No one intentionally wants to NOT sell units, I have no idea where that came from. "Hype" does you no good if you're out of stock. Anyone in business knows that a lost sale might not come back.

Manufacturing new electronics can be tricky. Supply lines might not be able to meet demand, there might be quality problems with your assembly methods, and there will always be a cap on how many units you're able to produce in a day. You can't just order 20 million units by Tuesday. Production is almost certainly in full gear.

Flanneryaug said:
They intentionally cause shortages in order to build hype for the console, but I don't know if it was intentional this time, due to reports about problems manufacturing the controller.

This is the truth. To artificially make your product to appear it is in high demand. It's not unreasonable. But it could be a controller issue.

The Wii shortages were explained. Nintendo had no idea what the demand would be like. You can't just "ramp up" production on something as soon as the pre-order results come in. It's a decision that has to be made months ahead of time, and the biggest selling time for a console is usually it's mid years, meaning that demand for Wii was going up just as Nintendo was struggling to keep in line with the demand. With Wii U, they probably thought there wouldn't be much of a demand, at least not on the scale of what the Wii had.

I'm sure Nintendo also doesn't want a repeat of the GameCube where there were so many of them sitting in warehouses and on store shelves that they had to temporarily stop production on them in early 2003.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Jon-Erich said:
The Wii shortages were explained. Nintendo had no idea what the demand would be like. You can't just "ramp up" production on something as soon as the pre-order results come in. It's a decision that has to be made months ahead of time, and the biggest selling time for a console is usually it's mid years, meaning that demand for Wii was going up just as Nintendo was struggling to keep in line with the demand. With Wii U, they probably thought there wouldn't be much of a demand, at least not on the scale of what the Wii had.

I'm sure Nintendo also doesn't want a repeat of the GameCube where there were so many of them sitting in warehouses and on store shelves that they had to temporarily stop production on them in early 2003.

Yep, Nintendo went from a console that sold 22 million over its lifetime to one that would do that in a year.  It's hard to just ramp up manufacturing that quickly while maintaining quality.  The curse of Nintendo's innovation is that they're going to struggle with figuring out the best way to manufacture their new hardware and that's going to limit monthly production during the infancy of the console.

Around the Network

Umm.. Do we know this for sure yet? Or are we making guesses again?

Or am I being trolled... By Galaki... Again...

Galaki said:

Again, they did what they did as they did with the Wii.

They clearly undershipped the amount pre-order units allowed.

Next gen hasn't started yet, apparently.  What does Nintendo gain by oversupplying vs undersupplying?

The real question would be what amount of current preorder stock was allocated for deluxe to regular. Taking it a step further someone make a threat/poll asking what they feel the total pre order amount allocated so far is. I'm curious did they make it 50/50 or 75 reg 25 deluxe. How many total? 1 million 3 million? My guess if thy really sold out of all deluxe pre orders already the reg edition is soon to follow, and what will that say for nintendos future. If Nintendo are mainly for kiddies then I'm doubting these orders are from parents( way to fast of a sell out for them to even find out. Under 24 hrs)

. I know for me Thursday night I pre ordered a deluxe and 5 games. Read about the shortage and next day I tries to do a second deluxe and couldn't so I pre ordered 2 more reg versions and 3 more new games :). With the intention of picking up 2-3 more deluxe editions. Yeah I may sell a few on eBay , however , 1 is for me, 1 for my son (reg), 1 for my parents( once they use it for tvii all their old neighbors will pick one up too, so that's more or less trying to help Nintendo reach a larger audience. And either 1 for my brother or if he doesnt want then that's 3 on eBay/Craig's list

I can't start threads yet :( so unless someone already created one would anyone mind starting one. For total allocated for preorders and or another for % between deluxe and reg editions. If anyone does create than Ty in advance.

Ps typing on my crappy iPhone auto correct is a pain so don't mind my writing errors ;)

richardhutnik said:
Galaki said:

Again, they did what they did as they did with the Wii.

They clearly undershipped the amount pre-order units allowed.

Next gen hasn't started yet, apparently.  What does Nintendo gain by oversupplying vs undersupplying?

Nintendo is clearly limiting the number of pre-orders. It's sold out in a day. What proof do you need?

This is a dumb question.... sorry.

Even the 360 and PS3 sold out at launch... hell probably Vita did to. There is simply no way they can manufacture enough in the very beginning unless it is a crap product with zero software or greatly over priced.

Also, only the Deluxe set is sold out. So clearly demand is for the more expensive model with everything and in Black.

100% of Nintendo's first month of product will come to US/CA. That is why Japan/EU don't launch until December. But it simply won't be enough.

Even Samsung's Galaxy S3 was sold out as will iPhone5 and did iPhone 4s and all previous. Its just a part of a new popular product launching. The manufacturer finalizes it and begins production with as much as they can produce... initially that's not even at 80% capacity as you have to do a lot of initial testing and tweaking of the process to get it up to full speed.

This is why you're best bet is to always pre-order. You don't even have to really pay for it until launch day. If you can live past day one without it, even easier is to just order online and let it be shipped.

finally, I'll have a few on Ebay. :) more than happy to let you bid on one of them in October.