By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it just me $60 for a Wii U game is not too expensive.

Is $60 (USD) too much for a Wii U game?

$60 no big deal. 90 30.51%

I'll pay $60 but wish it was still $50. 105 35.59%

I will wait for the games to go on sale. 47 15.93%

I refuse to buy a Wii U, ... 28 9.49%

If Nintendo corrects this... 11 3.73%

Resultz. 14 4.75%

Total:295
Teflon02 said:
Nothing wrong with 60 as long as the games worth it, something like CoD is fine at 60, but if NSMBU is $60, then that's a issue, cause anything over $40 for a side scroller is to much, and that was my problem with the wii NSMB, $64.99 everywhere is complete non-sense, i only have it cause it came with the wii when i rebought a wii for the red thinking mario allstar was in the box :p

basically this.  That is why I did not bought Rayman.  60 bucks for a 2D sidescroller? It should have been a $15 PSN/XBLA title.

Around the Network
Red4ADevil said:
Euphoria14 said:
Red4ADevil said:
Given that Nintnendo has kept their price tags under 60$ for decades (except for the N64) It's only fair that they raise it to 60. I mean look at the Wii; if they made it the same way as the other consoles, then they' would've antied up the price too because of the more expensive hardware.

Now that they made the Wii U's with graphics and hardware (currently) on par with what we already seen on the other two consoles, the price is gonna take some time to get used to.

Look on the bright side. For us Club Nintendo members; if this price point is confirmed, they're probably going to increase the value of the game's reward points. Thus more points for us to get free stuff.

It was very common to find SNES games costing $70-80+.

True they were common but thats becuase most of thoes games utilized acutal pieces of hardware within the cartridge due the game and console needing them. StarFox was pricier than most because games like thoes used (at the time) state of the art co processors and other components to give the SNES a boost. That was the beauty behind cartrigdes and that justitfied the price of thoes games.  I remember reading about Street Figher Alpha 2 needing a special chip for some kind decompression on the SNES.

I understand why they cost as much as they did.

I just wanted to correct you.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Heavenly_King said:
Teflon02 said:
Nothing wrong with 60 as long as the games worth it, something like CoD is fine at 60, but if NSMBU is $60, then that's a issue, cause anything over $40 for a side scroller is to much, and that was my problem with the wii NSMB, $64.99 everywhere is complete non-sense, i only have it cause it came with the wii when i rebought a wii for the red thinking mario allstar was in the box :p

basically this.  That is why I did not bought Rayman.  60 bucks for a 2D sidescroller? It should have been a $15 PSN/XBLA title.

i waited for the price to drop for it 2 and got it free with my vita instead cause even though i loved the demo and it had amazing reviews that game isn't worth 60 its like a 10-20 dollar psn title, but a little longer then most so 30 is the most they shuld have released it for plus, it was dumb to make it a disc game in the first place

$60 is no different than their PS3/Xbox 360 counterparts, so no; Wii U games should not be priced the same as Wii games.

The real issue here is whether the default price for all console (and increasingly for new release PC games) should automatically be $60, when there is a huge disparity in production and marketing budgets between various games being sold at the same price.

Sure, this is how it is in the movie industry where a ticket costs the same regardless of whether a film is an indy film made on a shoestring budget, or Avatar, made for a quarter of a billion, but with games being a license and or piece of inventory, the two products being sold aren't comparable.

But as the boxed game retail model decreases in relevance, it's likely there will continue to be a shift in terms of tiered game pricing for new release titles as we have already been seeing with games distributed through DD services like PSN, XBL and Steam.

So maybe the question is which games being sold for the box retail model should be allowed to get away with being priced at $60, regardless of platform, because there are plenty of games being released as such specifically because so many consumers have been conditioned to pay standard box retail prices for anything that isn't clearly a low budget release.

JazzB1987 said:
Teflon02 said:

So 60 for a game with really bad single player which has just 1 thing that makes it worth buying/ being fun or being difficult   which is strangers you meet online and that actually have nothing to do with the game at all  is okay.
But 60 for a game thats fun and which has fun singleplayer is not? (sure nsmb is not the best game and its boring by now but so is COD  but thats not the point people should rate games individualy and not compared to predecessors or competitions games)

Makes no sense to me.  Seriously   you play against other people   that are not part of the game so how is COD worht more money than 2d Mario?

IMHO people who play games online should get paid because they make other people buy the games (with crappy short singleplayer) so the publisher gets money.  I dont see why the publisher/dev combo is the only one that should get money here because they are clearly not the ones offering the fun etc they just built the infrastructure to have fun and  lay back and get money becauce  you might find cool strangers online to play with tell this your friends that will also buy the game and tell their friend other people not related to activision offer fun online. ...

Okay, what are you talking about now? Did I say anything about a games fun factor or am I talking about what the game offers? I'm no a CoD fanboy or anything but it has Co-op a single player and a multiplayer people play for years. Whether it is all rehashed and reused over and over isn't my point. My point is a game with more things to do is worth more. NSMB series hasn't done anything really with nsmb2 or nsmbu and honestly shouldn't be a expensive game. By your logic NSMBU should be the Same release price as Uncharted 3 was? Am I correct? All i know a typical sidescroller whether mario rayman megaman etc seem overpriced at 60. I'm a BIG Megaman fan, but if they made a new Megaman game that was Megaman X series, and it was 60, i wouldn't buy it till it atleast hit 40. But if it was Megaman Legends 3 on PS3 or something and it was over 20 hours and so on I'd pay 60 for that hands down. It depends on the game. The only sidescroller I can easily pay 60 for is a LBP and thats because its online 4-player and has all kinds of otber things and has millions of stages(over 7 million). Also has different things like racing, top down rpgs, i played a rpg someone entirely made where you buy armor abd so on and its like a hour. So point is, don't flip what i said. I don't care what the fun factor is for the simple reason people have different opinions. Me one of my most anticipated games this year is Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and I see alot of haters, saying its a MK7 clone yet its not like it other then the genre. I loved the first game also. I also think the Sonic the Hedgehog '06 wasn't that bad other then The lack of debugging and i loved silvers gameplay since most hated it. 

Around the Network

$60 is cheap but it was expected. Only Sony and MS will dare to increase the price to $70 in next gen. We will see, it depends on the big publishers too.

But I agree with the guy who said it sucks that games drop in price so fast. It sucks to buy a game at $60 and perhaps you don't have the time to play it for a couple of months and all of a sudden discover that it's sold at half price.

60$ is too much for all consoles, the price kills software titles for smaller marketed games. If PS4/720 goes to 70$, then I do not think many games will be bought until it becomes used. Slightly like the Japanese market.

$1 per hour is still the limit. if the game is short don't buy it.

The prices doesn't bother me at all, besides i only pay full price for selected games. If i don't want to pay full price, in less than a year, you could find the game at half price, but we all know the problem with nintendo, the prices will be the same for years.

Nothing wrong with the $60 price tag, except you can't price everything the same. A game like mario is made so many times that it does not take that much effort to build a game. There should be tier system in pricing according to quality of games.