Forums - Nintendo Discussion - iPhone 5 is killing the WiiU, somehow

Choo Choo! All aboard the doomed train

Ticket, please. 57 100.00%

Total:57
archbrix said:
maverick40 said:
Galaki said:
maverick40 said:

Because a big chunk (60% approx??) of the people who bought the wii were casual gamers when the Wii was the big fad. Now the iphone is the latest fad and has tonnes of cheap/free games to keep kids/ casual gamers entertained. I see kids/casual gamers playing iphone/ipad games the whole time everywhere I go. 

noun
a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., especially one followed enthusiastically by a group.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's a fad. Especially, when it doesn't even threaten your manhood.

Eacxtly, thanks for clearing it up for everybody. The wii was a temporary fashion for the casual gamer. Cool story but I have a wii and an iphone and i can tell you that the Iphone is currently the "COOL" thing to have, just like the Wii was. 

And why can't WiiU become the "cool" thing to have after its release?

Because it doesn't have a USP like the Wii had. The Wii was so popular for two things: Motion controls and Wii Sports. The Wii U has neither the "go to game" or a completely new way of controling the game.  

Around the Network

The $199.99 iPad mini which is going to have its own conference in October apparently is likely going to be a bigger thorn in Nintendo/Sony's side this fall.

A lot of kids are going to be asking for that as their must-have Christmas gift and a lot of teenagers/budget shopping adults are going to be all over that too.

I think Nintendo may have been smarter to move their conference up a week though to avoid being in the aftermath of Apple's conference.

NINTENDO - perpetually doomed since 1889.

sethnintendo said:
freebs2 said:
I want to buy the WiiU...... No wait I have to buy the iphone5 !!!!

Buy the Wii U and wait for the iphone 6.

I guess the iphone6 will be overshadowed by the ipad4 presetation, so I guess I'll wait for the iphone 7.

Nintendo WiiU pad controller had a curve design, is there any chance Apple will sue Nintendo?

Around the Network
sepoer said:
Nintendo WiiU pad controller had a curve design, is there any chance Apple will sue Nintendo?

They are suing a Polish grocery called "A.pl" for sounding like Apple. So, anything goes.

McDonaldsGuy said:
The Wii U will not have the same appeal the Wii had, but will do OK. 40 million total is most likely - great for a Nintendo console.

That's ridiculous.

If rumours are right, and the Wii U is cheap with cheap components, the only company doomed is Sony.

But we have no idea what'll happen to MS or Apple next gen. We don't know if the Steambox even exists.

We don't know if game delivery through Samsung Smart TV's will beat everything.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
The Wii U will not have the same appeal the Wii had, but will do OK. 40 million total is most likely - great for a Nintendo console.

That's ridiculous.

If rumours are right, and the Wii U is cheap with cheap components, the only company doomed is Sony.

But we have no idea what'll happen to MS or Apple next gen. We don't know if the Steambox even exists.

We don't know if game delivery through Samsung Smart TV's will beat everything.

Wii is cheap and with cheap components, what happened to PS3?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

maverick40 said:
archbrix said:

And why can't WiiU become the "cool" thing to have after its release?

Because it doesn't have a USP like the Wii had. The Wii was so popular for two things: Motion controls and Wii Sports. The Wii U has neither the "go to game" or a completely new way of controling the game.  

The WiiU is being sold around the design philosphy of the WiiU Gamepad/separate screen/streaming ability which we've never seen on this level, much less out of the box before.  Before the Wii launched, did you really declare Wii Sports "the reason people will buy the Wii"?  Who's to say that WiiU won't have its own game(s) that brings people in?

Furthermore, regarding your first post, all we know about Durango and Orbis is that they will offer more power.  So to say that they will sell better "for sure" when WiiU hasn't even launched yet and we know practically nothing at all about the new consoles is blindly presumptuous on your part.

Jumpin said:

I don't really see how one is going to effect the other much. Maybe if the press conferences were on the same day at the same hour; and instead of Apple announcing a new telephone, it was Microsoft announcing a new gaming console. I just don't see people saying "Well I am not going to get a new gaming console because I am buying a telephone instead!" unless it is as a lame self-demonstration of some twisted bias they have.

It's the same as a PC gamer saying "Well, I'm getting Netflix, I guess that means I'm not going to play World of Warcraft anymore."

Or stuff like, "Who needs Black Ops 2 when I have Angry Birds?"